“Good enough for me”

Ranked #140 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Good enough for me”
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Stayed here in January - decent hotel although maybe a little overpiced - shuttle service to the centre was ok but we did get stranded once, made worse because every taxi driver was on strike - would still return here though

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kelvo_67
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I am pleased to say that our stay at the Duke was wonderful thanks to the staff. Two staff members stand out because of their friendliness and their helpful attitudes.

The front desk folks were, in general, very helpful. However, Alessandro Biavati was particularly helpful. He was very enthusiastic and friendly. He always had a smile on his face and made an enthusiastic effort to be helpful whenever we asked a question on any topic during our stay. ranging from printing maps to restaurants to helping with printing boarding passes for our flight out of Rome. Never once did I feel that he was annoyed by our requests or questions. He was eager to help.

Marco Di Pardo (I think), the staff person in the Polo Lounge for most of the week, was equally helpful and friendly. He also had no issues communicating with us in English. He gave us great advice and helpful hints on life in Rome in general.

Francesco, in the Polo Lounge at the end of the week, was also friendly, sincere and helpful. Again, no hesitation to communicate with us in English.

The breakfast staff was friendly and polite as well.

I do have some criticism of the hotel. The lack of patio furniture on the balconies. It would have been nice to sit out on the balcony with a glass of wine and reflect on what we had visited during the day. And, one of the front desk individuals, (not Massimo who was the reason we selected the hotel in the first place based on Internet reviews. He lived up to those glowing reviews), was not particularly friendly and I did not get his name. I didn’t see him anymore after midweek. Also, the immediate area around the hotel is a bit run down so to speak. Not the fault of the hotel. But, there's a nice little grocery two store fronts down which can provide nice cold cuts and cheeses, inexpensive wines, etc. for snacks and such. They too were friendly and helpful.

If any friends are traveling to Rome in the future, I would enthusiastically recommend The Duke. The rooms and property are very nice. The staff is the best that I’ve ever experienced in my travels. We were a group of Americans who could barely say “boungiorno,” much less communicate in any meaningful way in Italian with the staff in an unfamiliar big city. Yet, we were made to feel welcome by The Duke personnel. Thanks for making our trip to Rome such a positive experience.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jfw3
Castlebellingham
Reviewed 13 March 2012

I have lived and stayed in Rome (and Italy) many times over 40 years. I am use to the laid back attitudes. I wrote seeking confirmation of deals with Duke Hotel reservations and at first all went well, till I checked what was being advertised and actually offered. I sent links to their own website showing the price discrepancies, which were as much as a few hundred euro. I received a very snotty email from the woman in reservations I had dealt with telling me she refused to book the hotel for me and if I wanted go to the website! rude and childish. I decided to contact hotel management but was told over several days, he is not here, another time he is on holiday, he will be here tomorrow. He (the general manager) was never available. After a while the front desk would just cut me off. I travel a lot (30-35 countries a year). I m well use to hotels but never came across such an amateur crew in my life. The owners I pity, profits are walking if this is the attitude of their operations team.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank gallgbaron
Liverpool UK
Reviewed 13 March 2012

This is a really nice hotel, we had breakfast and lunch and it was really good. I think the hotel would benfit from having a proper bar instead of a table with drinks on. Be warned - a real let down for me and several members of my party was the fact that there were no tea and cofffe making facilities in the rooms. I really couldn't believe that and I have stayed in far more sub standard hotels that do have such facilities. It was a real shame that the hotel let itself down so badly in this aspect as it really spoilt my stay. If you are going to stay there then you need to pack a travel kettle. The restaurant and bar staff were very friendly, less so the reception staff, and we had to carry our own cases to the room,

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Quireboy
Reviewed 8 March 2012

It is an older hotel which is superbly run. Massimo and his team were fantastic. I would highly recommend this hotel. Peter and Des Nathaniel.

• Stayed February 2012