Casa di Santa Brigida
US$ 511
US$ 467
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewspiazza farnesefrench embassybeautiful conventrooftop gardenyogurtpapal audiencewalking distancecold cutsthe location is perfectstayed here for nightsnunscatholicconventstvtrasteverecheesevatican
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 November 2011

The Casa di Santa Brigida is a tranquil, meticulously clean and relaxing place to stay in the historic heart of bustling Rome. I recently stayed there over 8 nights with two girlfriends and we were keen to stay at the Casa firstly, because it had been recommended to us and because we liked the idea of a tranquil environment which would allow us a small glimpse of the life of the Sisters of this Order. (I am not a Catholic and in fact, had never met a nun before so I was not sure what to expect, but I was delighted to be welcomed by the Sisters into their environment and during the course of our stay to have some nice exchanges with the Sisters who could speak English).

The fact that you are reading this review and you are interested in this type of accommodation would indicate to me that you are seeking an environment that is not offered in mainstream hotels, so I will not take up space to offer any comparison.

The location of the Casa is perfect, right on the Piazza Farnese, one minute away from the Campo di Fiori and within close walking distance of the key sights of Rome. In addition to the main bus routes, a number of small electric bus routes service the Centro Storico of Rome and there is a very convenient stop immediately outside the Casa.

The Casa is peaceful, calm, very secure and meticulously clean. The three of us each had a delightful single room with a bathroom. My lovely sun-drenched room overlooked the Piazza Farnese with its two lovely fountains and the Palazzo Farnese. It was a pleasure to throw open my double glazed windows and hear the lovely sound of the water flowing in the fountains.

Buffet breakfast is included in the accommodation price and if you wish you can also arrange to have lunch and dinner at the Casa. There is a television room on one of the floors, but we did not go there.

The delightful roof-top garden has a lovely 360 degree view across the rooftops of Rome and across the expanse of the beautiful Piazza Farnese. A lovely place to be at dusk and we spent many an evening there just talking and laughing quietly and relaxing.

I noted that some reviewers have expressed the opinion that they feel the Casa is a little expensive for a convent. I find this a strange comment as all places offering accommodation do have similar overheads. I firmly believe that there are some things in life that you cannot put a dollar figure on. One of these is the warm and genuine welcome of the Sisters at the Casa Santa di Santa Brigida!

When I next visit Rome I will be travelling alone and will be returing to the Casa. I cannot think of a more perfect place to stay for a single traveller who wants friendly, secure and caring accommodation. The delightful Sisters will welcome you warmly.

Room Tip: My friends' rooms were on the side of the Casa and they said that they were woken at times during the night by the sound of Vespas going down the narrow side street (as all windows are double-glazed to keep out noise, they may possibly have had their windows open). For a lovely sunny outlook ask for a room overlooking the Piazza Farnese. (The only down-side is that there may be some noise at night from the various gatherings that occur in the Piazza, as occurred on one night when I was there).
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
9  Thank deRohan
Reviewed 4 August 2011

This convent was a god-send in Rome. It is in an extrememly convenient location. I walked everywhere. The convent is on the beautiful Piazza Farnese which is right up against the Campo Di'Fiori with its beautiful flower market. Every night I did the "night walk" from the Campo Di'Fiori to the Piazza Navona, to the Pantheon, to the Trevi Fountain to the Spanish Steps. It was so beautiful and romantic!

The sisters are reserved, but very nice. I tried to be very respectful and friendly, and they were always very helpful in answering any questions I had. If you want internet, make sure to request it before you are given your room. Some rooms do not have internet access. The access is provided through an ethernet cable. My room also had excellent A/C.

The roof-top is beautiful and a nice place to relax. The convent also has nice sitting rooms, a library and a tv room.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank twee2822
Reviewed 31 July 2011

This was our 4th time staying at this hotel. Though we have been to Rome almost ever other year since 97, once we found this, we book it each time. For us it is more home away from home and a guest house than a hotel. The sisters are quiet because they are semi cloistered, so service is gentle. No need for tips just offer a gracious thank you or not, yet you become one remembered in their daily prayers. Their roof top terrace is lovely with a view of the city, and great place for a hot evening away from it all. The library is gorgeous. Tiny nooks containing antiques are available for sitting. The public is invited to attend prayer services, and one can request a tour of the private rooms of Saint Brigitta. The location is perfect for day sightseeing and evening strolling, close to everything. A few evenings can be a bit noisy in the summer since it is next to the French Embassy and right on the piazza Farnese where groups gather for events, which many of them were interesting to watch from the roof. But that is Rome. I plan to be there again in October if they have room. I can agree the price per room seems high if it is compared to a guest house run by a religious order, but compared to a hotel it is a bargain. And the location can't be beat for the price, not to mention the safe area if traveling alone.

Room Tip: Book early since many are repeat travelers. Other than one room, they are all lovely.
  • Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
6  Thank drshields
Reviewed 16 July 2011

My sister, daughter and I stayed in two rooms for three nights. Lovely refuge in the middle of the busy city. This was a great location within walking distance to every place we wanted to go but we also bused quite a bit because they are so easily available. Room was immaculate and while the bathroom was small it also was very clean and perfectly functional. Nuns were very hospitable and available as needed to answer questions, arrange taxi, pay bill, etc. We had an AC in both of our rooms which was also much appreciated.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank jj1919
Reviewed 5 July 2011

Pros: convenient location, catch #116 electric bus at Cancelleria to Villa Borghese Gardens (Galleria Borghese), walking distance to Via Vittorio Emanuele where you can catch buses to Termini station, Colosseum, Vatican etc., Just be careful which side of the street you are on or you could be heading in the wrong direction. You can buy bus tickets for a euro at the Tabachi shop on Monserrato or the newspaper stand with the green awning in the piazza Farnese. 15 euros plus 1 euro for each suitcase for taxi to Termini station.
Steps from the Campo di Fiori which has a morning market. Surrounded by restaurants and other shops (delicatessen, bakery). Convenient pizza by the slice place Pizzeria al tagio via del pellegrino.
Despar (convenience store) on Via del Pettinari, 70.
Convent is kitty corner to the Palazzo Farnese which is the French Embassy. Apparently you can visit it if you make an appointment in advance.
Lovely breakfast at the convent. Meat, cheese, egg, yogurt, bread, fruit, juice, great coffee! Lovely full course dinners with appetizers and dessert. You can get a wine keep. We ordered wine at our dinner and they brought out the same bottle again for our next dinner.
We had a huge room with a huge bathroom with tub and shower overlooking the piazza. There was even a sitting room with a television. Lots of tile, old squeaky furniture and doors. They charge you extra if you pay by credit card. We paid by bank draft.

Cons: no internet, no hair conditioner, no dryer, no air conditioning (but was cool enough); but if you left the windows open, the noise from the piazza or the seagulls might bother you

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends