“Hotel Opera Roma”
Review of Hotel Opera Roma

Hotel Opera Roma
Ranked #446 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 17 February 2012

We made on-line reservations for Hotel Sonya. We stayed for 13 nights. When we arrived to check-in, they escorted us across the street to Hotel Opera, which apparently is owned and operated by the same people. The switch was fine for us and not unexpected, because we had read about it in other reviews. Once you have made reservations, any email question that you send to them is answered quickly. I found it quite amazing.

So, here are my observations. Please recognize that I am an American and have done extensive business travel (in the USA mostly) and am used to pretty nice hotels of a 3-star and 4-star level. So be sure to bear that in mind as I give my opinions. Do NOT expect your room to be the equivalent of a Marriott hotel room. If that is what you expect, then expect to pay much more elsewhere.

1. The room was neat, clean, and adequate. It was everything we expected, based on other reviews. It was small, did not have an 'easy chair' or a small table for eating in the room. Again, it was too small to accommodate those amenities and we did not expect it. It had a closet for hanging clothes, plenty of drawers, and a large safe to lock up valuables and laptops.
2. The bathroom was very nice. The towels hung on a heated rack, which was nice because we were in Rome for the first snowfall in 26 years. The shower was all-glass and very clean and suitable. My only complaint is that there were no washcloths. We made do without washcloths. Maybe if we had asked for them we'd have gotten some. (I don't like to act like an American tourist and be too demanding. I want to respect the culture of the host country)
3. The internet was free and adequate. I did not like to get a new userid and password every day, but again, there may be a very good reason for it.
4. The breakfast experience for us was a highlight of the day. The very friendly attendant made us coffee any way we pleased. For us it was cappuccino for my wife and caffe Americano for me. You couldn't buy better coffee anywhere. Plus the attendant remembered our coffee preferences each day.....made us feel quite welcomed. The tables were covered with linen tablecloths. We ate off china, nothing cheap and disposable. The room was very nice and inviting. There were cold cuts and cheese, coffee cakes, cereals, and the most delicious bread-rolls. We ate the bread-rolls every day. There were no hot scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, etc. Again, we appreciate the culture and enjoyed what was presented. Be sure to try the bread-rolls. They look like a rosette and are crusty. We pulled them apart and ate them with butter and jam..... excellent.
5. The staff. What can I say? They were friendly, spoke English, and always immediately took care of any request (such as a burned out light, extra plastic cups, tv instructions, etc). They were also very likable and seemed eager to be of service. I wish we had used them a little more.....some of the Rome attractions were closed because of weather and the staff would have checked for us and saved us a trip. They also immediately knew the appropriate bus line to take to any attraction. They also suggested an alternative to taking the Leonardo deVinci Express Train back to the airport, saving us 16 euros. We also asked them for restaurant recommendations and were pleased with the result. So my hearty endorsement of the hotel staff. They couldn't have been better.
5. Rome is a very noisy, busy city. Some of the guests were occasionally noisy in the hallways during sleeping hours. Our room was not quiet. There was street noise. Sirens, and early morning trash pickup were clearly audible in our room. If you expect a sound-proof room you will be disappointed.
6. Hotel location was tremendous. Close to Roma Termini station and close to Via Nazionale, a main street.. Close to attractions. We took the Metro train to Saint Peter's, but walked to everything else.
7. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KAC1947
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 15 February 2012

We stayed 2 nights here on our first trip to Rome. Excellent friendly staff who were very courteous and helpful. Our room was very clean and well kept with heating that we could control and a kettle, hairdryer and fridge. The breakfast buffet was excellent. The hotel is in a great location- about 5 mins easy walk from the main 'terminii' but very near to the city . .no more than 10-15 mins and across the road from the opera. Would definately return ! !

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank thebrookes
Reviewed 28 January 2012

We have just arrived back home in spain and I couldnt wait to write the review...We stayed 3 nights at this hotel,it is our 6th visit to rome,and we have stayed in two 4star hotels that wasnt as good as this one,the staff were exceptional you would think it was there business the way nothing is to much for them...a credit to the owners. The breakfast is very good,large choice....we had room 207,above average size,very warm and cosy,with lots of hot water and a whirlpool bath.....I had a sneak preview of the suite room and did it have that wow factor...A must for the next visit..Hotel is well located for all the sites......would highly recommend.....

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank baronessbrown
Reviewed 21 January 2012

I was moved here down the street when Hotel Sonya did not have a properly heated room for me! (I believe they share management). I can state that the staff at both properties are sweet, charming and helpful -- must thank Angela at Hotel Opera Roma for her many kindnesses and the unsolicited capuccino. What a darling she is! Front desk peeps also molto gentile. While neither a 4-star nor 5-star place, this hotel does have certain small touches I like -- kettle in the room with tea/coffee selection, free internet for guests in reception, and a lift. The room was not large, but clean and bed was fine. Unfortunately, they use hangers that come out of little hooks in the ceiling, to prevent theft -- they are placed rather high up and in trying to get one down, it fell and banged me square in the nose. The lift is old but works when you close the door. Location is good for shopping, touring and eating, it only takes a day or 2 to become oriented to Centro Storico......and I must say, the rates this month were phenomenal... all in all, a good deal. Grazie.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 January 2012

My partner and I stayed here for 4 nights after a month long holiday around Europe and could not have asked for a better hotel. We arrived at Termini station late one night and decided to walk to the Hotel - it wasn't too far, however it is quite dark and scary around the station at night (a note for solo travelers), however we stuck to the main streets and found the hotel with reasonable ease.

The gentleman that works at night is absolutely lovely!!! He was so warm and friendly on our arrival, helped us to our room and after staying in a number of B&B's and hostal type accommodation we were so pleased when he opened the door to a large beautiful room and large bathroom (we booked a double room with private bathroom). Air-conditioned, beautiful marble floors and well the bathroom was great - after travelling for a month we were both hoping for a room that was not too small and we were not disappointed. I had requested a room with a balcony overlooking the street and it was quite lovely.

The hotel is in a good location - we walked most places and loved getting lost in the streets of Rome and finding beautiful places to eat. It was so nice to come back to the hotel at the end of the day, freshen up and then head out for dinner somewhere. I would recommend trying Hostaria Romana - an absolutely awesome restaurant - must try the carbonara and the buffalo mozzarella (I still dream about these dishes often!!). We went their twice because we loved it so much - we walked there from the hotel (as with most places in Rome)!!! Google it to find the specific location!

A few things to note: if you are accustomed to large hotels, this might not be exactly what you are used to, it is a number of rooms on levels of a beautiful building that comprise of Hotel Opera (not one large building that is solely a hotel), the air-con is a must when travelling to Rome in summer, there is free wireless, TV with cable (not many english channels), breakfast in the morning (unfortunately you will need to rely on other reviews on this point, we slept in and missed it most mornings!).

Also - we took advantage of the airport transfer for 40 Euro when leaving Hotel Opera - it was great (albeit a bit scary driving in Rome!!!) - we were picked up by a gentleman (he looked like Karl Lagerfield!) in a lovely black Lexus 4WD and off we were to the airport. In retrospect, I wished we had have used this when we arrived at Fiumicino, as we arrived late in the evening and the trains from the airport to Termini are not that regular and it was busy and really for 40 Euro at that time of night being picked up and driven to your hotel door is well worth it. This is offered as a service through Hotel Opera.

We loved Rome and this hotel - we look forward to returning to both in the near future!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple