“Good and unique restaurant with lyoness”

Ristorante Nuovo Canestro
Ranked #3,994 of 13,790 Restaurants in Rome
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Esquilino
Reviewed 26 June 2017 via mobile

Good food and funny waiter. Nice local in particular the only one in Rome center with a lyoness convention. So it was perfect to have a nice dinner based on fish food.

2  Thank Enrico T

Reviewed 22 June 2017

I made the mistake of going back to this place tonight because the group I was with was hungry, the restaurant was close to our apartment, at and the owner of the apartment recommended it. NEVER. EVER. EVER. EVER will I make that mistake again. EVER.

There were five of us. The owner/waiter sat us down and immediately wanted drink orders. One of the gals hesitated a bit, and he huffed at her. NO ICE. Strike One.

He brought the drinks, and I asked if he had gluten-free pasta or pizza. He snapped, "NO," huffed again, and walked away. Strike Two.

He came back a few minutes later and asked if we were ready, and the gal with celiacs was having a hard time deciding, so I asked him to give us two minutes. He snapped around and stomped away. Strike Three. We should have left then.

He came back, and we started our order. One pizza margherita and one appetizer. Another pizza margherita. Is the melon watermelon, I asked. NO, he snapped. The gal decided she wanted the mixed fruit salad with her pizza. Strike Four.

I ordered just the mixed fruit salad, and he said to me, "That's just fruit. What else?" I said I was not hungry and wanted just fruit. He repeated, "That's just fruit. This is a restaurant. You cannot have just fruit. You have a first and a second. Pizza. Pasta. NOT FRUIT." The gal with celiac ordered a pork chop and fruit, and he looked at me again and repeated, "This is a restaurant. You cannot have just fruit." He turned around and stomped away.

We paid for our drinks, for which he overcharged us by 25%, and we left. As we walked out, I saw watermelon in the fruit case.

We went around the corner to Le Caveau and had a wonderful meal that was what we wanted to eat, not what the owner of the place wanted u to eat.

Do yourself a favor and find another place.

Reviewed 1 September 2016

We went there upon a recommendation from our hotel. We did read some TripAdvisor reviews prior but still where willing to try.

Place it's a bit odd. Despite semi empty of Wed night, waiters where not to fuss if we will sit down or go else at all. They gave us menu, asked to choose a drink - standard, all fine and lovely. Once we chosen pasta we were told that actually from the card, showing about 10 only 3 are available.
Once chosen again, not our first choice a wrong order arrived.

Place is average, not much attention to customer and the decor is is just so-so. There really are much nicer places within minutes to walk.

Reviewed 11 May 2016

great dinner with delicious seafood pasta, fresh fried fish and pizza. Very tasty, thoroughly enjoyed.

Reviewed 21 December 2015 via mobile

The owner of our apartment recommended this restaurant. It was our first visit to Rome so we trusted local knowledge. It was ok. Most of the pasta dishes were not available which was disappointing, and the past dish I did end up with tasted like tinned spaghetti. Wouldn't recommend.