“Very good!”

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: San Lorenzo
Reviewed 1 July 2016

Dinner for two, we ate a lot and drank special cocktails. Coconut shimps are delicious. Thanks, I'll surely come back.

Reviewed 5 May 2016

Just keep coming back to this place. The drinks are perfect and the staff is incredibly friendly. I cant get enough of their plantains. Also they have a very good aperitivo deal, get there early and you can have a place with rice and veggies and dumplings, so so so good.

Reviewed 9 November 2015

As others have said, the food isn't really exactly like Jamaica. The jerk chicken is cubes on skewers, and the jerk sauce comes in a dish, and seems to be mostly black pepper-based. They could do with some proper Baron sauce, or even Reggae Reggae sauce :) And how about some coleslaw!? But the food is nice anyway, and the rum cocktails are quite fine. Overall it's a nice bar/restaurant, very pleasant place to relax and listen to some reggae music.

Danilo M, Proprietario at Jamrock, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2016

Thank you very much for your nice review, we are glad that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again
One Love!

Reviewed 23 August 2015 via mobile

When in Rome, it's nice to try new things. This lovely place does wonderful food at a fairly reasonable price. Overall worth a look.

Danilo M, Proprietario at Jamrock, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2016

Thank you for your nice review, we are glad that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again
One Love!

Reviewed 30 July 2015

As a Jamaican who looooves her country's food, I was thrilled to find a place serving Jamaican favorites in Rome. Sadly, though, the meal was incredibly disappointing. It's not that the food was terrible--it was fine, but it should absolutely NOT be calling itself Jamaican food. It sort of looked like it, but completely missed the mark on taste and flavor. It just tasted NOTHING like actual Jamaican food. I wish this wasn't the case because it's a nice atmosphere and the owner seemed like a great person--and I LOVE that someone loves our food and culture enough to open a place dedicated to it, but I know Jamaican food and this wasn't it :(

I started with the curried chicken patty, which was actually very tasty, but did not taste like Jamaican patties. I had the jerk medley (shrimp, chicken, pork) for a main and I wouldn't say the food was tasty--it was decent. The shrimp actually was inedible, though--it was mushy, the way shrimp gets when it's either too old or has been thawed and refrozen multiple times (food poisoning waiting to happen). The chicken and pork were also decent and nothing spectacular, but again, the main point is that they did not taste anything like Jamaican jerk or any other type of Jamaican food. Jerk seasoning should have a number of strong ingredients (allspice, cinnamon, thyme, brown sugar, nutmeg to name a few), but the accompanying sauce tasted like I-don't-know-what with WAY too much black pepper, compensating for the lack of the proper pepper?

The rice and peas was lacking in depth and flavor and the rice was a bit over cooked. We had friend plantains and festival on the side; the plantains should have been more ripe, but perhaps that's a personal preference. The festival was decent, but I'm really biased because my mom makes the best festival ever.

One friend got fried chicken and... it was not proper fried chicken that most people have come to expect (on-the-bone chicken in a crispy batter). We are all convinced it was Shake 'N Bake seasoning from a box.

Another got curried chicken, which was decent, but again, NOT Jamaican curried chicken.

I'm not sure where the recipes or inspiration are coming from, but they are not from any Jamaican cook or cookbook. I'm actually really puzzled, because a Google search would produce great recipe results for authentic Jamaican dishes that would turn these dishes into what they are meant to and longing to be.

1  Thank Crandleberries

We are very sorry that you did not enjoy our dishes, our cuisine is conform with the authentic recipes of the Island and we do our best to find the best traditional ingredients. About the shrimps, I have the sense that you do not understand a lot of food because our shrimps are the best product that can be found on the market: they are caught and frozen directly on the ship to keep intact all their freshness and nutritional properties, we prepare them at the moment and when you say that they were frozen several times it is just your fantasy and a serious calumny. Since the dishes were not to your liking you could report it to us and we would have done everything possible to remedy. About the fried chicken it is neither smart nor safe to serve it with the bones as if we were in a rough street stand. Finally you say that the mother's cooking is always better but this is a simple and childish obviousness and the fact that you suggest us to replace our recipes, learned from the Jamaican chefs, with those of the Internet, confirms me in the opinion that you are not a great connoisseur of cooking in general.

Been to Jamrock? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK