“Beware of the bait and switch.. and rude desk person”
Review of Hotel Best Roma

Hotel Best Roma
Ranked #785 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
sonoma
“Beware of the bait and switch.. and rude desk person”
Reviewed 3 August 2012

I want to preface this review with saying that we are very agreeable people. We don't complain unless things are really horrible. I am trusting and feel that generally people in customer service want to be pleasant and accommodating. I worked in a customer facing jobs for years so I know it can be difficult. I try not to be a difficult customer.

We had booked 3 nights at Hotel Best Roma as the final nights in Italy. This was our first time to Italy so I used a travel agent, thankfully.

After travelling several hours by train and walking to the hotel in the heat, all I wanted was a nice shower, fresh clothes and to start my sightseeing of Rome. We arrived at the hotel and were told that our room was unavailable due to maintenance and that they were sending us to a different hotel, owned by the same company. We were assured that the accomodations were comparable. The other hotel seemed further away from things but being agreeable people we said ok. They paid for a taxi, though not enough so the driver was crazily trying to make it there for the 10 euro they gave him.

The place they sent us reminded me of a flop house in New York. Being a reasonable person, I went upstairs anyway because who knows, maybe it would be ok. It was confusing at first that the hotel was actually on the second floor. It's located in a building which houses businesses and apartments. The lobby was teeny tiny and it felt like a Youth Hostel. The musty old smell permeated everywhere, I could even smell it on my clothes afterwards. The so-called breakfast room was 4 small tables. Our room was on the fifth floor. We were informed they lock up at 7pm and we would only be able to get back to our room by buzzing for someone.

I took a shower then went to ask for a better room, or if they could put me back in the hotel I had actually reserved. The man at the desk said they had no other rooms. I went back to my room and waited until I could call my travel agent. Luckily they have customer support on Sundays. I was very upset about the whole situation. My dream vacation had taken a nose dive.

After explaining the situation to her, she was able to resolve it within 2 hours, but they said they would not have a room until the next day. We were so distraught and felt so unsafe there, all we did was stay in our room. The next morning at breakfast, which was the worst breakfast I have ever been served at a hotel, the desk clerk informed us he would move our bags while we went out sightseeing. Yeah right! We insisted, we would stay with our bags and they would move us both as quickly as possible.

At around noon, the room was ready and we went back to Best Roma. The desk clerk was polite and apologetic. The room was wonderful, everything we had expected, but we had already lost an entire day of our vacation. We went out for a late lunch and walked around a little then came back to relax. Later that afternoon I went down to ask for 2 more pillows and some ice. I was informed I could not have extra pillows and when I challenged him he asked for my room number. The ice he said I needed to have a container for, I pointed to the plastic cups and he reluctantly brought me two small cups with ice in them.

We waited for our pillows... and waited... then finally called reception where we were informed that they did not have any extra pillows until the next day. This is the most absurd thing I had ever heard. I almost asked him if I needed to call my travel agent to get him to give me extra pillows!! So day 2 in Rome was over and I was looking forward to a bad night's sleep. I have sleep issues and need two pillows.

The next morning I asked again, different clerk...the nicer one, if I could have 2 extra pillows. He said yes of course right away. I told him of the evening's exchange with the other clerk and he was also a bit shocked. He said of course they have extra pillows. So here we were, not having slept well, only day to sight see in Rome and now I have this feeling the other clerk doesn't like me or something. I decided to have the nice clerk take care of the airport shuttle for us before we headed out, who knows what the night clerk would have done? Probably would have told me they couldn't arrange a shuttle.

Oh yes the evening before, we had wanted a bottle of wine from the bar. Apparently they didn't have all the bottles in stock, only a few, and of course not the less expensive ones. He brought us the bottle. I asked if he was going to open it and could we have glasses. He seemed very put out by this. Then we said we were going to the "garden" to drink it. More exasperation from him but he did finally show up with the opened bottle and some snacks.

The next night, we also ordered a bottle of wine. He was a little more agreeable but not much. The day clerk had offered to pay for our bottle of wine earlier. The night clerk informed us of that after we were all done and leaving. He said his manager had just called to say we didn't have to pay for that evening bottle. Really? at 10pm your manager called you about my bottle of wine?

Overall I would have rated this hotel with a 4 or 5. It was everything I expected when I was finally settled in. Unfortunately, the night clerk's crappy service combined with them causing me to waste much of my time in Rome dealing with my hotel situation made me rate it so low. I paid for a 4 star hotel, specifically choosing that one out of the list offered by my agent. They tried to send me to a 3 star "budget" hotel which was half the price. I tried to find a way to contact their management directly but alas, no email address other than the info one which I cannot be guaranteed would ever get to a manager, so I am using a more public forum to voice my concerns and disappointment.

Room Tip: Our room was facing the garden which was a nice view and less noise.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank PrrlGrrl
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 2 August 2012

We stayed here for two nights and this was definitely not a four star hotel! The room was extremely tiny and although it had some charming touches like the tray ceiling, chandelier, I would not recommend this to anyone. The shower door did not close all the way so there was a flood in the bathroom everytime we used it. The pillows were like concrete blocks.The wifi is 3 euro/day but it is extremely unreliable and lost connection every five minutes. Breakfast is included but after seeing they just covered the leftover food with a cloth the night before, we were too afraid to try it the next morning. Location is a little shady, we were not comfortable staying out too late since we had to walk back to our hotel. It is close enough to the Manzoni train stop, about a 15-20 minute walk from Termini and the Colosseum.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

Solihull, England
Reviewed 26 July 2012

This hotel is just as it looks in the photos, very clean & fresh. Staff can't do enough to help you. Breakfast choice is fantastic & always well stocked with fresh produce.
The only consideration is it is located on the far side of Rome, 20-25 mins walk through a tired area to the main termini (rail terminal) where many tour buses start their tour. The area does not feel "dodgey" it just looks tired. I travelled with my 65 year old mum and she wasn't phased, it was just a tatty area.
Near to hotel with 3 mins walk you have 4-5 decent restaurants/trattorias so you can dine locally at the end of a long day! ( turn right out of the hotel and right again). The Colusseum is about a 25 min walk from hotel.
Generally the location is a little bit far out, but it ensured we had a quiet restful sleep, whereas if you were in central Roma, you'd pay alot more and have traffic & siren noise to contend with.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank SammyB0267
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2012

We stayed in this hotel in May 2012. Due to hip problems, I experience a lot of pain when walking for any distance, so was really impressed with the location. I even managed to walk to and from the colosseum! It's a relatively short stroll to Rome Termini from which you can get bus, tram, metro and train links to anywhere in the city. There are also a couple of metro stations closer, a tram stop very close to the hotel and frequent buses.

The hotel itself is very clean and new, marble everywhere. The staff are very friendly and helpful, a map was provided for us if we asked directions, with bus/metro/tram, whatever and out destination marked by the receptionist. We are from the UK, so the room was about as big as one of our double bedrooms at home. Very nicely furnished, nice ensuite. Yes, there is no purpose built bar, but if you want this and/or entertainment, there are plenty of places close by. The same goes for the lack of a restaurant, there are some very nice restaurants just a couple of streets away. The public areas provided were comfortable. I think most guests at the hotel were like ourselves and were out and about exploring most of the time as we never experienced any of the public ares being overcrowded. A little noise from the trams rattling up the street could be heard from our room, but I was so tired it didn't bother me.

All in all, a very comfortable and enjoyable stay at this hotel, and if I ever return to Rome I will be staying here again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dawn G
indianapolis
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Just returned from a trip to Rome, Venice and cruise of the Greek Islands. We were a party of 6 and were very satisfied with this hotel. Yes, rooms are a little small, but who spends that much time in the room anyway? Pleasantly surprised at how updated the bathrooms were! Rooms, lobby and breakfast area were clean and comfortable. Breakfast was good spread with basic foods and drinks. The outside garden area was wonderful for an evening drink but pretty pricey! Staff were all very helpful, especially JonLuca. We got two recommendations for restaurants very close by and both were moderatly priced and very friendly. Even got a complimentary bruschetta (sp) because we mentioned the hotel. We did walk to many sites, including Colesseum. Short distance to Metro and we rode it frequently during our 3 day stay. Front desk staff gave us maps and clear directions on anywhere we wanted to go. Warning: we were very careful about our purses and wallets but my husband's wallet was lifted on the Metro. My daughter confronted who she thought took it and I think it helped. His wallet was found outside the subway just a few minutes after he reported it stolen. It was missing his cash, but credit cards and ID were intact. The wallet was returned by a very nice family who saw it on the sidewalk and called the Hotel Best Roma because he had one of their cards in the wallet. I would suggest that everyone in your party put a hotel card in your purse or wallet. i would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Rome who wants a nice hotel that is reasonably priced!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family