“Great food, great atmosphere, great service!”

Ai Tre Scalini - Bottiglieria dal 1895
Ranked #551 of 13,795 Restaurants in Rome
Price range: US$ 11 - US$ 17
Cuisines: Italian, Wine Bar
Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Monti
Description: CLOSE FOR HOLIDAYS from 13 to 19 August. Ai Tre Scalini is an ancient winery that was founded in the 800 in the picturesque Rione Monti, at the time of ancient Rome called Suburra. Officially bottiglieria since 1895, the place was probably already present even before via Panisperna and it was a place of escape and recreation, a “little town” where monticians and forastieri came to spend a few hours happy accompanied by a glass of wine, from a homemade dish and some stornello. There are many stories that have collected the three steps over the years. Stories of hosts and patrons, of Montician bullies and physical scholars such as “I Ragazzi di via Panisperna”, so many wars and so many loves. From the exploits of “Checco l’avvelenatore”, the legendary innkeeper who cooked his glaze on the stairs of the winery in the post-war period, to the cheerful evenings in the company of “Sor Leo” and the Watchmaker of via Urbana.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Recommended by one of the tour guides! A huge lineup when we arrived after a very long day tour and when we indicated that we were happy to sit at the bar and eat they were happy to accommodate us! We shared a meat and cheese platter that was very filling and shared the lasagna which we were told was one of the house specialties! Both were huge portions. For those that enjoy beer, they had a good selection. Excellent customer service!

1  Thank Beadle_07

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

This is a busy place that is typically full of folks. Tight quarters but decent service, given how busy it is and the food is good. I've eaten lunch and dinner at this spot and both meals have been quite good with interesting local selections of fresh vegetables, meat and specialty dishes.

1  Thank Thomas S
Reviewed 4 September 2018

I was traipsing through Monti last October on my way from the Galeria Borghese to my evening tour of the Coloseo. I have a difficult time choosing to enter a dining establishment on my own, often opting for a slice of pizza or another coffee. But it was raining and I was starting to get hungry, so I went in. Great choice. The atmosphere was casual and hip, I got a table where I could see the bar, so there was good people watching, and I felt completely comfortable by myself. I was pleased by the look, taste and freshness of the composed salad I had, arugula with fresh cheese and persimmon slices, sprinkled with black and white sesame seeds. I changed into my gladiator costume, refreshed for the evening's challenges.

2  Thank wordsalsa
Reviewed 23 August 2018

We have visited Rome twice. On our first visit, Ai Tre Scalini was recommended to us by a shopkeeper in Rome as a good place to have a good meal in a non-touristy restaurant.
We are so glad we listened to him and tried it.
It is a tiny little restaurant/bar on Via Panisperna, which was a short walk from our hotel. It is frequented by many locals and there always was a lot of people there. We had a very nice meal at a reasonable price.
On our second trip back to Rome, we emailed our hotel and asked them to make us a reservation for dinner our first night. It was as good as we remembered and was like a welcome back to Rome.
We are headed back to Rome this fall, and plan on dining at Ai Tre Scalini again.

Reviewed 18 August 2018 via mobile

Tourist ripoff restaurant and cocktails. One price on the big menu out front then the alter shows you a different menu when it’s time to pay. He also pretends not to speak English when I’ve listened to him for many years speak very good English. STAY AWAY. A family with small kids went screaming into the street when a rat ran across their table “outside”!