New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Holiday Inn Rome - Eur Parco Dei Medici

Holiday Inn Rome - Eur Parco Dei Medici
Ranked #425 of 1,291 Hotels in Rome
London, United Kingdom
“2 day stay prior to cruise”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

A very cheap two day stay. The hotel is about 13 kms away from the centre of Rome. We used Muratella rail way station to commute to Rome by purchasing a BIG ticket for 6 euros which is valid all day and we found it very useful and economical specially if you are going to spend the day touring. The station is within a 7 mins walk from the hotel. We enjoyed our stay, the room was clean and the pool was good. The only negative experience is the food, which we found very expensive, tasteless and limited. We used a local pizzeria 3mins walk from the hotel. A note of advice is to be aware when checking out as I was going to be double charged for my stay, I had to argue with the reception staff who I found very rude and unhelpful to get my message across. I had to contact my travel agent to prove to them that I had already paid for my two-day stay. They will not listen so be prepared challenge them and be vigilant.

Room Tip: we stayed on the sixth floor overlooking the pool
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
ROMDM, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rome - Eur Parco Dei Medici, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
Dear Guest,
we have appreciated your comments relating your last stay in our hotel. I know that some of the services did not find your expectations. I have already informed our Chef regarding the quality of the food. Usually we serve a variety of dishes which can satisfy the different tastes of our guests. I do apologize if this may have spoiled your stay in Rome.
I have really appreciated your valid support which give us the opportunity to analize your point of view. Guest like you enable us to correct any possible inconvenience and to improve the service even better.
Kind regards
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Binfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

I booked this hotel despite many of the warnings here on trip advisor simply as it afforded the best value of any of the ICHG hotels in Rome.

The first thing to comment on is the bus from the airport. I had over an hour from arrival to the departure of the last bus and missed it. This was entirely due to the awful baggage delivery from my flight but even if I only had hand baggage I suspect Ie would never have found the place to get the bus so disorganised is FCO airport and the hotel does not provide accurate information on the pickup point.

I had read horror stories about the taxi however it costs 33 euro from airport to Hotel, not cheap but for 4 not outrageous in European terms either. The journey in heavy traffic took about 15 to 20 minutes. If using this option you must ensure you have the full address at hand as there are 3 Holiday Inn in Rome.

I have a platinum card and had emailed the hotel in advance to request a renovated family room.

On arrival check in was perfunctory with no mention of my status or any offer to upgrade or provide any sort of enhanced service. When handed the key I did ask and was told I would get an English language newspaper. I never did!

This type of mean penny pinching reward for the most frequent of traveller’s devalues the Priority club badly and tells me my loyalty is worthless. I will take this up with Priority club directly in due course.

The room was spacious, clean and comfortable located on the 6th floor and perfect for a family of 4 with 2 kids under 10.

The air conditioning was off when arrived at 9pm and the room like a sauna. The key card controlled the lights and the fan on the aircon was put on full and the temperature to the lowest setting. It made little difference.

Over the next 3 nights and despite the aircon being on 24/7 the room was always uncomfortable hot. Opening windows helped but the noise from outside even 6 floors up made sleeping in this way difficult.

I can honestly say no one slept well on any of the 3 nights.

We headed down stairs to eat and were about to head across to Verde Smeralda when another guest advised us it was closed on Sunday. What a pity.

We ate in the hotel and both the food and service were pretty poor.

What others have said is true. The staff lack any form of customer service and were left waiting for around 25 minutes before being served in a near empty restaurant. The food when it came was of poor quality badly cooked and the bill eye watering for what we had received.

In contrast we ate in the Verde Smeralda on the 2 other nights where the food was excellent reasonably priced and the service friendly and welcoming. I cannot recommend it strongly enough.

To find it you need to exit the hotel via the car park barrier, turn right and walk 100 metres. There is a crossing marked on the street and the Verde Smeralda is located just across the road. If standing in the hotel pool area it is located directly under the first orange round tower on the left hand side with the hotel to your back.

Breakfast was included and was good on 2 of the 3 days we were there. On day 2 however there was fewer options and re stocking items simply did not happen.

WiFi in the hotel is not free anywhere which is disgraceful in 2012. In the USA WiFi is now universally free in Holiday Inn but here not even Platinum Card holders are afforded this. Hilton by contrast provide it free to Gold card holders. It is 9 Euro for 24 hours.

Transport

There is a shop and in the shop you can buy tickets for the trains. We used the shuttle bus to town on the first day but it costs 3.5 Euro per person including kids over 2 years. By contrast the train is 6 Euro for adult and a ticket allows unlimited travel on all public transport in Rome up to midnight. Children are free under 10 years!!

There is the 1 Euro option but we found a pass better value.

TO GET DOWNTOWN, you can purchase your train ticket at the shop
From the parking lot, turn left and walk along the fence past the garbage cans and towards the tracks. There is a small walkway with a metal fence on either side around 30 metres long. When you get to the end turn left for the platform. There is very little signage except the 'Muratella' sign at the station. The trains run about every 20 min. Get off at the Ostiense train station (4th stop) and walk to the Piramide Metro station along a series of indoor walkways. At Piramide, take the Rebibbia train to Termini (the central station downtown) using the same ticket. From there you can take a cab or get on a sightseeing bus or just walk to anywhere you want to go. Alternatively go to Tiburtina and catch a Laurentina train to get to Termini. Both involve a longish walk between main line train and underground.

I found the transport to be great value but in a pretty run down and dirty condition. The trains were often late but by no more than 5 or 10 minutes. The worst thing was the graffiti and how slow the trains were. The underground Line A did not seem to have aircon but Line B did. Prepare for large crowds.

For 6 Euro however it is hard to complain.

The Roma Pass at 30 Euro includes all transport and entry to 2 museums. Very good value and you can buy in terminal 3 on arrival.

We took the bus back to the airport and again it was 3.5 euro per person including young children. It took just 11 minutes at 5.15pm at night to make the journey to the terminals.

The pool was open but cold even in 25 degrees of sunshine. The pool boy was by far the best member of staff we encountered the rest were simply not very happy.

I would however recommend the hotel if you are looking for good value and good communication links. The train station is very close by and superb value.

The hotel must however do something about air conditioning and perhaps replace the male staff in the restaurant with female staff who might be more service orientated and friendly.

The lack of free wi fi is disgraceful even in lobby area and a complete nonsense in todays connected world with online checking and tourists wanting information on routes maps and places to eat. It just looks greedy in a hotel of this type.

Mention has been made of the business nature of the hotel. There are a lot of suits and it is a commercial district but there were far more tour groups. The hotel has a lot of groups.

The hotel will no doubt respond to this comment as it does to others. I would prefer it dealt with the complaints and comments and actually behaved like a family style hotel that the holiday Inn brand is supposed to be all about.. It could be a great hotel and could exploit its location and value; for example a regular run to airport and to later times in the evening. Drop the city shuttle, the train is better and so help your guests find it and perhaps even lay on transport to and from the station for those with bags!

Provision of Free wifi to Gold and Platinum card holders is a must. It should also be free to all guests in the lobby area, even if just for 30 minutes or so per day. Being away from home should not mean being disconnected from the world.

The aircon s poor so if you need it to be cold avoid the hotel in summer. (Jun – Sep)
Otherwise come prepared, bring a sense of adventure and try to eat out. That way you will enjoy it greatly.

Room Tip: Try to get a renocated room, they are good but do not expect luxury
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Binman62
ROMDM, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rome - Eur Parco Dei Medici, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
Dear Guest,
thank you for taking the time to share with us your comments regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Rome Eur Parco dei Medici. I do apologize if some of the services did not meet your expectations and I would like to thank you also for the detailed description relating the transportation to the city centre and the airport.
As for the quality of the food, I have forward your comments to our Chef who will provide to improve the service. Regarding the guest rooms I can confirm you that usually guests approve the comfort of the mattress and the pillows, together with the individual control of the air conditioning. I do apologize if this bothered your experience with us.
I have forwarded your comments even to the General Manager of the hotel. I know that corrective steps will be taken in order to improve the service.
Thank you again for your positive criticism. Hope to have you again as one of our best guests.
Kind regards
Granville, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

I'll start with the good. . .room was clean and spacious. No complaints. That's it. Desk staff rude. Hotel restaurant typical Holiday Inn. . .however, host reprimanded us for not having a reservation for dinner. Really? It's not exactly a 5-star restaurant. . .plenty of empty tables. Still made us stand for 10 minutes before seating (with a definite attitude. . .)

In all the other wonderful hotels we stayed at in Italy, we could get wi-fi for less than 7 euros. Not here! Much more expensive.

I do not recommend staying here.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank freed0m2
ROMDM, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rome - Eur Parco Dei Medici, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Dear Guest,
thank you for you time by informing us about your recent stay at Holiday Inn Rome Eur Parco dei Medici. I do apologize if some of the services did not meet your expectations. I really appreciate you have found the room clean and comfortable and on the other hand I have shared your comments with the General Manager and the Maitre d'Hotel so that they will take the necessary steps to improve the service in the Restaurant. As for the Internet charge, we use a quoted provider in order to guarantee a better service and the guest can choose the tariff which is more convenient for his business purposes starting from 7 Euros.
I really hope it will not be the last time you visit us. Hope to welcome you in a very next future in order to show you how good we really can be.
With kind regards

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

Andover, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

Stayed here as the other Holiday Inn in Auralia were full.
Nice place, as I would expect from a Holiday Inn.
Food pretty much as one would expect too. Not good, but not that bad.
Room was tired looking and in need of a refurb.
Rooms clean however.

All in, the hotel was ideally suited for me. As I rent a car & drive around Rome, its location to the ring road and the airport were good. There are no shops locally, but there is a supermarket about 5KM away, on the back road to the airport. or you can use the Services on the ring road.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank cerbera69
Dear Guest,
thank you for your comments relating your recent stay in our hotel. I was somewhat surprised to learn that our parking is not good as it is very large and the hotel is pleased to offer it free of charge. You are right for the location, infact it is situated between the airport and the city centre and you can reach it very quickly by car and also with our shuttle service with regular departure times (you may see the timetable on our web site). There aren't shops around as it is a business area with offices and a sporting club. If necessary, there is a big mall at 12 Km far from the hotel with the main shops which is reachable in 5 minutes by car.
We have renewed already 3 of the 7 floors with new colors and furnitures. Hope next time you'll visit us, you will appreciate the improvements we have made.
Chennai, India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

This hotel is group tour staying hotel. Hotel authorities not worried about room condition. Room s are old with peeled wall paper s with stains. colour changed carpets.no cup board.title s broken bath room s. It is in the business area.no shopping or eating place around.in between airport and Roma. 30 euro s from airport by white taxi.not near bus stand or metro.bed s are bad.2 star hotel. meant only for group tour staying person s.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
ROMDM, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rome - Eur Parco Dei Medici, responded to this review, 25 May 2012
Dear Guest,
We have read your rewiew regarding your last experience at Holiday Inn Rome Eur Parco dei Medici. We do apologize if some of the services did not find your expectations. We are going to renew all the rooms of the hotel and 3 floors of the 7 are already completed. All the rooms are refurbished with new beds and pillows. As for the food, we have our restaurant which is open until 22.30 and the american bar where you may have snacks until 01.00 a.m.
The hotel is located in a business area so that during the week-end is quite enough because there isn't too much traffic but you can enjoy the area with cinemas, game rooms and restaurants at 5 minutes by car from the hotel.
I really hope it will not be the last time you visit us in order to see how good we really can be.