“Queit Hideaway from a Busy City” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Moses Fountain

Hotel Moses Fountain
Ranked #491 of 1,292 Hotels in Rome
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Queit Hideaway from a Busy City”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

My wife and I came here on the first leg of our honeymoon in Italy. Like other reviewers have said the hotel is hard to find. If you are going there it is located behind the Fontana del Mosè and across from the Santa Maria della Vittoria church. It is very convenient to the Roma Termini train station which has a train line to the the airport. It is also close to the Republica metro stop and a 10 minute walk to the Spanish steps.

Upon arriving there was some confusion about our reservation, they had it under my wife's name, but for our trouble they gave us an upgraded room. The room had Cathedral ceilings and very nice new fixtures. We even had a little balcony off of our room. Lapo, the manager, was very helpful with finding places to eat and giving suggestions of things to do. Also on our last day we figured out that you could even change the language settings on the TV to watch in English! Another tip is that the white controllers operate the blinds which are automatic.

The breakfast was a more than ample continental breakfast that always had fresh fruit and even a salad. There was so much we even took to taking some of the packaged biscuits they provided along with us for snacks.

The best part of the hotel is that while it is centrally located, once you are inside you feel like you have escaped from the hustle and bustle of Rome. The city is definitely very busy, and we felt so much more relaxed each day when we got back to the hotel.

Room Tip: The superior room is definitely worth the upgrade.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Evan_DC
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
New York City, New York, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

This is a perfect hideaway in Rome, although you have to be ready to climb stairs to get there. If that's not a problem, stay here!!!

The location is great: 10 minute walk from the train station, which is also where you will arrive if you take the train from the airport. I walked from the train station without problems. Mind you, this used to be a very rough neighborhood, but no longer. In fact, this hotel is literally around the corner from the 5 star St. Regis, so that tells you all you need to know. It backs onto the lovely Moses Fountain--which explains its name.

It's a bit hard to find, because the door to the hotel is a wooden door in a wall that is marked with an inconspicuous sign. I walked past it two or three times before asking the doorman at the fancy hotel around the corner where it was. He condescendingly pointed the way.

Once you ring the bell, you will be buzzed in and confronted by two flights of steps. Close the door behind you, and if someone doesn't greet you, just leave your bags and climb up the stairs. They will then go down and fetch your bags.

The rooms are clean and modern and air conditioned (I was there during a heat wave). Breakfast is on the porch. You are across the street from a church with one of Bernini's most famous scultures, and walking distance from everything in central Rome.

Also, given the prices in Rome, this place is a real bargain. Mind you, there is no pool, no room service, etc. It is a place to stay--which is all I want in a hotel since I am there to sleep and not much more. They were, however, very helpful in terms of directions and suggestions for places to eat.

Incidentally, ask to be shown the inner workings of the Moses Fountain from the inside which can be accessed only through the hotel. Fascinating!

I will be back!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank susanb11
Pristina, Kosovo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

We stayed in June for 3 night in the Moses Fountain hotel. Admittedly, the hotel and me got off on the wrong foot. Upon arrival, I was walking packed with my luggage to the hotel. While standing in front of closed doors, I realized I could not walk to the reception, because there was no physical reception. Starting getting upset and several calls later Andrea (the manager) luckily showed up and helped me to settle in. Which lead to the second situation of the day. Considering the amount of money spent for the room, my expectations were high and dissapointed. I was told the room was already upgraded, however, it looked to me like a 3 star hotel room for a 5 star price. Not more, not less. Expressing my dissatisfaction, Andrea was so friendly to assign me a new room (luxury suite) which was more appropriate and even included a turkish bath. As a summary, we enjoyed our stay at the hotel, still I believe it is overpriced considering the rooms and amenities, I would therefore rather prefer a different spot to stay for my next trip to Rome.

Room Tip: I stayed at "Theresa", which includes a Turkish bath and a shower in the same room. Enjoya...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank gece77
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2012 via mobile

My wife and I came here for the first stop on our honeymoon. If you don't know the city and you are taking a taxi from the airport, be sure to have the address handy! The unassuming wooden door on Via 20 Settembre may fool you!

We walked up the stairs to Air Conditioned heaven, and were met by the young proprietor, who eagerly pointed us to great restaurants and local Roman amenities. BTW, we were never disappointed with his suggestions.

Our stay included breakfast, TV (with ESPN America!), AC a well-appointed room (especially for Europe) and a very attentive staff. We would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking to have a fun time in Rome.

We would only caution travelers who cannot do stairs: there is no elevator. The steps are not difficult, but there are more than a few.

1 Thank Chris R
Upstate, SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

We stayed only one night - but enjoyed it very much. We had the upper room (Turtle, I think it is). Very clean and nice. Bathroom was very modern. Proprietor was nice and helpful as well.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends