“The worst of the worst!”

Hotel Giolli Nazionale
Ranked #370 of 1,261 Hotels in Rome
GreenLeadersSilver level
Brisbane, Australia
“The worst of the worst!”
Reviewed 3 March 2012

500 words would not be enough to describe how disastrous our stay was in this hotel. We had been enjoying such a lovely holiday and other accommodation in Italy and our 5 days at this hotel left a bitter taste. The staff were inefficient, unfriendly and in some cases positively rude. We sat in the guest lounge on some days to watch the television or read a book and one staff member came along and changed the channel we were watching without even asking us! and we were watching a travel show on Rome which had information that we needed to plan our itinerary. This staff member treated this room as though it was his home away from home and I saw other guests given the not-so-subtle "heave-ho" out of the guest lounge. This is absolutely ludricous behaviour! It reminded us very much of the famous British Show "Fawlty Towers" but this was NOT FUNNY! The bathroom plumbing did not work and the way the building is constructed meant that the rooms all had windows opening onto the same outside space which made it very noisy. Even though the location was quite good do yourself a favour and find somewhere else!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank koompartu
HotelGiolliRoma, Proprietario at Hotel Giolli Nazionale, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Dear Mr/Ms Koompartu,
First of all i find the title of your review extremly rude and exaggerated in comparison with your complaints. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay in our hotel and am also surprised to know that one of our staff members has been rude to you. However I am 100% sure he did intentionally changed the channel knowing you were watching it, we asked the receptionist and he told us he thought you were reading a book and not watching the television; for this we are really sorry. Most probably this factor annoyed you and made your opinion negative overall on our hotel. This is because you gave us 4/5 for the location and 3/5 for the cleanliness of the hotel without backing-up your judgment (however our hotel is in the full city center 10 min. walk from the colosseum, just in front of Rome’s exhibition hall etc. and we have a housekeeper which ensures maximum cleanliness and makes it our main priority). So I please you, for future cases, to be objective and honest when writing reviews because such comments strongly affect our hotel negatively. In addition most of our reviews suggest to come back in our hotel and your advice “to find somewhere else” is not considered valuable for most of the people. However we hope you might change your mind and try our hotel again, we will surely ensure a fantastic stay as we always do with our clients.
Best regards
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2012

My husband, my two sons and I stayed at Giolli hotel during January 2012. The Giolli is situated in the historical centre of rome, few minutes walk from rome's major historical sites such as the colosseum, trevi fountain etc. The staff has been kind and welcoming, especially Mrs. Silvana which was always there to help us out giving us advice on where to go and what to do.
The breakfast itself is normal but what makes it very pleasurable is where it'served: in a big hall right in front of the 'palazo dele esposizioni' (exhibition hall). The rooms are fairly spacious, my husband and I had double room facing via Nazionale while my two sons slept in a smaller twin room facing internally (not as nice but certainly more quite).
The giolli was a very good choice and we certainly are going to go back in the summer.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Geraldine F
HotelGiolliRoma, Direttore at Hotel Giolli Nazionale, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Dear Mrs. Geraldine,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Hotel Giolli.

We are very pleased to hear such good comments, Mrs. Silvana thanks you and is happy to have helped you with your sightseeing tours.

We would love to have you back again soon, meanwhile we wish You

San Diego, California
Reviewed 22 February 2012

My wife and I were on our honeymoon and we check to this hotel Giolli in Roma Italy. Right as we check into the room it was just horrific the toilet seat is under the sink, the heat did not work as it was 12 degrees outside. As I walked into the shower the hot water was just freezing and could not get the hot water to work. After that whole mess I then decided to call the front desk and ask to change rooms, and they actually did. As we checked into the other room it turns out to be even worse their was no room for my wife and I to even get through as we walked around the room and the walls were dirty and scratched up. The front desk clerks knew nothing about the area except for one gentlemen that I forget his name. At one point we almost missed a tour because the front desk clerk didn't even know what was going on, luckily the cab driver knew where to take us and made it on time for our tour. on top of all this mess this so called hotel demands a tax pay after check out it was (2 euros per person per night) I wouldn't mind paying this only if it was a better experiences at this facility. The only thing that actually saved this place was their breakfast at least it compensated for the terrible experience. I don't like to write bad reviews about anything or place, but we were on our honeymoon and this hotel almost ruined our trip. I don't recommend this place at all had I known I would of paid a little more and stayed at a much better hotel again this was our honeymoon trip almost ruined.

Room Tip: Pay a little more and get a better hotel.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Sanan H
HotelGiolliRoma, Direttore at Hotel Giolli Nazionale, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Dear Mr. Sanan,

Thank you to have aknowledged us with the room number you were assigned with. This gave us the opportunity to personally go and verify what you have stated in your review.

First of all the rooms are monitored by an Houskeeper who comes in everyday to check the condition of the rooms before assigning them to the clients. I must say that cleanness is one of our first priorities and one of our successes. Secondly, the room size are all standard and approved by the Touristic department of Rome. I am really sorry that you were in Honeymoon at that time because (if mentioned in your reservation or at check in ) we would have offered you a Luxury room (a more spacious room) with no supplement costs, where you would have found a champagne bottle as a complimentary gift (as we always do for wedding trips).

The tax that you have payed at check out is a tax imposed by the mayor of Rome and it is devoted exclusevely to the City of Rome. It is something that you find in every Hotel in the City.

I hope that in your next trip to Rome you and your wife will come and visit us again where you will find a superb Hospitality. Even if late I wish you all the best for your marriage.

The manager
Reviewed 11 February 2012

We stayed a week at Giolli and found the service & position of this hotel in Rome "excellent".
The Continental Breakfast was more than your average breakfast.
Rooms serviced and soooo clean.
As the hotel was very central we walked everywhere..even to The Vatican City (and we are over 60)
Our flight arrived very early so when we arrived the concierge had a room for us straight away.
We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SurferGirl08
HotelGiolliRoma, Proprietario at Hotel Giolli Nazionale, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
Dear 'SurfergIRL08',

We have really apreaciated your review.
It makes us very proud and content to hear such nice words about our Hotel. We also feel very satisfied with clients like you recognizing our strengths, being location and the cleanliness of our rooms. We really do hope to receive You soon again! - And please do remind us of it being your second visit since we keep special treats for habitual clients.

Regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2011

I have stayed in Giolli Hotel for 5 days and it was amazing! Close to the center, affordable prices, great breakfast, clean and nice rooms, and very nice staff! I highly recommend tourists to stay in it. Me and my friends are very satisfied about Goilli Hotel. I'll definitely stay here when I bring my girlfriend next summer!! :)

Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Hussam F
HotelGiolliRoma, Direttore at Hotel Giolli Nazionale, responded to this review, 22 January 2012
Dear Hussam,

Thank you so m uch for your review We really appreciate that you have spent a good time in our Hotel and in our city! Hoping to have you again soon with your girlfriend!