“Mixed feelings about this property!”
Review of Hotel Il Convento

Hotel Il Convento
Ranked #4 of 186 Hotels in Naples
Williamsville, New York
“Mixed feelings about this property!”
Reviewed 1 April 2012

My husband and I spent one night at this hotel after leaving Sorrento, since we had an early morning flight from Naples. We chose this property based on reviews from trip advisor, price, and location. We had only an afternoon to explore Naples, and I agree that the hotel is perfectly situated for this purpose.
We were warmly greeted, and when shown to our room, the gentleman refused a tip - very classy! The room appeared very clean, and we later noticed this same individual mopping down the staircases and hallways. In all, I would say that the hotel was very quaint.
Here is where I get conflicted......
Our room was so small, that we had to use the only chairs for luggage. Our balcony overlooked a noisy alley, which I guess is typical of Naples. Perhaps I wasn't prepared for the "Naples experience". It was very unsettling. At night, the hotel was locked up - perhaps this was a good thing...or tells you a lot about the neighborhood! The elevator was so small, that my husband and I had to go up to our room one at a time, since it would only accommodate one person and one piece of luggage. We paid 98 euros for the room, so I guess that we can't complain, and have to realize that we were in a 3 star hotel. The hotel does advertise free wifi, but we couldn't get it in our room, and had to access it in the hallway outside of our room.
We did wander throughout the hotel and noticed that the bar and breakfast areas were very small, but attractive. Since we left at 5 am, we didn't have a chance to sample the breakfast. We did sleep well, since doors and shutters to the balcony do a pretty good job of sealing off much of the noise. However, you also cut off all of the fresh air.
Frankly, I don't see why this hotel is rated #10 of places to stay in Naples. Again, I have never stayed in the city before and probably don't quite "get it". I would have to say that it was a very unique experience.
Hats off to the very excellent staff!

Room Tip: Request a high floor to be further from the street noise.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Stanleymaxwell
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Milano
Reviewed 22 March 2012

So let me preface by saying my Napolitano (from naples) friend said "Do not stay in the Quartieri Spagnoli!" I called and even talked to the guy at the front desk, who assured me it's safe.

I went out at night with no problems at all. Even though I speak Italian, I'm very tall and blonde. Everyone knew I was foreign. There were nice people, great food, and lots of things near by to see. Europeans exaggerate about terrible neighborhoods. That said, it's still a good idea in any foreign city to do basic stuff like watch your valuables, and not entertain strange people that approach you.

Don't let the neighborhood scare you from this hotel. It's very interesting and very well situated.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AmerinMilan
Columbia, California
Reviewed 8 March 2012

I read all the scary Naples reviews, almost cancelled, then changed my mind. Stayed in the "worst section of town". Rode the worst pickpocket bus ever (R2). Walked through noisy, narrow streets to this rough looking hotel. Opened the door to warm friendliness, great service, a fantastic room and the best Italy breakfast of my whole trip. Neighborhood was fun, really loud and interesting. Great restaurants, too.
This hotel was the best deal of my trip. I would not stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: Taxi will get you close. R2 bus will get you within 200 yards. Do watch for pickpockets. Use money b...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank travelinman_CA
Buckinghamshire, England
Reviewed 23 January 2012

This isn't a boutique hotel in a quaint part of Naples, it's a shabby hotel in a seedy district. It was very conveniently situated, with friendly staff, though they could have been more specific about the risks of taking the Number 2 bus to the Station - my wife had her purse stolen and when we returned to the hotel, the guy on reception said'I bet it was on the No 2 bus!!! A bit late - eh?!

Breakfast was a pretty disappointing affair, though the coffee was good. The tinned fruit salad with oranges costing 3 euros for over 2 kilos in every supermarket, seemed a missed opportunity. The Junior Suite was a pretty unattractive room on the top floor with an uncomfortable sofa. There was a balcony that would be pleasant in warmer weather.

The stuffed cats in a basket on the staircase just about said it all for the style of the place.

I think we overestimated the Trip Advisor feedback and should have realised that at the price they charge, we should not have expected more than we got.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank sandj123
hotelilconvento, Proprietario at Hotel Il Convento, responded to this review, 26 January 2012
Dear Sir,
We are very sorry that you did not appreciate your stay at our hotel.

Our is a small hotel in a simple style and I can understand that may not meet the appreciation of all.

The junior suite has the peculiarity to have a private terrace that makes it very popular from spring to autumn, it's the reason why in winter is sold at a very affordable price.

But the thing I most regret is to read about the bag stolen on the bus (the exact number is R2, but you can understand that sometimes it is easy to mispronounce a letter when you do not speak in your own language).

However, I hope you've enjoyed Naples and have been able to enjoy all the attractions it has to offer.

Best regards,
Maria Chiara Mastrogiacomo
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 20 January 2012

Stayed here one night in July 2011. The hotel concept was really cool: it is an old convent transformed into a hotel. The hotel provides free breakfast as well as free wifi (in certain parts of the hotel). The hotel staff was excellent: they gave us a great recommendation for a pizza place, called us a cab very early in the morning, and spent 15 minutes giving us directions to the attractions on the map. Very reasonable price for the night as well! Definitely recommended if you're looking for a quiet hotel in an otherwise very noisy city.

Room Tip: Get the hotel staff's personal recommendations for restaurants! You won't regret it.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple