“Average and Overpriced”

Fortyseven Hotel Rome
Ranked #86 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 16 July 2012

This is a decent hotel, but nothing special. It was no better than others I've stayed at in Rome for half the price. The rooms may be newer than some, but ours was sterile and lacked any charm or ambiance. The bathroom was one of the nicer ones I've seen in Italy, but as we all know we don't spend too much time in the WC. I didn't much care for the hotel's location on a very busy, loud and unshaded avenue not far from the Tiber River. Yes, it is centrally located, but so are a hundred other hotels in the heart of the old city. Another thing that bothered me was the stiff and formal attitude of the staff. They give you a cold, appraising, almost predatory going over. It wasn't welcoming at all. All business. They answered our questions, but that is their job, not an extra. No praise for something that mundane. Nor did they help us with our bags to the taxi. They probably figured we wouldn't tip them and they would have been right. For $250 per night I'm sure they are all very well compensated.

Room Tip: Get one away from the front of the building. This is always good advice in Italy where the traffic i...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MountnBiker
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 11 July 2012

I have stayed at the Hotel 47 in Rome three times now and will upon every subsequent visit to the Eternal City. Each stay has been wonderful, with customer service that defies description. We got into a little car accident out front of the hotel upon our arrival last week, and the hotel staff came out to get our bags, check us in, entertain our children in the courtyard, all the while the General Manager of the hotel stood with me to help interpret what the police were saying and to play the role of my advocate. They even insisted on changing my flat tire for me as my family and I gathered our wits in the courtyard. Absolutely incredible!

I travel a lot for a living and even write books about it and I think I've seen just about everything. There is no way this hotel staff could have known who I was or my profession, but they have earned my respect and gratitude and will now be prominently featured in my travel articles.

Choose this hotel. You WILL NOT be disappointed!

Room Tip: Corner rooms are the biggest, so book accordingly
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 July 2012

My husband and I stayed here at the beginning of June for 3 nights. The room was very clean and modern. We found the hotel staff to be very helpful in answering all of our questions. We did eat at the hotel restaurant on the roof of the hotel. We had a great experience. The food was good and the view was beautiful. The hotel also recommended an EXCELLENT pizza restaurant, Dar Poeta, would I would recommend as well. The location is fantastic. Great hotel!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2012

This is one of the best value-for-money hotels I've ever stayed at. Location is excellent, right in the heart of Ancient Rome. The rooms are well decorated, clean and decent size. The staff are very friendly and helpful.

The breakfast is quite good (albeit only continental), and the rooftop bar/restaurant has excellent sightlines. I wouldn't recommend the restaurant for dinner though - food quality is mediocre and they reserve the best tables for those who are drinking, with the diners getting the worst views.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2012

Hotel Forty Seven is very close to the middle of Rome from where many wonders of Roman civilization can be seen within walking distance or a quick taxi ride. My husband and I were grateful it was also close to a good hospital when he had his heart attack. An ambulance came quickly and the hotel staff helped put him on board and one of them stayed with me to translate with the doctors, nurses and taxis. They were wonderful to us through out this stressful time!

Room Tip: Rooms not on the main street would be my choice next time.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends