“Functional, clean and good value, recommended.”
Review of Hotel Noto

Hotel Noto
Ranked #1,073 of 1,273 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 9 November 2011

I recently stayed at the hotel Noto as a teacher on a school trip. The rooms were clean, well maintained and the beds were comfortable. The hotel is well run and the staff were pleasant. I had no complaints and would happily recommend this hotel to other school groups. I'm not sure if I'd be as keen to stay at the Noto if I wasn't part of a school party.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank 1980MRC

Reviewed 8 November 2011

It was the most terrible hotel I have ever visited in my life!!!! O.M.G!!!!!!!!!! Don't go for any reason!!! The place next to rabish is more clean!!!

Room Tip: Don't visit this hotel!!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank efi m
Reviewed 2 November 2011

I was a bit worried about my stay at Hotel Noto after me and some of the other 61 pupils travelling through NST with our teachers at school read the reviews. However, it's not as bad as described. Whilst the facilities are lacking such as having no areas for making tea or coffee or even anywhere to buy bottled water in the hotel (you can buy it from reception but they rarely have it at the desk), it's perfect for school groups as it offers all the basic things that you need and a really nice lounge area with sofas that is perfect for meetings ahead of days out. The rooms were okay, I was sharing with three other people and the one thing I disliked was how small the room was. The beds weren't great, the mattresses could do with being more comfortable and the duvet was far too thin but there were extra blankets in the wardrobe. There was a TV with Sky HD also but we couldn't turn it on so you're probably better asking at reception if you plan to use it.

We didn't take dinners, instead opting to go to other restaurants (avoid Self Service Restaurant in Termini Station, the restaurant across the street from Noto is lush). The breakfast was nice, the hot chocolate was to die for even if it was out of a machine and it was lovely dipping the croissants which were equally lovely in the hot chocolate. The fruit juice was nice too but avoid the cereal as the milk is a bit iffy. The staff are lovely so I've no idea what they're getting at. There was a situation with German pupils who got drunk but the staff dealt with it very quickly. The receptionists are approachable and friendly and appreciate it if you say please and thank you.

I'd probably return to the hotel if I was going again with a group as it's ideal for large groups but if you're just going on a holiday with a few others, it's probably a tiny bit too basic unless you plan to be out and about from morning until night.

Room Tip: Try and get a room facing the side street.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank unclekevo
Reviewed 21 October 2011

I stayed at the hotel for a night and my god, it was like sleeping in mudhut back in Kenya (no offence.) The beds were like rocks. I slept for about 1hour max. The staff were about as friendly as Jabba the hut from Star Wars. Not only were they the problems, I also managed to find bed bugs crawling around down below.

Room Tip: An absolute no-no.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank spence56033
Reviewed 14 October 2011

I've just come back from a school trip to Rome and Sorrento, organised through NST in the UK. We were a group of 40 senior pupils and 4 teachers. Before going, many of my pupils and indeed myself had been worried by the many negative comments on this website about the Noto. As things turned out we found them to be completely misleading. It seems to me that either the hotel has either had a complete turnaround in standards very recently or the judgement of some of the complainants has to be questioned.

All the rooms I saw were very clean, all the sheets and towels were clean too. There was no evidence of bugs of any sort. The staff were friendly and helpful both to staff and pupils.

Breakfast was the typical stuff you would expect in a hotel at this price. Juice, coffee (admittedly it was from a machine and wasn't great), cheese, meats, cereal, those chewy, morning rolls that you get throughout Italy, some spreads and a few slices of cake. My pupils, who are more used to cereal, or even, stereotypically for us, porridge, were a little wary on day one but were eating piles of the stuff the following morning.

Incidentally there seemed to be plenty of tables - there are several breakfast rooms and, early on, as one is filled the lights go on in the next one and so on. Staff were careful to point us in the right direction. There were several school trips staying as well as ourselves and 'real' people. School trips were asked to book a time for breakfast to make seating easier. Breakfast was served from 7-10. It all worked fine.

We did spot a few things about the rooms we needed fixed, such as that a couple of the safes weren't working and a few of the electrical fittings needed to be more securely fastened to the wall. We raised this at the front desk fairly late on the first night and someone came to fix most things the next day.

We did have a problem with noise from another school party but I spoke to the hotel staff and then the teachers of the group concerned and it was stopped pretty quickly. Teachers are pretty good at that.

We occupied 15 rooms and some were a little full with 4 people, two on smaller, portable beds - but not camp beds or fold out beds. Perhaps other rooms were in the state that others describe but I did walk around most of the building and did not pick up any bad or worrying smells. The rooms were furnished to a good standard, beds comfortable and no one complained of trouble sleeping. Bathrooms were fine too, although be prepared for no shower curtains or fittings for one. The whole room is tiled and there is a drain in the floor. Not what I was used to but it worked well.

The Noto is very handy for Termini station (and Republica on Linea A if you go the other way round the Baths of Diocletian and want a simpler station to navigate). Our party of 44, by then very tired, managed to walk from the Trevi fountain back to the Noto in about 30 minutes. Going slowly.

If I was in Rome to live like an emperor, away from the hustle and bustle of the city, I would pay more and stay somewhere else.

If I was looking for a reasonably priced, comfortable and friendly hotel, handy for the sights, in an area with plenty of restaurants, cafes (a very good one down the road to Termini) and bars I would have no problem with staying at the Noto again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business