“Rome by Night”

Appian Line Tours Rome
Ranked #666 of 786 Tours in Rome
More attraction details
Owner description: The history of Appian Line goes back 75 years and thanks to our dynamic management and highly professional staff, the company over the last 40 years has developed into one of the leaders in the Italian Incoming market industry, guaranteeing to your clients the best service at the right price. A strong purchasing power within a wide network of contacts and highly qualified suppliers throughout the country, plus, a modern fleet of limousines, air conditioned deluxe coaches, multi lingual guides, tour escorts and qualified drivers gives you the satisfaction of knowing that you are in safe hands. A reputation founded on destination knowledge and a full range of services operated completely “in house”.The company deals with incoming tourism and provides a complete range of services, which may encounter your needs among: - Regular and Private Sightseeing Tours and Excursions- Escorted Tours throughout Italy- Transfers for individuals and groups- Airport Assistance- Hotel reservations for individuals and groups- Tour Operator Assistance- On-line servicesThe guides , drivers and assistants on our tours have been trained to help you in any way possible ,however , if for some reason you do experience any difficulty and they are unable to resolve the matter we now have a telephone Help Line to call during the tour .
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift
Cebu Island, Philippines
3 attraction reviews
“Rome by Night”
Reviewed 30 August 2012

The Rome by Night tour was pretty decent. Our tour guide was very enthusiastic, and I enjoyed listening to her explain with passion and all but I really didn't like how the tour mixed a lot of different languages all in one. Like after saying something in English the guide would then proceed to say the same thing in Spanish, German, French, and etc. I find it very disorienting and it sounds so unorganized and messy. I think the tour operator should just stick to one language per group or something.

Visited August 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Leics
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Rome by night with dinner was awful”
Reviewed 23 August 2012

We booked this trip on our last evening in Rome expecting an enjoyable excursion around the city followed by a delicious Italian meal. The guide didn't give out much information other than to say there would be loads to see. He sent us off in the direction of the Trevi fountain while he remained on the bus. The next stopover was meant to be the Piazza Navona - we were told those having the meal were being dropped off at the restaurant now (9pm) and would be picked up after 11pm. Five of us got off the bus - we didn't get to see the Piazza Navona! Two didn't come into the restaurant which left three of us. The food was revolting! It was meant to be a delicious traditional Roman meal with local wine. We have been to Rome many times but never had food as bad as this. With all the fantastic restaurants in Rome why would the tour operator choose this one. There were a small number of people in the restaurant but we were set apart. The trip alone cost 41 euros but with the meal it was an additional 37 euros! This excursion is run daily - I would advise against booking this trip. It was very disappointing

1 Thank MBK_9
AppianLinecommer, Manager at Appian Line Tours Rome, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
I am sorry you did not personally enjoy the tour . We send many people on the panoramic tour of the city and also with dinner . Being an evening tour the idea is to show places illuminated rather than providing a more heavy cultural tour which is provided during the day . Rome like most places at night offers a different scene .
The restaurant we use for many years offers a typical Italian meal , no not a full a a la carte . The only problem I agree is that it is not free seating , being booked as a prty the restaurant asigns a certain part in the restaurant . Many thanks
Jakarta, Indonesia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Absolutely Horrendous”
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Me and my family took the Emerald Tour, going from Rome-Pompei-Sorrento-Capri-Amalfi-Rome tour. They were amateurish, unprepared, inconsiderate, and disorganized beyond belief throughout the whole trip.

I'll break down the reviews for every different function of the tour:
1. Tour Guide
- The tour guide that accompanied us have a very basic English skill despite it being titled an "English Speaking tour"
- A girl (Who supposedly is in her 1st day of work) have no idea what to do and ended up bringing 40-50 to sweat in the sun in Naples while she figures things out with others from the company. Absolutely pay no attention / care to the tour members
- The local tour guide is slightly better and I can't complain too much about the one in Pompei, but the rest are simply saying things like "Now we are in Rome.. Now we are in Sorrento... that's it"

2. Driver
- The driver from Rome - Pompei was extremely Rude and borderline Racist. Doesn't speak a bloody English & for someone working in the tourist agency with the majority of the customer speaking English, I would expect a certain minimum standard, and "no inglese" for every basic question asked like "Is this the bus going to Sorrento?" is not acceptable.

An incident also occurred when we switched bus in the midst of all the organizational calamity where I left some of my things in the original bus we came with from Rome. So I mistakenly went in the Rome-bound bus (the bus I took was different but the same company + same bus model). I then went and look up at the storage area on top of the seats and suddenly the bus driver started yelling to me in Italian, rushing to drive me out of the bus with an angry outburst. He thought I was trying to steal his bag... I went out to the other bus and got my things...

3. Hotels
- It's probably just a country endemic but the hotels we stayed in (4 starts) have a very bad service throughout

At the end of the trip, they dropped us out in the middle of a main street supposedly near our hotel. I was in a group of 3 people bringing 5 pieces of luggage. And the guy didn't even bother to help us look for Taxi after us repeatedly asking him to help us do so. So he dropped us and left us to figure out the rest..

I came with a high expectation to Italy and left with a very bitter taste... DO NOT take APPIAN LINE, they are officially the worst travel agency I have taken in my life...

4 Thank RyanGoz
I have read your comments but must say , however , as Manager of a company that moves an average of 300 passengers a day most of the year , how surpised I was to receive so many negative description words . Firstly all of our assistants speak english if not they would not be employed by the company .
Our guides do not say only , now we are in Rome , now we are here , if not we would have many complaints from our 300 a day passengers.
Our bus drivers unfortunately do not speak bl.... english and being bus drivers in Italy speak just the odd word , thats why they are bus drivers . Our assistants and guides are there to provide this kind of informaion .
The driver when he saw you in the bus was a little taken a back , it is his job to guard the bus , and in certain areas tourist facilities such as buses etc are the attention of certain people , he was only protecting property and I am sure you must agree .
regarding the hotels we use they are all good standard 4 star european style hotels . Never any complaints about service , rooms etc .Full throughout the year and hotels used by many of the big European tour operators from the UK , Germany , Netherlands etc
In places such as Sorrento and Amalfi they have never built and hopefully never will build new glas box skyscraper hotels . They do not fit in with the surroundings of old Europe .
As stated in our brochure the drop off owing to traffic restrctions in some areas , hotel locations are made a certain parts in the city centre and not always directly infront of the hotels .
I am sorry that you felt this general bad impression of everything regarding the tour and our services .
Many thanks
Wheeling
“Vatican City”
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We toured the Vatican Museum, the Sistine Chapel and St. Peters basilica. The guide was most knowledgeable, witty and informed. We were overwhelmed by the crowds and the speed for which we toured but could think of no better way for a first visit.

If we'd do this again we would use your tour to get us in so we could see the other museums. We saw one museum but know there are others

We also connected this with an afternoon tour so lunch was included. We ate at a traditional Italian restaurant with a four course meal. No one told us this was a four course meal which really turned out to be too much food. The food was wonderful and the company of other tourists was most enjoyable.

Visited August 2012
AppianLinecommer, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Appian Line Tours Rome, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
Many thanks for your time in commending the Tour, we greatly appreciate it. On all our tours we do carry a fair amount of people daily, especially on the Vatican Museum, visited all the year by millions of people. We select the restaurants where our clients can taste typical Italian cuisine and our goal is to make all our clients satisfied with our services . We offer several tours around the main attractions of this magnificent city and we hope, in the future, to see you again.
Many thanks
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Enjoyed the tour”
Reviewed 20 August 2012

The pick up from our hotel was later than the scheduled pick up time informed to us but other than that, the tour was what we expected and more. We arrived at the Vatican in a new air-conditioned bus and only waited a little while to go through security and getting tickets. Our guide was humorous and provided interesting information about the Vatican and St. Peter's Basilica. We like that we could get into St. Peter's immediately after the Vatican as the line to get into St. Peter's was at least 2 hours long!! The bus also dropped off us near our hotel after the tour. Overall, we would recommend the tour.

Visited August 2012
AppianLinecommer, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Appian Line Tours Rome, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
Many thanks for your time to send some feedback and comments. We provide complimentary pickups from hotels all over Rome, which although programmed to run smoothly can be affected by traffic and late clients. The Vatican Museum is visited every day by thousands people and sometimes the Security Control could take a few minutes. I hope to be able to offer you a good service on your next visit to Rome, many thanks.