New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #30 of 99 Hotels in Sorrento
Austin, TX
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

We stayed for two nights at the Ulisse Deluxe Hostel on our 11 night trip through Italy, and were really pleased with it. The hotel (not sure why it is called a hostel?) was a good distance from the train station, but it was a pleasant walk up a street lined with shops. There was a staffed front desk (really nice, helpful and fluent in English), and a nice common area (with free wifi). For breakfast, they put out a buffet of cold items. Breakfast was included in our room rate. I think it sometimes costs 7E extra. (For us, it would not have been worth paying for.)

The room was fantastic! I'm not sure if we got upgraded or not, but our room was HUGE. This was the biggest room we had our whole trip. It was more like a suite, with two bedrooms joining a large bathroom (with a tub!) The room was quiet and the bed was comfortable.

This was definitely the best value of our trip.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank AustinGal2
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Mansfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

1st and foremost the Hostel Ulysses is not a hotel but you would never know that. If a swimming pool is a priority then you best look elsewere. The reception is as clean bright and airy as anywhere I have been in the world and nothing is too much trouble for the staff. The breakfast was as good as Ive had in Italy and the rooms were excellent, and very very spacious. I am syre that there are better hotels in Sorrento but the cost of staying in the Ulysses is just fantastic. Like I say if you do not need a pool then save yourself a fortune and book here. On our 1st day we asked the reception re where to eat and they arranged for a free pick up by car which took us to a place on the outskirts of sorrento. We were the only tourists there and it was a fantastic experience eating "Italian food". 5 star plus from me for the price alone.

Room Tip: all rooms looked good
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank andy2603
milan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

Loved Sorrento and loved the Ulisse. A very professional check in, very impressed with the public rooms and very very impressed with our room. Really beautiful to look at, immaculately clean, (as was all of the hotel, in fact). We really felt as if we were in a 4/5 star hotel. We even had a small terrace but I think we were in one of the few rooms (room 220) which had one. Breakfast was really nice, considering we are in Italy. The food was of good quality and care was taken to present the food well. The hotel is not right in the centre but it is near enough and it’s easy to walk from the station to the hotel. Whether you will do it with luggage depends on age I guess. We are 61 so we didn’t, 10 years ago we probably would have. If you are going to Amalfi or Positano you can catch the bus about 50 yds from the hotel. Our first day we ate at a restaurant recommended by the hotel, restaurante Da Filippo. The food was fantastic and the owner was very friendly. We were out of Sorrento, sightseeing, for the rest of our stay otherwise we four all agreed we would have loved to have had another meal there. Well, getting back to the Ulisse, not only would I stay there again if I returned to Sorrento, I think we would probably go back to Sorrento just to stay at the Ulisse.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank lisaitalyMilan
Cincinnati
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

My sister and I met two other 20-something girls on a late train from Florence to Rome. We were discussing our travel plans and mentioned that we were going to book a place to stay in Sorrento that night and spend a few days exploring the Amalfi coast. Having been there longer than us, they immediately exclaimed that we absolutely needed to stay at Ulysse. It was, they said, the best hostel they had found yet. And it was super cheap! They were right and I'm so glad we ran into them.

My sister and I weren't looking for a deluxe hotel since we didn't plan on spending much time in our room, but that's basically what we got with Ulysse. We took a train from Rome to Naples then another train (the circumvesuvio, I believe it was called?) from Naples to Sorrento. From there we walked maybe 20 minutes at the most from the train station to Ulysse. For those uninterested in walking a mile and a half in 90 degree weather, there are also taxis everywhere to deliver you to your destination.

Arriving was such a nice feeling. It was a HOT day in late March and I didn't know it yet but I was coming down with the flu. The lobby was beautiful, marble, and pumping out the air conditioning. The girl at the front desk with the dark hair was lovely. I really wish I could remember her name. My sister is fluent in Italian, but I am an absolutely hopeless English-speaking American and she couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating. She offered dinner recommendations as well as bus/ferry times and the best way to travel, since we were only staying in Sorrento as a home base from which to explore Amalfi, Positano and Capri (plus half a day when we went back to Naples to climb Vesuvio).

There was a single, small flight of steps that led to the second floor where our room was. There was also an elevator for those who can't do stairs. The room was spotless and looked out onto a little courtyard. My sister and I shared a king bed and never knew the other was there during the night, but they do have rooms with more than one bed. We just didn't want to spend the money :p The bathroom was clean and very modern. Marble, new shower, mirrors, etc. The hotel also offers spa services for a fee. There is probably no fee for those not staying in the cheaper hostel part, as we were. There are also computers with internet access for a small fee. We did not use any of these services, or even have time to use them. So much to do and see away from the hotel!

The only complaint I had about this place was the noise late at night. As I mentioned previously, I wasn't feeling well by the end of this trip. The hostel part of this hotel is full of college students and spring break merrymakers, etc. flirting with the boys in their group, getting drunk, and making a good bit of ruckus in the later evening/early morning hours. You'll find obnoxious students like this all over Italy, plenty of them American. They may be the same age as me, but even I was annoyed (and likely would have been annoyed even if I had not been sick). That said, I did not lodge a complaint, the noise died down on its own and I got plenty of sleep before our 7 am wake up call. Not really a big deal, but be aware that the walls are a bit thin.

There is a continental breakfast in the morning included in the price of your room. I would recommend getting there early. The selection isn't out of this world, but it's simple and healthy and I was very pleased with it.

Overall, I loved this place as a hostel. LOVED. And I would absolutely stay here again. I'm not saying it would be my first choice for a honeymoon, but for two sisters trying to make their way across Italy on a budget, it was a perfect fit at a fantastic price!

1 Thank CincyChic F
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

To all who might consider vacationing in Sorrento. I really reccomend Hotel Ulisse Deluxe.
It is an amazing place to be. Wonderful location, Two steps from the city center but at the same time away from the noise of the city. Peaceful;spot. The courtesy and the professionalism of the staff is absolutely incredible.Rooms are big, clean and nice. A very nice Spa, Sauna and sporting center is attached to this hotel. The breakfast at this hotel is so good and genuine everything it is prepared by the staff every single morning. Fresh croissant, Dont miss Hotel Ulisse Deluxe you would definitely enjoy!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business