“Don't expect much and you won't be disappointed.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel San Silvestro

Hotel San Silvestro
Ranked #527 of 1,292 Hotels in Rome
Los Angeles, California
“Don't expect much and you won't be disappointed.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2010

The best thing about this hotel is it's location. You are exactly in the middle and walking distance of all the attractions in Rome. There is a large bus depot right outside the hotel for easy commuting...but, the hotel itself is ugly. It's dated and old. Perhaps it seemed this terrible to us because we had just come off of staying in the most wonderful hotels in Tuscany and Sorrento for the same about of money or less. After the shock of this hotel wore off, we realized that we should make the best of it and we weren't gonna be in the room that much anyway. The ease of walking to the Trevi fountain and the Spanish steps made up for the other short comings of this hotel. The breakfast was also disappointing (mainly because of our experiences with the other hotels). The breakfast consists of coffee, tea, bread, triangle cheese spreads, butter and jam. Nothing fresh or exciting. We searched the neighborhood for a better hotel for the same money but didn't find anything or we would have moved very quickly! Also, be prepared that in Rome, there is no such thing as free internet. To sum this up, don't expect much and you won't be disappointed. I would recommend this hotel only because of it's location.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Ceendy28
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Hebrew first
York, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2010

We found this hotel on the lastminute .com website. The list of room facilities included tea and coffe making facilitieswhich was something we wanted, however this turned out not to be true and we were told if we came down to reception they would get us a tea or coffe. not quite the same thing. When we complained to the manager he said if we were not happy we could leave! the room was small but adequate but the room for the breakfast buffet was tiny and had room for onle 12 people at a time. Yes there was a lift but it only went to the 2nd floor and we were on the 3rd floor, the lounge consisted of a room between each floor with a few chairs and all the rooms leading off it.Yes it was handy for the Trevi fountain but if you were going to use the hop on off bus the nearest stops were quite a walk away.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank moorsiders21
Canberra
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2010

The hotel is in a great location. But found the staff tied and unfriendly. I am sure they get sick of a stream of tourists but no excuse. The rooms are small, the bathroom adequate, but beds not comfortable and insufficient blankets for time of year. The hotel is so so noisy, my room was over looking a side street, and I found it noisy - Rome never sleeps. My friends room was on a light well, and was all so noisy from the stair well, and the laundry deliveries at 4am and cleaners starting shortly after.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank FarmerM
Cheshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2010

I had to move to this hotel for 2 nights, as I had extended my trip and my previous hotel was fully booked. I would highly recommend, lovely clean place, good breakfast and excellent location just off Via del Corso, 10 minute walk to Pantheon, Trevi and Spanish Steps. I also liked that as I checked in early, my room was not ready, so I went out, when I returned they had taken my luggage up to my room, a very nice gesture.

My single room was small, but no problem, near the back so very quiet. The bathroom had all modern amenities, breakfast was great with lovely pastries and good capucinno,

Staff were also very kind, the morning i left the guy on reception waited with me for the taxi, to make sure the right taxi picked me up, so that I would not be "intercepted" by a different firm, which I thought was very kind.

Would definitely stay here again on my many visits to Rome, perfect

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo