“Great location !”

Il Piccolo di Piazza di Spagna
Ranked #1,023 of 3,722 Rome B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 July 2011

We stayed at Il Piccolo for 5 nights and, eventhough the triple is tiny, the balcony, the elevator, and the cleanliness of the room makes up for it.
Great location to Trevi and Spanish Steps.
We will go back.

Room Tip: Request a balcony room, with A/C.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Katherine O
stefanotar, Direttore at Il Piccolo di Piazza di Spagna, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2011

and we will wait for you!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 24 July 2011

I agree with most of the negative reviews: the rooms are ugly and small (even for us Parisians, used to small spaces!) and grungy and the service ranges indifferent to hostile. There was no iron available, unacceptable for a 3-star hotel in a major European city. The housekeeping cart is permanently parked in the hallway: this sounds like a petty complaint until you return from a day from elegant Rome and are struck by the site of cleaning products: this truly lacks class! We asked for a "simple" restaurant and were directed to an awful, over-priced tourist trap. We asked whether we'd parked our car legally and the receptionist didn't know. The return at night is truly unwelcoming: you must buzz from downstairs, wait several minutes, and then go up to the fourth floor (the cubicle that serves as reception is closed at night.) We didn’t know this until other guests who happened to be waiting, too, told us: no one at reception had. These same guests, enthusiastic Californians obvious trying to remain optimistic, described the hotel as “interesting”: this is not a compliment!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PacoParis
Reviewed 24 June 2011

I was greeted by name and shown to my room by Patrizia a very friendly lady who also gave me a map and gave me information on the local area. The hotel is a bit hard to find about half way along Via Due Macelli just after the junction with Via Cappola Di Case above a shoe shop with just a brass plaque outside. If you are coming from the Spanish Steps it is on the right. There is a very small antiquated lift to take you up to the 4th floor where the rooms are but it works fine so not a problem. My room was Borromini, small but comfortable and had everything I needed and was very quiet. The view was over roof tops and the church/bell tower behind the hotel. The bell rings at 7am each morning so no need for an alarm clock! The shower in the bathroom was very small and I struggled with the doors on occasions but the water was plentiful and hot. The breakfast is not good,a choice of only one croissant or bread roll or yogurt and one drink so use one of the numerous cafes nearby if you need food in the morning.
The hotel is in a great location being only 250 metres from the Spanish Steps and Spagna metro station and if you walk 250 metres in the other direction down to Via del Tritone and cross the road there is a bus stop used by various open bus tour companies. I took one of these on my first day to get my bearings and see the main sights and found it very useful. The Trevi Fountain is also a short walk away and well worth a visit. Do climb the Spanish Steps and visit Pincio for amazing views over the city and take a breather in the lovely shady park. I really enjoyed my stay at Piccolo the staff were friendly and helpful, my room was clean and comfortable and I felt safe in the area which is important if you travel on your own as I do. If you want something other that chain hotel sameness with a bit of character at a reasonable price you could do much worse in Rome.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a balcony where you can sit out.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank kowloonfan
Reviewed 17 September 2010

This little hotel was recommended to me by my Italian friend. The location was convenient, close to Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain. The service was very friendly. Few disadvantages: very old antiquated elevator, smallish plain rooms, breakfast was nothing interesting and not much. However, it is very good value with central location, clean, and staff willing to help. Unless you wish to spend 200 euro or so, this is a viable hotel option in Rome. I recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 April 2010

We returned on 04/13 from a 3-day stay at the Piccolo. The staff was very nice, especially Patrizia, the day manager. They opened their breakfast room early so we could have coffee and a quick breakfast as we were leaving early on Wed. Patrizia made a deal for the cab and then walked us out to the curb when the cab arrived; at 7 a.m.
The rooms are small, but clean. The bathroom is also small and there is only a hand-held shower hose in the tub. It is not possible to get a cup of tea or anything else there after the breakfast hour. The location, between the Spanish Steps and the Trevi Fountain
is great. This hotel does not have a lobby.

• Stayed: April 2010