“Excellent hotel - peace and quiet in a very busy city!”

Palazzo Caracciolo Napoli MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #21 of 185 Hotels in Naples
Reviewed 14 June 2012

We were very impressed with this hotel which is in Centro Storico and walking distance to many of the sights in the city including the port to get ferries to the Islands and down the coast. It has great, soundproofed rooms which was great as the city is very noisy and busy so it was good to escape to a calm place after a busy day out. We had e-mailed them in advance and asked for a terrace room which we got, at no extra charge. These are lovely rooms with a large terrace looking over the central courtyard. The courtyard is very pretty and ideal for drinks in the evening. There are lemon trees growing and nice, comfy places to lounge. Reception staff were really helpful and gave us maps, found us ferry times, advised us on restaurants, booked us cabs etc. I'm surprised other people said they were unfriendly as our experience was very different. Andrea and Stefan were particularly helpful. Some reviewers have said the area is dangerous - I didn't think so. A bit of common sense is needed (like in any major city) and we avoided walking around with lots of jewellary, big cameras hanging round our necks and bumbags. Do watch out for the mopeds though! They whip around! There is a lot of graffiti all over Naples but this kind of added to the charm of the place.
The rooms have aircon which was appreciated after a long, hot day out sightseeing. The beds are large, comfy and have very good quality linen. There are slippers and bathrobes which were handy and a minibar. There is room in the minibar for your own stuff so we would get a bottle of wine to drink on the terrace and keep it cool in there. The bathroom was clean with a fantastic shower and nice toiletries. The hairdryer was also good so I didn't need the one I'd taken. One criticism is that the wi-fi is not free, we paid E7 for it.
The restaurant was good for evening meals. You can eat outside in the courtyard. It is quite expensive though so we went out most nights. The beef fillet was lush! Breakfast was also good with lots of choice. Bread, pastries, preserves, fruit, cereals, yogurts etc. There is a leg of ham you can carve yourself, cheeses and a small selection of hot stuff like eggs, bacon, sausages and fried potatoes. The serving staff take your order for tea, coffee but you help yourself to everything else.
I'd certainly recommend this hotel and am happy to answer any questions. If you're staying for more than a couple of days, I'd also recommend a day trip to one of the islands like Capri or Procida as they are beautiful and easy to get to on the hydrofoil

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 1st floor with a terrace which gives you a large outside space to enjoy. We we...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Palazzo Caracciolo Napoli MGallery by Sofitel

Reviewed 11 June 2012

Having found Naples far exceeded our expectations, we were thrilled to find the Palazzo Caracciolo also outdid itself. Well-located for walking or cabs to Naples centro storico, this superbly restored building with its quiet inner courtyard and large, light rooms is an excellent value. Staff matched surroundings: they were friendly, helpful, and always available. As we would never drive in Naples, the ease with which cabs were procured and the reasonable fares for attractions within range of the hotel added to the our sense of well-being. Naples is an enchanting but frenetic city: a hotel that provides a neopolitan experience without the neopolitan frenzy is deeply appreciated. Do make sure you book with breakfast included: breakfast is absurdly overpriced otherwise (18 euros!). However, if you get an inclusive rate you will feel quite well-served.

Room Tip: If you can spring for a little extra for a balcony, the experience of sitting on your own terrace ov...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank teezee
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Really beautiful hotel, fantastically helpful staff and the perfect balance to the frenetic pace of Neapolitan life! Naples is a fantastic place to visit, for its proximity to Pompeii, Herculaneum, Capri, Sorrento and the rest of the Amalfi coast, but if you're cramming a lot in you want to be able to come back to somewhere relaxing and comfortable at the end of the day, and Palazzo Caracciolo was perfect. The actual hotel is stunning with it's open courtyards, lemon trees, lanterns in the evening and lovely touches like the artwork in reception and the rope effect metal work. Room was lovely and clean and comfortable, brilliant bathroom with a great shower - another essential after a day of sightseeing! Also, the staff were so helpful, explaining routes, giving us maps, suggesting places to eat and things to do in the city.

Room Tip: Our room faced into the courtyard which was perfect - the rooms with the balconies looked amazing!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2012

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 June 2012

What a beautiful building! My room 131 faced the courtyard and had giant modern windows/doors opening to a spacious terrace with a table and two chairs. It overlooked a stunning courtyard.
The linens in my room were top notch. The bedding linens were so smooth I didn't want to get out of bed. There was a high quality bathrobe in the bathroom. Overall, I found my room spacious, clean and up to date. The ceilings were incredibly high. There were two complimentary bottles of water which is nice because most hotels will charge you! I found the service excellent.
If I ever found myself in Naples, Italy again, this would absolutely be my first choice for a hotel.

The hotel recommended a restaurant for pizza nearby. It's called Lombardi's and I have to say the pizza was out of this world! note: I eat a lot of pizza.

Transportation: Apparently the hotel has a pre-negotiated rate with a taxi service. Fare to the airport is 15 euro (I was charged 25 euro to get here; I didn't know about the rate) and 10 euro to get to the cruiseship terminal. I believe the train station is close (maybe walking distance).

Warnings: There are only stairs to the main entrance. I didn't see an elevator or ramp, but perhaps there is one somewhere?

Also, I arrived on a Sunday. Everything was closed except for some restaurants. The neighbourhood didn't seem like the nicest place to wander. Perhaps that may change today (Monday). There are so many warnings out there about pick-pockets and crime in Naples, so leave any valuables at home. I was told to carry my purse inside my sweater (if I was going to bring one with me). A group of kids (about 4) sort of swarmed me; they wanted to shake my hand, so I let them... while doing so I held on tight to my handbag with my free hand because there seemed to be a lot of commotion. I was told the pick pockets learn the trade a young age.

Room Tip: I loved my room 131 Ask for a room overlooking the NICE courtyard.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo