“a basic hotel but had all we needed”
Review of Hotel Augustea

Hotel Augustea
Ranked #564 of 1,268 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 23 August 2011

My partner arranged a four day surprise visit to Rome for my 70th birthday. It was on a budget, booked through Citalia, who sent us to Hotel Augustea. Everything said by previous reviewers was correct - no lift until you have got the cases up a few stairs. This was OK as we only had small cases, but if you were disabled and had a large suitcase, it would have been a problem! Our bedroom was small on the back of the hote, but I had asked for a quiet room and got just that. Considering the hotel was on a very busy street, we could hear very little even with the window open, which we did not need because the air-con worked well. It was quaintly furnished as per an old hotel, but very clean, plenty of hot water and enough room to hang our clothes for a few days. The towels, although they looked like teatowels, did the job and were changed daily.
The breakfast room IS small , but if you have an early breakfast or a later one, you should find a seat. Plenty of cereal, meats, cheese and lovely rolls, jam honey etc. Just what you would expect of a continental breakfast in a basic hotel, and we certainly did not starve. Staff were very helpful and spoke excellent English.
All in all, a very adequate hotel for the price paid, £250 each for four days including our flights with Easyjet, which were fine too!

Room Tip: Quieter rooms at the back, bit dark but who cares when its sunny all day outside
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hilly005
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 13 August 2011

I have just returned from Rome and as luck would have it, my Holiday agency fixed this hotel at Rome for the three of us. Apart from location ( Termini is nearby , but there are plenty of better options near Termini) there is NOTHING to recommend this hotel. If you are expecting to find a smooth transit to your room after a hard day's travel....forget it ! There is lift which accommodates either you or your luggage and goes only upto 1st floor
. If you are accommodated in the better rooms housed on the 2nd floor, you need to pull your bags and everything up a steep staircase ....that's a horrible experience and I just don't know how they call it 3-star. The two guys and the breakfast-room lady are smiling and friendly, but that hardly helps with a worthless non-cooperating manager calling the shots over telephone. Sorry, take a pensione if nothing else , but avoid this one, by all means.

Room Tip: The rooms are depressing. No recommendation.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank myfreerun
Reviewed 28 July 2011

the location is very good, just few blocks from the train station and the turist bus stop, the staff were very friendly and helpful, our room was spacious and the bathroom clean and new but quite small.
breakfast was ok but the there's only 4 or 5 tiny tables so you have to go for breakfast or very early or late otherwise u'll have to queue for a table. apart from that the hotel is fine, basically you get what you pay for

Room Tip: there is no lift!!! ask for a room in the first floor if you have heavy bags
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 June 2011

I paid Eur140 for 2 nights in this hotel and thank God I didn't spend one more cent!

GOOD POINTS:-
- Nice staff;
- Clean Laundry;
- Slept peacefully every night (tough to say the truth, it was the first time ever I put a chair against a hotel bedroom door for peace of mind);
- Hotel is very close to all places of interest in Rome;
- Amongst other shops, there is a supermarket and a pharmacy close to the hotel which always come in useful.

LESS GOOD POINTS:-
- Fairly clean room;
- Smell of drainage in my room (thank God I had a good body spray which I used quite a lot during my stay);
- very old furniture and bathroom fittings (fixed, non-adjustable shower head for example);
- Mould on bathroom ceiling;
- Bedroom and bathroom window overlooked a literally spooky, dirty shaft (I kept windows, blinds and curtains completely shut during my whole stay);
- No internet in my room and since I was at Rome for work I had to work with my laptop at the reception area;
- Breakfast was good for my standards since I only have a bowl of cereal in the morning but very poor when compared to other hotels;
- Breakfast room is tiny,only sits 4 small tables;
- I don't know about the other rooms, but my room was tiny and not advisable for claustrophobic people;
- In the bathroom I had to sit sideways on the toilet since the bidet was very very close to the toilet.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank zokra
Reviewed 18 April 2011

We chose this hotel, last minute, as it was in a central location for the big city of Rome. The taxi journey from Ciampino Airport was only 30 minutes and should be for a fixed price of €30 (check with the driver!).
On arrival, Reception explained we needed to pay an additional ‘city tax’ of €2 per person per night! We found our double room was very clean, quite spacious and with good lighting. There was no bath, but a good shower, very small shower gel (not replaced) and no extras.
It was fairly warm when we stayed, so at night we turned on the cool air-con. Unfortunately it didn’t work so we had to sleep with the window open and the traffic outside was very noisy. On the second night we asked the staff to look at our air-con and we were told they don’t switch them on until May! We asked for a portable fan for the night but they were all being used in other rooms.
The breakfast room was tiny, there was no fresh fruit juice, nor fresh fruit, but the coffee was fine; pastries, white rolls and tea were available.
All of the major sights are in walking distance. There was no queue for the Colosseum (it was free for National Heritage Week!), but there was a queue for the Vatican Musesms (but at lunchtime it was gone). The Metro we found was efficient (we used this when it rained for a bit) but it was more enjoyable experiencing all the small streets.
Overall, we found this hotel to be good value, but we wouldn’t stay here again as there are plenty of hotels around this area.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple