“Friendly and good value for money in great location” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Sole e Luna
Ranked #163 of 1,053 Speciality Lodging in Rome
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Friendly and good value for money in great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2011

My partner and I stayed at the Sole e Luna for 9 nights in May 2011. The hotel was easy to find, as all the numbers of the houses are clearly indicated on the via Meruluna. We were greeted on arrival and given useful advice on how to get to attractions and restaurants. The staff were always friendly throughout our stay. The bedroom was clean and decent, with en suite bathroom. The breakfast was basic, but very adequate and was brought to our room at a time of our choosing. Clean towels were provided willingly whenever we asked. There was a cold water drinks dispenser in the lobby, which was great in the hot weather we experienced. Whilst we took our own laptop, I noticed that there was a computer and free internet access in the lobby.
Sole e luna is within easy reach of all major tourist attractions.
I think some of the comments on this site have been very unfair and unjustified. Maybe peoples' expectations are too high and they are hoping for 5 star luxury, but this is a small bed and breakfast hotel. It's true that the hotel is located on the 4th floor and accessed by a small lift, but in reality this is perfectly easy to use. I admit that our room was noisy when the window was open, but Rome is a very noisy city and you can expect that in any central location.
I think the Sole e Luna provides good value for money and I would definately reccommend it to other people.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Greek first
South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2011

I booked to stay at Sole e Luna in 2010. Received confirmation by e-mail. Gave my Credit Card detils TO CONFIRM. Recevived confirmation. A day before arriving I called from Florence to confirm. They said they knew nothing about me. They were full and had no reservation for me. They offered to find alternative and e-mail me. Did not hear from them. I wish I knew where to report them to the tourism authorities.DO NOT TRUST THEIR BOOKING SYSTEM.

Room Tip: Look for a good hotel. The Hotel Napoleon is excet
Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

Kiev, Ukraine
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2011

This is not a hotel, this hole, which I suspect hiding Romanian illegals.

1. We pre-booked and paid for the room the first night. As a result, we were greeted by a sleepy person who could not understand who we are and what is coming. We do not expect anyone! "
2. Room is smaller than Venice - bed for a dwarf, narrow passages, there is no space at all!
3. Door with slits through which 24 hours can hear everything that happens at the reception. This is not a door - it's curtains!
4. Cheap plastic windows overlook the noise from the Via merulana - sleep is unreal!
5. Night at the reception desk is unoccupied. In the morning you'll be a long time (about an hour) to wait for coffee, and it is disgusting! Cheap drink 3 in 1 tastier than the coffee at this hotel.

At the request of the change room, we heard the laughter and the answer is that availability is not (it's low season, and with it I have not seen a single visitor or morning or evening!)
In the morning we were forced to find another hotel, and found it in 2 quarters. Cheaper and at times better! "
Do not try to pick a place in Rome on the set of an economy hotel with an excellent quality of service.
Congratulation! Nick.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank nick_not_cave
Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2010

So many bad things about this place. Biggest issue was the service. We asked for help with our luggage because you have to take it up a flight of stairs before reaching a very small lift. They laughed at us and said "We don't help. You pay for what you get" (100 euros a night, btw). Then, in Italian, one says to the other "They want a bell boy" and started laughing. We asked for extra towels because they only gave 1 per person for the whole stay (3 days/2 nights) they said no and laughed. One of the days we came to our room and found that whoever cleaned it shattered a bottle of our perfume. They cleaned up the mess/evidence, left the now-empty bottle on the night stand, and didn't say a word. We were too nervous to say anything to them about it because we just wanted to pay and get out of there with no more troubles. The pictures on their site don't express how bad this place is for the price. The bathroom we had to use was not the image online, and it was much worse. Plus it wasn't very clean and we had to share with other guests AND the staff that lived there. Our breakfast came to us in plastic bags, like they bought it at a gas station. How do they call themselves a Bed & Breakfast? Again, for 100 euros a night, I expect a lot more.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cal_and_Lu
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2010

I enjoyed my stay here, but it would not be rated anything better than 'average.' If you want a hotel to sleep in, but nothing more, then this is a perfect hotel for you. However, it is very hard to find the hotel since it's on the fourth floor of a random building. It took a while to find the hotel because its label is extremely small. When you look at the door, it would be on the right side. And, often times the owners aren't in the office so they don't answer the doorbell. Just wait around and eventually... hopefully... they will come. They aren't very helpful with tourism information either, but it's not too hard to figure it out on your own. The street, Via Merulana, is a great lively street of Rome though! They have many many shops and cafes. Particularly, Panella and il Pasticierra, are really delicious with great seating outside! It's also a very walking short distance from the Colosseum and the metro system is in Rome is not confusing at all. I slept fine, but if you are a light sleeper, do NOT stay at this hotel. The noise outside the room was RIDICULOUS. I'm a very heavy sleeper so I was fine, but the person I was staying with could not sleep at all.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family