“Possible the best tour I have EVER done”

The Roman Food Tour
Ranked #7 of 260 Food & Drink in Rome
More attraction details
Owner description: The Roman Food Tour takes you off the beaten path, to a traditional Roman neighbourhood, to experience the real taste of the city. Enjoy one of Italy’s most pleasurable passions, with a complete food experience and let all of your senses come alive. You will discover local secrets, become immersed in its culture and meet the people who are at the heart of these food traditions.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Now the way to my heart is definitely through my belly but even so this tour was great value and so much fun.

Our guide was Alina who was delightful in every way. I was travelling to Rome with my friend and it was just us and a family on our tour and was the best small group we could have asked for.

Our first stop was for coffee and cannoli. Wow what a way to start the day. The cannoli we tried were filled especially for us so we got to choose our toppings. I went for chocolate chip to drink with my macchiatto. We then decide to go hunting for cannoli for the rest of our trip and nowhere else held a torch to the one we had on this day.

Our next stop was for pizza. As soon as we arrived at the pizza stop we could see that we were in for a treat. Alina suggested that as there were 5 of us we chose a flavour each and tried all five. So between us we picked 5 that were quite different. I chose one with porcini mushrooms, prosciutto and black truffle. I may be biased but of the 5 we chose mine was by far the best! Each flavour that we tried was exquisite though. I have eaten my fair share of pizza around the world, and even all over Italy but this was by far the best I have ever tasted. Alina gave us a history of pizza and a bit of local history while we ate.

The next stop was for cheese and wine.

I'm not a big wine drinker but the white that we tried was delicious. This was accompanied with Genovese pesto, a 30 month aged parmesan and 30 year old balsamic. We learned all about the food regulations in Italy and it interesting AND delicious.

Next stop was at an amazing local food market. We had a caprese salad, parma ham, a baked pasta, porchetta and local wines. We also grabbed samples from all of the other stalls as we went around.

Next was lunch!!! We went to a local, family run restaurant for calamari, ravioli and gnocchi. The gnocchi was out of this world. The softest fluffiest thing you will ever put in your mouth. There was more wine and great conversation.

The last stop was to an authentic gelato shop for yummy ice cream.

You will not go home hungry from this tour. The quality of everything we had was superb. It is supporting local businesses and is educational. Our guide was so knowledgeable and friendly.

There is not too much walking involved in the tour as everywhere is quite close by but dress comfortably and for whatever the weather as a lot of the stops involve eating outside.

You have to pay cash so make sure you come prepared all though you will pass ATMs along the route.

We got lucky and had great weather and an awesome group of people but I cannot recommend this tour enough!

If you are thinking of booking... DO IT!!!

All reviews
"four hours"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Reviewed 4 April 2018

Great evening in Rome, walking from food place to place. The food was all of excellent quality, with only 2 out of about 30 items not being to my taste. Jess was very informative about traditional Italian food and what to look out for when purchasing them in the future. For the previous reason I would say make this tour one of the first things to do when you arrive in Rome.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Reviewed 3 April 2018

Loved all the places we visited! Alina was so wonderfully friendly and knowledgable about everything we tasted. It was a wonderful way to spend the morning and a great introduction to food in Italy. Loved experiencing Italian food away from all the usual tourist areas.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction