Hotel Sistina
US$ 257
US$ 364
US$ 334
  • Breakfast included
All reviewspiazza barberinitrevi fountaingreat locationair conditioningclose to the spanish stepswithin walking distancepleasant hotelcentral locationstay there againvery pleasant stayhotel roomsights
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 September 2011

I got here really by chance. The hotel Villa Pinciana which I'd booked initially turned out to have some repairs just on the day I came so they sent me to the Sistina - taking into account that I'd written to the hotel in advance, informing I was going to come, it didn't characterise the Leonardi chain in a good way. Anyway, it's not about the Sistina Hotel.
The first room I had was really unpleasant: it was gloomy and the a/c unit was placed in the position so that it blew into my ear - no difference where I tried to lie on their (really good, though) double bed. In the morning I asked for another room and got it. So my mark is distributed between these two rooms: the first has got "zero", the second (for 4 more nights) the rest of the four points.
What is really great about the Sistina is its LOCATION: just in Via Sistina connecting Piazza Barberini (with the underground station) and Trinita dei Monti. So in 5 minutes you can reach perhaps the most romantic point in Rome - the top of the Spanish Steps. Splendid!
The ROOM (my second one) was good enough, with a nice bed, efficient a/c (in the right place this time!), a safe, a mini-bar and a spacious bathroom. Two things were not so pleasant but I'm sure the hotel can take care of that: the smell coming from the bathroom was terrible: smoke! I don't smoke and hate this smell, so my deodorant turned out to be helpful at that point. Another thing - there are some little details in the room - some carving on the door, pictures - all these objects could be cleaner if you ask me. But in general I was happy in this room.
BREAKFAST was good with quite a wide choice.
The STAFF were friendly - and I'm really thankful to the signore who changed the room for me. After all, I paid for a single, but ended up in a double.
In general, I think this hotel has a good potential: the main aim is to pay more attention to cleaning and destroying this horrible smell of smoke. And - sorry - it's my personal opinion, but I'd remove pictures of Madonna which hang above beds. Italy has got so many great artists with their Madonnas - much better to look at reproductions of masterpieces than at these doll-like faces...
Anyway, four out of my 5 nights here were really good and the price I paid was quite reasonable for the centre of Rome.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the classical ceiling and pay attention to the position of the air conditioning unit.
Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Mirene-Mirene
Reviewed 9 July 2011

Hotel was very centrally located -- 2-3 minute walk to Spanish Steps, one block away from Barberini metro station. Staff was so nice. A/C didn't work well the first night but it was repaired immediately when we complained and worked great the rest of stay. Breakfast was included and was very good, especially for a small hotel. We had triple room that was very spacious with a king bed and a twin bed in a separate room/alcove. Free wireless internet throughout the hotel. Overall great experience. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank maggie909
Reviewed 30 June 2011

This hotel was well located two blocks from the top of the Spanish steps. It was a quick walk to anywhere in the city. We felt very safe in this area and often walked around, sat and watched in the piazza's in this area. The hotel was very clean. The size of the hotel room was very nice but what caught us by surprise was the size of the bathroom! It was not your typical small European bathroom and was rather large. The breakfast was a continental breakfast which was served for a 3 hours. The food was good and so was the coffee. The service and the front desk spoke wonderful English and were extremely helpful and kind. All in all i would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank sonicreducer8
Reviewed 13 June 2011

The Sistina is perfectly located for a holiday in Rome - it's central, and all the must-see sites are easily walkable for an able bodied person.

The hotel itself is OK if you only going to use it as a base. It's quite small, and although it's faux marble decor has charm, it needs a bit of a facelift. Our room was pretty standard, with air-conditioning, a safe for personal belongings, and a spacious bathroom. Several of the reviews here say the hotel is smelly-we had no experience of any smells so cannot agree with this. The soundproofing was pretty good, considering that Rome is just about the noisiest city on earth. Parking? This is Rome-are you crazy? No chance!

Breakfast is standard continental fare, and exactly what we expected - tea, coffee, cooked meats and cheeses, cereal, croissants, juices and fruit. You can return to the buffet as many times as you want. If you're expecting a cooked breakfast go to Blackpool instead. There is a tiny roof garden where you can have breakfast served, but this information is not volunteered, you have to ask (and pay for the privilege, probably). There is no tea or coffee facility in the rooms either- this is a disappointment, and much needed after a hot day slogging around Rome. You can get room service to bring you hot drinks in the room, but this will be added to your bill. There is no restaurant for an evening meal but there are several within yards of the hotel, so it's not a problem.

The staff were generally very courteous, especially if you made the effort to speak a few basic words of Italian. Their English isn't great - but why should it be? They're italians in their own country.

A couple of tips about Rome in general:

1) Rome is not at all pushchair or wheelchair friendly. The footpaths are very narrow and bumpy, with no ramps to assist crossing the roads. Traffic is completely mental and you need to be careful. Most of the roads are cobbled and have cracks and potholes. There are lots of italians standing around chatting in groups on the streets-don't expect them to get out of your way-they won't.
2) Don't waste your money on bottled water. Buy one small bottle then top it up regularly from the waterspouts that are all over the city. The water is fresh, clean and palatable-and free!

I've stayed in many city hotels and the Sistina is as good as most, and better than some.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank digitalphoto
Reviewed 29 May 2011

Hotel Sistina is right in the heart of the city literally yards from the Spanish Steps and the busy shopping area and close to the Trevi Fountain and the Via Veneto. The main bus stops and metro /train station are also only a few minutes walk away. Hotel is in a small street with restaurants and shops and is really clean and comfortable. Decor is a little dated but most Italian hotels are like that. We had a large three bedded room which even had a walk in dressing are, and a nice single room. Good breakfast every day and staff very helpful. We couldn't believe the location of this hotel as most of us had been to Rome previously and found his was a far better place to stay. I would definitely recommend it and will stay there again next time I return to Rome.
Lovely restaurants up near Trevi fountain area. Restaurants on Piazza Barberini handy but expensive and food not great and overcharge for minerals and drinks. Did two tours with Roma Tour's guides to the Vatican musuem and also to The Colisseum and The Roman Forum. Both excellent. At the Colisseum had got roped into a dodgy tour that had no official clearance and drunken guide with Heineken can in his hand who kept telling us he had a ph.d in roman history as we sat in baking heat outside The Colisseum waiting to go in. Got sense and got our money back and joined proper tour with fantastic guides. Be careful. ...Nina from Dublin

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends