“EXCELLENT LOCATION”
Review of Amalia Hotel

Amalia Hotel
Ranked #440 of 1,270 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 10 October 2011

My husband and myself stayed in April for five days, we oranised a taxi with the hotel to collect us at the aerport and also for the return journey, it cost 42 euro each pay and well worth it.The hotel is in a great location just behind Vatican city we walked to all the various attractions.The hotel is very clean but basic, but then again you only sleep there, I would recommend this hotel and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Valerie5510
StaffRome, Direttore at Amalia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear Valerie,
thank you for Hotel Amalia reccomendations throughout your appreciation of the staff professionally and courtesy along with rooms clean and large.
I am in charge of managing the hotel from a few weeks and I feel sorry that nobody answered your review in the past.
I really hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed 26 September 2011

Made a reservation for Double Classic for 2 nights. We arrived early and was pleased to be checked in early. The room was spacious, and clean. The window view from my room wasn't that great though.

Distance to Vatican is superb, 10 minutes away, and 5 minutes from Metro.

One thing I don't quite like is the staff service. You don't expect super service. To be fair, they do respond to your queries and help honestly when you approach them. It is just that they don't offer you help, make recommendation, or greet you when you leave or return.

I would also expect a 3 stars hotel to offer bottled drink in the bar fridge without charge. This is what I experienced in other Italy hotels. I was just told to refer to the charges in the hotel room when I enquired about if the bottled water is chargable.

The overall experience wasn't too bad I would say. It will a lot better if the staff can be more responsive and more friendly.

Room Tip: If you are travelling to Civitavecchia, like I did, may want to reconsider not taking the train from...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
StaffRome, Manager at Amalia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2014

Dear Client,
thank you for your review of Hotel Amalia Vaticano.
Thank you for putting in evidence the early check-in, the spacious rooms and the pleasant stay with us.
Looking forward to having you again with us I wish you the best for the future.

Reviewed 21 September 2011

very close to metro. walk to the vactican in 5 mins. even it's next to the train track, the windows were sealed great. If you are a healthy person, don't bother going for the breakfast. All they have were cakes and sweet pastries.

Reviewed 21 September 2011

We stayed here recently on our anniversary trip to Italy. This hotel is a fantastic location. Just a few minutes walk from the Vatican. Close to good restaurants and lots of shopping. We even walked to the Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps from here.
The hotel is modest but seemed clean. The staff is friendly but not overly helpful. They'll answer questions but didn't seem to want to go out of their way.
Our room was small and very bare bones. The bed was not very comfortable but we were so exhausted it really didn't matter.
Breakfast was fine. Nothing special but definitely edible.
Overall we were satisfied with our stay. We knew we were staying at a budget hotel and were realistic with what we were going to get. I'm not sure I'd stay here again but I don't have regrets about staying here this time.

Reviewed 15 September 2011

We were booked at the Amalia Hotel by the USO office in Rome, so I had not done my usual research on accommodations. But we were quite happy with the hotel and I would stay there again without hesitation. We arrived very early on our first day (about 0900) and expected that we'd have to leave our bags and find something to do for 6 hours. However, the hotel had a room available and allowed us to get settled early. And they upgraded us without a charge, too, which was a very welcome surprise. We had a great room with a view of the dome of St Peter's Basilica, lots of space, and a gorgeous bathroom. We explored the area and found that there were many restaurants and gelato places nearby and St Peter's was a short walk away. (Side note: make sure you go to Old Bridge gelato every day. It's only about 2 blocks from the hotel and amazing!!!) Breakfast at the hotel is typical Italian fare - nothing like a German breakfast, but certainly enough to get a good start on the day. The hotel is only a block or so from a Metro station and within walking distance to many sights if you are in good shape and have a comfortable pair of shoes. (Side note: always buy water in a store in the morning and carry it along as it gets very hot and drinks near attractions can be ridiculously overpriced.) The hotel staff was always helpful and friendly and made phone calls for me to restaurants (to see if they were open) and to our airport shuttle driver when I booked the wrong day. We loved the hotel!

Room Tip: Ask to be up high so you can get a view of the dome of St Peter's.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
StaffRome, Manager at Amalia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Dear Client,
thank you for your such a detailed review of the Hotel Amalia!!
We are glad you also recognized the Hotel Amalia was booked through USO.
We have a great partnership with USO and USO travelers are particularly welcome to us.
Thank you for recommending Hotel Amalia Vaticano to other travelers and looking forward to having you again with us.