New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Great Hotel!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

Hotel Mascagni was excellent [room, staff, location, and breakfast....wi-fi was
a PITA they would only give it in 2 hour increments not that we were there
for the wi-fi but we needed to check bills, and banking, map places out etc].

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

Location: Excellent, it is literally a 10 minute walk (with luggage) from the train station. The metro is 2 minutes away (we used that to get to the Vatican and walked from there via various sights back to the hotel). The rest of the sights including the Colossum were all in walking distance.
Room: Excellent, we booked a twin and they upgraded us for free to a twin suite. The shower was awsome, just what you needed to get you started for a long day of walking. The room was clean and everything we needed was there. We couldn't get on the internet but didn't worry too much as we were far too busy sightseeing. The bed was a little hard but nothing like the one we slept in at the last hotel we stayed at, no springs in the back this time. There was extra pillows and blankets if you needed them.
Breakfast: Excellent, plenty of choice, lots of it and really good quality. The waiters were very polite and helpful. All the staff were very helpful (especially the gentleman on reception in the mornings) and their English was very good. Nothing was too much trouble.
I have been to Rome before with my husband and wish we had stayed at this hotel. This time I took my daughter for her 21st birthday. We had a wonderful time. There are still things I haven't seen in Rome and I will be booking this hotel again. Excellent, first class.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor, room 601 (twin suite), it was very quiet, no noise or disturbance from ins...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Mand90
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

Booked this hotel through my travel agent who gave me three choices and after considering reviews on TA as well as other factors we went with the Mascagni. First trip to Rome so had no idea on the area or anything else and we were pleasently surprised on many fronts.
First, the hotel itself was very nice. extremely well kept, clean, and everything worked. The staff was excellent. Very friendly and attentive. The front desk gave us several dinner recomendations and while I know it is common for this to be an arraingment between the two businesses rather than an actual great place, that is up to you to visit the recommended restaurent, check it out, have a look at the menu etc. We found two great places through the hotel, and several on our own. The Hotel has a bar just off the front desk that opens at 5. Nice little place with a great bartender. Expensive, as are drinks anywhere in Rome. (except wine) Vodka cocktail was 12 euro, (about 15 bucks) Although I had a few there, I also went round the corner and bought a whole bottle for about the same price as one drink. The room we had was on the second floor and was a "standard room", they do have an upgrade which was a little bigger. Our room was fine and actually was one of only three or four that have a small balconey, which we found great. Bed was a little hard, TV was pretty limited for english, and the shower was extremly small. Basically a tub/shower, but short and very narrow. You are definetly showering solo here :) --- Must say however, very clean, good water presure and hot!!
Found the location to be very good. About a 15 minute walk from Termini station, the main train station, a Metro stop a block away, buses, taxi very plentiful. Also found the area very busy and safe both during the day and during the evening. We were out as late as 10 or so after dinner and found no issue at all with the people out and about. The actual Termini Station area, as I said about 15 minute walk away was a little sketchier.....the area around the hotel was fine, in fact 2 very high end hotels, St Regis Grand, and The Bernini are within a block. Many restaurents within a 10 minute walk in any direction and we walked to many major attractions. Trevi Fountain was about 15 minutes, and we walked to the Colosseum which was about 35-40 minutes but worth it because we saw so much along the way. You can take the Metro back. There is a Metro Station accross from the Colosseum, and one a block from the hotel.
Would highly recommend this hotel based on comfort, value, staff, and location.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank pauljames403
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Me and my boyfriend were booked in for 4 nights here at the Hotel Mascagni. The hotel was booked through Travel Republic and was sorted however there seemed a slight miscommunication somewhere.
We went to check into the hotel of our 1st day and were told unfortunately there had been a mix up in our booking between Travel Republic, the agents and the hotel and they were expecting us the following day.

Right, not a great start. In all fairness I don’t think this was any fault of the hotel and I have contacted Travel Republic requesting an explanation for the situation.

The gentleman at reception was very apologetic and explained how this was going to be resolved. The hotel had arranged for a one night stay at the Hotel Victoria. The hotel arranged for a taxi to take us their immediately, a contact name and number for who we needed to speak to at Hotel Victoria and explained that the next day we should leave our bags with Hotel Victoria and by the afternoon when we were to return to the Mascagni, our room would be ready with our bags already there.

And true to their word the next day everything was sorted and they went out of their way to thank us for being understanding and gave us a complimentary bowl of fruit, a large bottle of wine and a lovely room at the back of the hotel which was pleasantly quiet.

So I would not let this blip effect my overall perception of the hotel.

The members of staff were friendly and polite. The room spacious, clean and smartly decorated, the bed very comfy and wooden shutters and heavy curtains meant no cracks of light in the early hours of the morning (so make sure an alarm is set if you need to get up early!) The bathroom was clean and spacious, good shower and the towels changed every day.

The breakfast selection was tasty and nicely presented; don’t expect to have a big fry up -there was scrambled egg and some small sausages but plenty of fruit, breads, pastries, fresh juices, cereal, jams etc.

The Mascagni is a perfect location, right near the metro termini station – I would advise anybody to get the airport shuttle bus, this drops you right at the metro termini station and if you stay here at the Mascagni you can walk to the hotel no problem meaning you save loads by avoiding getting a taxi to and from the airport.

The hotel is the perfect spot for walking to the Trevi fountain, a main road of shops, restaurants, the Pantheon, and other attractions.
A short trip on the very easy metro for a euro at a time or 4 euro for a day ticket gets you to the Colosseum & the Vatican City in no time. There are only 2 lines on the Rome Underground so much easier than our London Underground so definitely use it you need too!

Overall, me and my boyfriend had a wonderful time in Rome, it’s a beautiful place, the Hotel Mascagni was lovely and I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Swee_Swee_23
Halifax, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

This was my second trip to Rome after a 30 years gap and I chose this hotel on it's location and the Tripadvisor recommendations. So glad I did. From the moment we stepped through the door it felt right. The staff really make it as they all go the extra mile to make your stay as happy as possible. Frank, the Barman, deserves a special mention - my husband spent a couple of evenings watching European football with him. He clearly likes his job as he told us he's worked there 7 years. Room was tastefully decorated - we had a triple room with 3 single beds - my 13 year old daughter was with us. I liked the separate area (with a door you could shut) which had rails for clothes, drawers and a safe. Made it easier to keep room clutter free - as much as you can be with a teenager. I agree with previous posts that the beds were too much on the firm side for our liking. Breakfast relaxed in a restful room which is perfect in the morning, unlike hustle and bustle of bigger hotels where you can end up feeling frazzled. We walked everywhere and had glorious weather on 1 April for 4 nights.
Would definitely return, would ask for a room at the back next time as my daughter found traffic too noisy with the window open at night and I really like an open window. I didn't throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain this time but I will return to Rome and I will return to the Hotel Mascagni.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back would be less noisy.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family