“Giolli Hotel is a Gem” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, California
“Giolli Hotel is a Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

This is my 4th stay at Giolli Hotel and it is like a return to visit my Italian family. The staff, especially Carlo are welcoming and happy to make my visit all it can be. Located on Via Nazionale it is a walkable distance from the train station, and 7 minutes at most, by taxi. Rooms are clean, generous and some have larger bathrooms due to their location. Above the 4th floor are private apartments, so I request a 2nd floor to minimize possible noise from 'family time.'
Rooms are equipped with a desk, a free safe and there is stocked refrigerators charging reasonable prices for water, wine and snacks. Giolli is rated 3-star and its rates are very reasonable, especially for the city of Rome. Breakfasts include juices, hard-cooked eggs, fresh croissants, rolls, tarts, cheese and Italian cold cuts. There is a barista too, who will serve up your morning cappuccino or espresso.
The location of the Giolli couldn't be better to visit all of the historical sites Rome offers. From the front of the building you can see the Vittorio Emmanuel 'wedding cake' building and it is a short walk to it and all of Rome's historic sites. To visit the Trevi Fountain, so you can toss in your coins & return, you just cross the street (Via Milano) and walk through the tunnel, take a left and you're there.
Across from the hotel is the Exposition building which offers changing exhibitions, including free photographic exhibits, a cafe and great book and gift store. A taxi stand is directly across from the hotel and in the blocks nearby are several good trattorias and restaurants. Several buses run down Via Nazionale and with the bus signs that list all of the stops, you can't get lost unless you want to!
Flying back to the West Coast USA means a hideously early airport departure. But to let you know how thoughtful the staff is, a breakfast is set up for me to eat before my car arrives to take me home. Reading some of the reviews that mention some problems, I'd would like you to give the Giolli Hotel another visit and you'll find, as I did, that the staff are really warm and professional.
I am already looking forward to my next visit when again I'll stay at the Giolli Hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room 3rd floor or below. Some end rooms also have larger bathrooms.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank sflindad
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Exmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

My husband and I have just returned from a five night stay at the Giolli. We were celebrating our 29th Wedding Anniversary in Rome. We had booked our trip through Airmiles, but after booking we attempted to upgrade our room through the Giolli from a standard room. Unfortunatley this was not possible but we were very kindly presented with a bottle of sparkling wine on our arrival by way of apology.
We were initially disappointed with our standard room as it was very small and the view, as described in previous reviews, was onto an outside space and other windows. But the room was spotlessly clean and in reality how much time do you want to spend in your hotel room when you have Rome on the doorstep! And quite literally there was so much on the Giolli's doorstep. Fantastic central location which made it very easy to get around and see all of the sights - make sure that you have comfy shoes! So many lovely restaurants very close to the hotel. Highly recommend the pizzeria Ricci - Est Est Est - just round the corner!
The Giolli's breakfast was fairly basic but certainly adequate enough to kick start your day.
The staff were all very efficient but not overly friendly.....we certainly weren't greeted with friendly smiley faces at any point but we were happy to settle for answers to any queries that we had and we certainly got this.
The proof of a hotel doing all that is required of it is if you would return and the answer to that is yes. It's all about being realistic, it is a 3 star hotel in the centre of a beautiful city and it delivers all that is required of it for it's purpose.

Room Tip: Possibly request front facing room!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jo_John_11
HotelGiolliRoma, Direttore at Hotel Giolli Nazionale, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Dear Jhon,

Thank you for sharing your review for Hotel Giolli

We are very happy to hear that such a nice couple has appreciated our Hotel.

Unfortunately not all rooms face on Via Nazionale (the main street) but if specifically mentioned at the time of reservation, we provide our clients with what they need: being champaigne, fruit, cakes for particular events and as in your case a room with street view. The Hotel is located in a 800 century building and the rooms are all of standard sizes approved by the Touristic Board of authorities. We are however, delighted that you have valued Giolli Hotel for its varied breakfast choices and the cleanness of the rooms.

Next time please come and visit us and we will make sure to provide you with a spacious street view room.

Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

500 words would not be enough to describe how disastrous our stay was in this hotel. We had been enjoying such a lovely holiday and other accommodation in Italy and our 5 days at this hotel left a bitter taste. The staff were inefficient, unfriendly and in some cases positively rude. We sat in the guest lounge on some days to watch the television or read a book and one staff member came along and changed the channel we were watching without even asking us! and we were watching a travel show on Rome which had information that we needed to plan our itinerary. This staff member treated this room as though it was his home away from home and I saw other guests given the not-so-subtle "heave-ho" out of the guest lounge. This is absolutely ludricous behaviour! It reminded us very much of the famous British Show "Fawlty Towers" but this was NOT FUNNY! The bathroom plumbing did not work and the way the building is constructed meant that the rooms all had windows opening onto the same outside space which made it very noisy. Even though the location was quite good do yourself a favour and find somewhere else!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank koompartu
HotelGiolliRoma, Proprietario at Hotel Giolli Nazionale, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Dear Mr/Ms Koompartu,
First of all i find the title of your review extremly rude and exaggerated in comparison with your complaints. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay in our hotel and am also surprised to know that one of our staff members has been rude to you. However I am 100% sure he did intentionally changed the channel knowing you were watching it, we asked the receptionist and he told us he thought you were reading a book and not watching the television; for this we are really sorry. Most probably this factor annoyed you and made your opinion negative overall on our hotel. This is because you gave us 4/5 for the location and 3/5 for the cleanliness of the hotel without backing-up your judgment (however our hotel is in the full city center 10 min. walk from the colosseum, just in front of Rome’s exhibition hall etc. and we have a housekeeper which ensures maximum cleanliness and makes it our main priority). So I please you, for future cases, to be objective and honest when writing reviews because such comments strongly affect our hotel negatively. In addition most of our reviews suggest to come back in our hotel and your advice “to find somewhere else” is not considered valuable for most of the people. However we hope you might change your mind and try our hotel again, we will surely ensure a fantastic stay as we always do with our clients.
Best regards
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

My husband, my two sons and I stayed at Giolli hotel during January 2012. The Giolli is situated in the historical centre of rome, few minutes walk from rome's major historical sites such as the colosseum, trevi fountain etc. The staff has been kind and welcoming, especially Mrs. Silvana which was always there to help us out giving us advice on where to go and what to do.
The breakfast itself is normal but what makes it very pleasurable is where it'served: in a big hall right in front of the 'palazo dele esposizioni' (exhibition hall). The rooms are fairly spacious, my husband and I had double room facing via Nazionale while my two sons slept in a smaller twin room facing internally (not as nice but certainly more quite).
The giolli was a very good choice and we certainly are going to go back in the summer.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Geraldine F
HotelGiolliRoma, Direttore at Hotel Giolli Nazionale, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Dear Mrs. Geraldine,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Hotel Giolli.

We are very pleased to hear such good comments, Mrs. Silvana thanks you and is happy to have helped you with your sightseeing tours.

We would love to have you back again soon, meanwhile we wish You

San Diego, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

My wife and I were on our honeymoon and we check to this hotel Giolli in Roma Italy. Right as we check into the room it was just horrific the toilet seat is under the sink, the heat did not work as it was 12 degrees outside. As I walked into the shower the hot water was just freezing and could not get the hot water to work. After that whole mess I then decided to call the front desk and ask to change rooms, and they actually did. As we checked into the other room it turns out to be even worse their was no room for my wife and I to even get through as we walked around the room and the walls were dirty and scratched up. The front desk clerks knew nothing about the area except for one gentlemen that I forget his name. At one point we almost missed a tour because the front desk clerk didn't even know what was going on, luckily the cab driver knew where to take us and made it on time for our tour. on top of all this mess this so called hotel demands a tax pay after check out it was (2 euros per person per night) I wouldn't mind paying this only if it was a better experiences at this facility. The only thing that actually saved this place was their breakfast at least it compensated for the terrible experience. I don't like to write bad reviews about anything or place, but we were on our honeymoon and this hotel almost ruined our trip. I don't recommend this place at all had I known I would of paid a little more and stayed at a much better hotel again this was our honeymoon trip almost ruined.

Room Tip: Pay a little more and get a better hotel.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Sanan H
HotelGiolliRoma, Direttore at Hotel Giolli Nazionale, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Dear Mr. Sanan,

Thank you to have aknowledged us with the room number you were assigned with. This gave us the opportunity to personally go and verify what you have stated in your review.

First of all the rooms are monitored by an Houskeeper who comes in everyday to check the condition of the rooms before assigning them to the clients. I must say that cleanness is one of our first priorities and one of our successes. Secondly, the room size are all standard and approved by the Touristic department of Rome. I am really sorry that you were in Honeymoon at that time because (if mentioned in your reservation or at check in ) we would have offered you a Luxury room (a more spacious room) with no supplement costs, where you would have found a champagne bottle as a complimentary gift (as we always do for wedding trips).

The tax that you have payed at check out is a tax imposed by the mayor of Rome and it is devoted exclusevely to the City of Rome. It is something that you find in every Hotel in the City.

I hope that in your next trip to Rome you and your wife will come and visit us again where you will find a superb Hospitality. Even if late I wish you all the best for your marriage.

The manager