See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 13 October 2017 via mobile

I had an unpleasant 2 nights stay here. The hostess has started berating me the moment I stepped inside the hostel door until she ushered me into her office/bedroom for my check-in. She kept on blaming me that she had waited me for 6 hours and not eaten; that I should have called there; that she was alone and had another hostel to manage; that she is not a robot! She had lots of issues with her job being thrown upon me. Just coming from my flight tired and hungry, I was not expecting such nastiness so that I was caught off guard and just said my apologies instead even if I know I wasn't at fault just so she stopped being nasty. But still she could not compose herself! I never understood why she had welcomed me that way. I checked-in just before 7pm and based on what was advertised on another booking website it said check-in was until 10pm. Also, my friend had emailed them that we would be late in arriving due to a cancelled flight. So far, there were no further advice for me coming from my friend regarding changes in check-in time.
With regards to the hostel, it was difficult to locate. I had asked shopkeepers on my way to find it. There was no signage outside. The stairs were too dark going up, and because I only had backpack with me I didn't bother to take the lift cos there's a fee as what I had read in some reviews. There's one door leading to the hostel and the rest were for the other occupants on that same floor. It's an apartment which had been converted to several rooms. Our room was dirty especially the toilet. The rug was just taken from the floor and placed on top of the shower enclosure just to appear that the toilet has been cleaned but when you checked on the floor there were still strands of hair and dusty, the lid of the toilet seat had been closed but when opened there were still stains on the seat and not been wiped, the sink when examined closely was dusty as well. Some people always say that it has great location but there are lots of hotels out there in Via Cavour as well as near Roma Termini station if proximity to the Coliseum is what one's seeking for.
If I would have to recommend this hostel, I would definitely say NO as I believe that there are some other places which are cleaner and have great value for your money, that's if someone is really serious in finding so. Btw it was my friend who made the booking.

PS. If there is one thing I should be thankful for, it was knowing that the hostess was German and not Italian. After all, all the Italians we encountered were accommodating and helpful even if we didn't ask them it was proven while my friend and I were roaming around Rome and Venice.

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 March 2017

i have been here one night and was terrible...and not for a day it was obvious they only try to make money on turist that doesn t know where they are going......rooms are super super full of dust and dirty...i lived in 15 hostels and i adapt to evry situation but this was impossible.....bathroom too less for guest...they say they have kitchen but it was just a fridge...no receive...no nic epeople..it s just a flat full o beds third floor no elevator...i felt disgusted...don t go

Date of stay: April 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 12 October 2016 via mobile

I really don't understand why Sandy Hostel has so many bad reviews. I booked this place for 4 nights and was really afraid of what to expect because of all that I read on the Internet, but I was positively surprised when I got to the hostel. You have to keep in mind that it's a HOSTEL (not a hotel) at an excellent location for a cheap price, so you can't really expect luxury. Still, you shouldn't expect a dumpster either! The building was weird and the hostel is at the 4th floor (there is no sign outside of the building, so remember that the address is Via Cavour 136 and check for the name of the hostel at the doorbell outside the building), but they did have an elevator and you don't have to pay for it, like some old reviews said. Once you ring the bell, someone will go downstairs to allow you in the elevator (you need a key) and then, once you check in, they will give you a key for the elevator. There is no curfew, you can come and go whenever you like it. The place is a little bit dirty. My room was dusty, but the bed was fine and the bedsheets were clean and smelling good. The pillow was really hard, though. The lockers are made of plastic, so it doesn't look very safe, but I didn't have any problems with it. You should bring your own lock. There was a toilet and a toilet + shower. When I stayed at Sandy, there were not many people at the hostel (I had the female room just for myself for two nights!), so I never ever had a problem with queuing. There was a funny smell at the corridor and toilets, but you could see that they were always cleaning the place (there was never trash in the trash bins, for instance, and you could always see the bucket with a mop around the place). The staff was nice, but you could notice that, even though there were "no smoking" signs everywhere, there was a terrible cigarette smell coming from the room where they stay (you don't go there, the check in is made standing at the corridor... Weird). There is no proper kitchen and this is a problem if you are staying for a long time. They have a microwave, fridge, a small table and that's pretty much it. They only provide plastic cutlery and plastic plates. The area around the hostel is very good. You have easy access to Termini, Mosè di Michelangelo, Coliseum, Palatino, Foro Romano, Mouth of Truth. There is a Coop very close to the hostel, so you can buy something to eat, and there are some restaurants/cafés at the street. A problem someone may find is that there is no social area, so it's difficult to make friends there. I've only spoken to the girls staying at my room. Actually, they were the only people that I saw, beside the staff, but I knew that there were more people at the hostel, because I could hear them. If you are low maintenance, don't let the bad reviews scare you, just check the hostel for yourself.

Date of stay: October 2016
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 6 July 2016 via mobile

I had booked for Mia Lodge Hostel but I think this is the new Mia Lodge? Not too sure but I think it's all owned by the same person.

This hostel is the best location. Really close to Termini, a metro station (which can take you anywhere for €1.50), the Colosseum and many other sights. There's also really good food nearby.

I stayed in a 4-bed female dorm. It was clean, the beds were comfortable and they provided big lockers for luggages (bring your own lock).

It's a quiet hostel which was perfect for me especially after a long, hot day in Rome. There's only one shower available to the dorms but I never had an issue even in what I thought would be "peak" time. Bathrooms were cleaned thoroughly during each day.

Date of stay: July 2016
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 21 April 2016 via mobile

This hotel is perfectly located, within walking distance from all the must-see in Rome. Even the Vatican museums, are only 45 minutes waling from here.
Scilla was awesome, she marked all the important spots in Rome, and even some of her own preference.
You have the little and romantic streets just crossing the avenue, with that italian spirit from the movies.
Tip: get some 0.05 Euro coins for the elevator, otherwise you will have to get to the 4th floor by the stairs. (The elevator might accept some old coins from any country, as long as they are heavy enough). After a long day of walking, you will need that elevator ;)

Date of stay: April 2016