“Perfect!”

and 1 more site!
Palm Gallery Hotel
Ranked #17 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 9 August 2012

From the moment we showed up, this hotel was perfect. Vincenzo greeted us at the gate and took care of our luggage and prepared beverages for us on the patio. The hotel is in a quiet neighborhood close to a park and a nice walk from the sites downtown. The rooms were spacious, bright and quiet. The service from everyone was exceptional. We wished we had stayed longer.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Palm Gallery Hotel

Reviewed 7 August 2012

Having read so many glowing reviews of the Palm Gallery, I probably came to the experience with relatively high expectations. I stayed at the hotel for four days in June, and although the overall experience was very positive, with wonderful and helpful staff, one particular event makes it difficult for me to give Palm Gallery more than 3½ - 4 stars.

Luisa (I think she is the owner) did many things prior to our arrival to make the visit very positive, including organising separate pick-ups from the airport for me and for my wife. We certainly got our first experience of Italian driving, but we both arrived safe and sound. I didn’t get to meet Luisa while staying there to speak to her in person. I was told that she was travelling.

Daniel and Lorenzo were lovely hosts, very helpful, and made every effort to provide good service. It seemed to me that many of the staff were doing long shifts, and then having to back up the next day, but at all times they were professional and helpful. If anything, I had empathy for the staff, because they were working so hard, and seemed tired.

One issue arose that was particularly concerning, and has resulted in this lower than average rating. On one of the days we left to explore the eternal city (leaving around 10am), and when we returned in the evening (around 9pm), we found the door to our bedroom was wide open. I had left my computer and iPad in the safe, but had left other valuables in my suitcase or on the desk, assuming that the place would be mostly secure. Nothing was taken, thank goodness, but room security has to be a core promise of any accommodation. The explanation may be a simple one, such as housekeeping forgetting to lock-up after tidying the room, however, it was a real worry. Daniel was very apologetic, and explained that the situation was unforgiveable; obviously not his fault, and he promised to follow this up.

In terms of the positives, Palm Gallery is better assessed as a quality boutique hotel, or perhaps a five-star bed and breakfast (which I see as a positive, rather than negative), rather than a hotel in the traditional international or business sense. A more homely feel, rather than an impersonal corporate “vibe”.

It is nicely located, away from the hustle and bustle of central Rome, in a quiet, suburban street. The bus ride into the main city is fine (although in the morning the bus was very full). Policlinico metro station is also relatively nearby; our first trip back from the station was a bit disorientating, but we found our way through lovely suburban streets. Catching the bus back at night to the hotel from Rome was also tricky, but once you worked out where the stops were, and how often the buses came, it was fine. Although you are a bit of distance from the city, you don’t feel “cut-off” from Rome. The neighbourhood still feels like you are in Rome.

Because Palm Gallery is located away from the main city, one service the hotel could provide is the ability for guests to buy a public transport ticket from them for the first trip. At night it is tricky to get to any of the shops that sell tickets, and as a foreigner, it is always hard to fully understand the local customs, particularly in relation to services such as public transport. Prior to arriving in Rome, we had stayed at The Circus Apartments in Berlin, who had provided weekly public transport tickets as part of the service (with a small deposit), which took a lot of the stress associated with trying to find where and how to buy tickets. Because The Palm Gallery is away from central Rome, this type of service would be very logical.

The room was lovely. Light and breezy, Very comfortable. Bathroom was small, but this is to be expected in Rome. Breakfasts were a lovely experience on the wooden balcony overlooking the street; the cornetto a la crema was a delicious indulgence, and Daniel’s coffee was very good.

All in all a mostly positive experience, with only a few reservations in relation to security and the public transport assistance. On reflection, I would recommend this to my friends who were looking for a relaxing Roman holiday.

I do hope that management takes this review as feedback on how to improve the experience, rather than perceive this as a criticism of their establishment. I know that they have many positive reviews, but sometimes it is useful to also be provided with input into how things could be improved.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tribalinsight
Reviewed 5 August 2012

We travelled around Italy for 40 days and Palm Gallery Hotel was, by far, the best stay that we had. I honestly mean this - if I could give this place more than 5 stars I would!

Upon arrival of the hotel, we were greeted by Vincenzo who took our bags (though I felt bad that he had to lug them up all of those stairs!). He sat us down on the beautiful deck area and provided us with drinks/snacks while we waited for our room to be ready. He then provided us with a map and gave us a thorough walkthrough of Rome and all of the tourist attractions, best restaurants, best shopping, etc. He was SO friendly!

The hotel has a very contemporary-feel with regards to the decor - I think one of the staff said that this hotel is now just 2 years new. Our room was beautiful, and we felt very comfortable staying there. When we went into our room and laid on our bed, we almost didn't want to get up to go explore the city!

The location of the hotel is also fantastic. It's a little bit outside of the city, which meant it was extremely peaceful, and the neighbourhood felt very safe. It was situated near many bus stops which made it easy to get around the entire city. It really only takes a 10 minute bus ride to get to Via del Corso (the main street in Rome).

Breakfast was also exceptional. There were many food and drink options (toast, eggs, fruit, etc) available to us.

In the night time, after a day of exploring Rome, it was great to sit out on the deck area to relax. It was so calm out in the streets, and you could even see the stars!

All of the staff that we met were wonderful. Vincenzo, Lorenzo and Daniel were so accommodating, friendly and warm. They helped us with every part of our trip in Rome, and were just so nice to talk to.

We can't recommend this hotel enough. Palm Gallery was so wonderful! If we ever return to Rome, there's no question that we would want to stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Eusebius1
Reviewed 31 July 2012

We chose this hotel due to it's place in this site, we were hopping to be away from all the touristic area but not far enough that we could not walk to get there. We were very happy with our find. Rooms are well prepared, comfortable bed, clean. Hotel personal were very kind, helpful and friendly. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank woodlande296
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Our first day in Rome all of our luggage was stolen from our car. Needing to get a new passport we had to stay another night in Rome. We found the Palm Gallery by chance and it saved us. The owner of the hotel Luisa was so welcoming, she greeted us and gave us a map to find the Canadian embassy and its hours of operations. Our room was beautiful and in the morning we were treated to a delicious breakfast. Daniel helped direct us to all the places we needed to go and gave us a great recommendation of a lunch restaurant. The Palm Gallery was so peaceful, it helped us recover from our more than stressful day. My next trip to Rome will definitely include a visit at the Palm Gallery.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple