“A real treat” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ristorante Al Duello

Ristorante Al Duello
Reserve with
Save up to 50% when you reserve online *
Ristorante Al Duello is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #434 of 12,043 Restaurants in Rome
Price range: US$ 15 - US$ 44
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Navona / Pantheon / Campo de’ Fiori
Brussels, Belgium
“A real treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2012

Between the menu and the specials there were so many exciting ingredients and dishes on offer my friend and I were in a real bind. So we made suggestions. Perhaps we could have the clams in ginger and basil? And the seabass just with tomatoes and olives. Could we also try some of those amazing mushrooms displayed in the basket - perhaps as a side dish? Cooked in a tiny bit of garlic and oil? Oh yes. What about that red Alglianico from Basilicata? Deep, smooth, full bodied and flavoursome - and it was. Warm bread from the oven. The lemon gelato was so fine and smooth - none of that tongue griping stuff. Topped off with some desert wine - just enough to dip the cantucci in. Divine. Seldom do you find a kitchen that tailors its dishes to your suggestions like this. Next time we will even trust the chef completely and choose straight from the menu. Il conto was a surprise too - so reasonable, so unlike many of the places charging tourists Rome prices. Can't wait to go back. And by the way I almost forgot to mention the staff - helpful, nice and fun.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

• Greek first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
“Sooo yummy, and service was excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2012

This was the best dining experience in Rome during our honeymoon. So much so, that we went twice! It is a small place and you feel very catered to. We got the onion soup, which is sooo good. We also got the zuccini flowers wrapped in bacon to try and they were also spectacular. You can't go wrong going to this place!

Visited September 2012
Santa Cruz, California
“A limerick & haiku”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2012 via mobile

My wife and I went to Al Duelo,
A small restaurant, cozy and mellow.
The plate of swordfish
And homemade pasta dish
Show the chef is a talented fellow.

Owner Martina
Greets the guests personally
A really class act.

San Diego
“Overall good, but...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2012

So I was excited about visiting this restaurant...in fact, I saved it for my last dinner in Italy, as expectations were high, based on all the great TA reviews. And all in all, it was great...BUT:
I do have a couple of grips...

First the good: cute venue, enjoyable ambiance....there was a lovely winter squach display out that was a nice touch. The service: there were 2 women serving me...one was stronger than the other. but both were friendly.

I LOVED my eggplant antipasta...it was like a simple lasagna of eggplant without the noodle, very tasty. Also had the clam antipasta, very nice. good to dunk bread in.

Issues started with my beef fillet. I ordered it Medium. Now, since in Italy, I've learned to accept their version of Medium is different than mine, more like Medium Rare at best. This was RAW. Since it was a dish covered in a mustard sauce, I was sad to send it back, but I had to, it was still Moo'ing...so it left me for 10 min with the server....she brought it back apologetically.....I cut back in, still just about the same raw-ness! I didn't want to send back again, so just dealt with it and didn't finish. The server knew I wasn't enjoying it and offered a free limonchello or coffee, which was nice. I didn't want to be difficult and was happy to pay my full meal, but wish the kitchen had handled the situation a little better. Otherwise, a great experience!

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“Fantastic end to our holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012 via mobile

We have just enjoyed a wonderful evening at Al Duello. We were lucky enough to be staying in a hotel within a very short distance of this lovely restaurant. The meal we chose was both different and also very tasty and well presented. Then it was suggested we have a dessert with a dessert wine or an after dinner drink - and that was really good too! The service was exceptionally friendly and the combination of good food and hospitality made the evening really special for us. If we are in Rome again we'd definitely go back.

1 Thank Katyp64