“Did not get off to a great start” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bellesuite Rome

Bellesuite Rome
Ranked #653 of 1,292 Hotels in Rome
Maastricht, The Netherlands
“Did not get off to a great start”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

I booked this hotel because of the many good reviews it has received on Tripadvisor. The risk that you run by doing so is that you start expecting something truly marvellous and it can only disappoint.

Let me start by saying that most of the staff are indeed very friendly but it is hit and miss. Some of them speak hardly any English, which can be difficult indeed, especially when your room isn't satisfactory for particular reasons. Another example is that I asked for assistance with an airport transfer to and from Fiumicino the day after I landed. I gave the receptionist the details (a one-day trip to Cagliari) but I was only given a taxi to Fiumicino. There was no one picking me up on my return.

More frustrating was the fact that my room was simply not satisfactory, as mentioned before. Only two lights were working on about 25 watts and this did not exactly light up my room. I arrived late and my room was dark, also owing to the fact that the shutters were shut. Normally this is no problem but because the room was so dark, I could not find the switch to operate the shutters (yes, I felt like there was a hidden camera somewhere as I was 'feeling' all the walls for clues). To add insult to injury the shower hook was broken, which meant I had to hold it in a funny angle to get wet, causing the stream to turn into a drip.

In the morning I tried to raise the issues with the night clerk but he spoke no English whatsoever and I knew that nothing was making sense, so I hoped that the cleaners might spot the darkness. They did not and I took another two rounds to reception that evening to get things sorted. When I came back from my dinner, around eleven thirty, I could happily report that most items were fixed and found (in case of the shutter switch - next to the bed duh). The shower is still an issue because it hangs at such an angle that you cannot flood the whole of your bathroom and every bathroom beneath you.

As I mentioned, throughout all of this the staff were really friendly and not necessarily unhelpful by choice, just unhelpful by default. I was offered not to pay tourist tax. They didn't say why but I suppose it was because of the issues with the room.

Sad to say, I probably would not recommend this hotel, purely on the basis that people who only stay a short time and have genuinely little time to spend, there were too many issues to get resolved just in order to get a good night's sleep.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank WeeMan22
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

Traveling as part of a small group (8) we spent 3 nights in this centrally located boutique hotel near the Termini transportation center. As usual in large European cities the rooms are small not unlike those in older east coast American cities like NY, Boston and Philadelphia and the shower stalls are smaller yet. There is an encloseable outdoor area with tables that provided a wonderful place for our group to meet and discuss the day over a glass of wine before embarking on dinner plans. The hotel is clean, towels generous and staff friendly and helpful. Breakfast was included daily and again was very nice and typical for Euro-style breakfast- not lavish but generally heathy and very tasty. My only complaint was that the refrigerator (mini-bar?) was not cold and even after attention by staff never worked. There also was a bit of late noise- not partiers but workers doing something a few doors down at very late hours. Certainly not something the hotel had control over but it did affect our opinion of our stay. All in all I would recommend this hotel based on the service, clenliness and location.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SteveS19046
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

When we got to Rome we did not not know what to expect out of this hotel that we reserved from Montreal , Canada. From the first moment we arrived we knew we had made the right choice. Bruno and Alessandro were exceptional at the front desk. The room was perfect. The location was great and walking distance to all the major attractions. the little covered terrace was beautiful, especially with a glass of the house red. Breakfast was more than enough. Everything was super clean, and the room itself was quite large for european standards and had new fixtures. I would return again tomorrow if I could. I would encourage everyone to give it a try when in Rome. Kristin & Mario ciao

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mario514
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

I too just managed to visit Rome for the lovely snow fall and Indiana winter weather and was pleased that I had full control over the rooms temperature. (Although... the cleaning staff seemed to think we needed fresh air and kept leaving the windows open.) MOST of the staff are helpful and pleasant. There is free wifi, when it is working. The rooms were in fact pleasantly large for a boutique hotel, BUT they could have done with an extra outlet and a little more storage. (A coat hook or two would have been nice.)

But... by far the greatest failing was the bathroom. First... we stayed for 7 nights and had to request toilet paper 6 of those days. (I'm glad I always travel with a roll or two... at least to save a little space and for emergencies or packing material.) I never understood them, leaving the toilet paper holder empty. Bizarre. But the bathroom in general was terrible. The shower was LITERALLY... a 2x2-ft space... glass sides... with no place to put your soap or bottles. (And at 6'2", I couldn't even put my shampoo on the floor of the shower as I could not then reach it.) If you wished to stand in front of the sink, you could either stand in the toilet or you could stand between them... with your calves pressed against the toilet and your thighs against the sink. Oh... but the bidet seemed to have plenty of space. And before you think they needed space for the door to open into the room (no... it didn't open out either), it was a pocket door. Worst bathroom layout ever.

The room was not particularly quiet as we were not far from Nazionale (a very busy thoroughfare) and over a restaurant/bar that seemed to generate a loud crowd around midnight. I was surprised though... the bed was not as hard as is usual for Europe.

Lastly... the hotel is fantastically placed. A 2-3 minute walk to Republica puts you on the most useful of the subway lines for tourism. Termini - the central train station - is only one stop away and lets you change to the other line useful for tourists. And, the noisy-customer-generating-restaurant below is quite good and reasonable... another bonus of the site.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has a shower made for human-sized people?