“Great Sushi!”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Soups
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Testaccio
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

After eating our way through Italian pasta, pizza, and pastries; we opted for something different. After looking at various places with great reviews on Trip Advisor, we decided on Sakana, a Japanese sushi restaurant. They have a carousel that has different types of sushi on different colored plates and you are able to sit around the strip and choose sushi as it comes along. Each color of the plate has a specific price. However, we did not do this and ended up ordering off the menu. We order edamames, and 4 types of maki rolls. Everything was so good! The best edamames I have ever had so they were cooked to perfection and not too salty. All of the maki rolls were amazing, but one in particular named Kaison Roll was to die for! The service was fast, kind, and very attentive including all the servers, the sushi chefs, and the owner. The location was further away from us as we did not stay near the coloseum, but it was worth the expensive Uber ride. I can't wait to go back when I'm back in Rome!

Reviewed 14 January 2018 via mobile

In the past years, I have been trying to taste all Japanese restaurants with REAL japanese chefs. Nothing against the others, but this really makes a considerable difference.
Sakana is not fusion so do not expect a menu full of trendy dishes. But if you like the traditonal/authentic japanese food, this is the place to go.
My advices:
1) Book a table (the restaurant is charming and cosy, but with a limited number of tables)
2) Try raw dishes, but also cooked ones! (traditional soups, ramen, etc)
3) If you want to try different/new things, you might ask for a 'menu degustazione'
...and the latest highlight is their service. We were serviced by Ruben, a kind and knowledgeful person that really made ohr experience outstanding.

Well, now you understand why this is one of the few 5 stars that I gave in TripAdvisor!

Reviewed 10 July 2017 via mobile

A special person invited me in this restaurant and was the first time for me there... oh well, i don't know how to explain this experience... I Just Love it so much!!! The food, the place, and even the toilet was spotless!!!
Go there and enjoy a japanese food for good!

Reviewed 31 May 2017

I've had sushi in Japan and some spectacular places aground the world so I wasn't expecting anything exceptional but Sahana was just that. Very fresh, extremely well prepared - over the top service and reasonably priced for the quality. Three Americans looking for sushi in Rome and it was a find. Don't let the small footprint fool you. This is world class.

Reviewed 23 May 2017

I am Japanese living in Rome, and always bring Japanese or non-Japanese friends to this place for the authentic food, including sushi, sashimi and tempura. They also have some interesting variations, like carpaccio of different kinds, or westernized maki-sushi like those with tempra inside. You should also inquire about the specials of the day, which you find on the blackboard. A bit on the expensive side if you come super hungry but that is expected with Japanese food. Today, there are too many Chinese-run "Japanese" restaurants everywhere, including Rome, that offer non-authentic copied dishes. Here, you get the real stuff, including the Japanese style service.