All reviews central square great location roof terrace croissants night's sleep duomo di definitely stay at this hotel again amalfi coast best view in town no lift minute stroll top floor people watching rooms are clean sita bus ocean view continental breakfast
Reviewed 13 July 2017

In May, I was part of a walking group on the Amalfi Coast and stayed here for 2 days.
What the hotel lacks in ambiance, it makes up for in its location, gracious staff and generous breakfast. I cannot say enough about the front desk staff and the youngMan who was funny, courteous and wonderful.
If you are looking for simple, clean and located smack in the middle of all the action then this is your place. It is across from the duomo and offers great views of the mountains.
Had a great stay.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 July 2017

The website promises so much but the hotel delivers so little. Maybe they should spend more time on the hotel rather than their digital presence.

After booking on their website we were expecting a lovely little Amalfi hotel with a few stairs leading up to reception. 50 steps later with heavy bags we finally got to reception!

Once we were there we were greeted by a rather stern (not rude) gentlemen who showed us to our room without taking any details.

When we got into our room it was a fair size but very sparse.

There was a cupboard with a mini bar fridge in it but the fridge didn’t work, there were very few power points which in this day and age where we all have mobiles and tablets power points are needed.

The air conditioning blew warm air for 2 out of the 3 nights.

The bathroom is a reasonable size but it has the smallest shower!

The “sea views” are just a few degrees between the buildings in front of the hotel, but not what I would’ve thought a sea view should be called.

The Wifi is bad at best and non-existent at worst.

And if you are happy with church bells ringing, stay here as they start at 7AM each morning and continue every 15 minutes until early evening!

The breakfast terrace is lovely but the breakfast buffet is quite limited and the food is actually not that nice, the bread was stale, the juice was very sugary and the cold meat selection looked dreadful.

This is a very tired hotel but could be great as the thing it has going for it is location, but it needs a major refurbishment.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

I booked this hotel because of the good price but it also has a perfect location in front of the duomo. To make our stay even better, from our patio we watched a live concert. The room can be a bit loud but nothing that bad. The hotel staff is very good and Sayid helped us to have a very good breakfast and stay.

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 June 2017

Note: Please look at a few tips about Hotel Centrale at the end of my review!

Location is perfect for transportation needs and places of interest.

Staff is VERY pleasant and available 24/7 if needed. The breakfast staff is particularly good making cappuccinos, espresso and caffe americano's to order while keeping the food replenished and the breakfast tables clean.

Breakfast is had out on the beautiful terrace overlooking the square and includes eggs, yogurt, rolls, meats and cheese, cereal, fresh fruit, sweets and more.

The terrace remains open for the guests throughout the day so you can enjoy an apertivo before dinner or late night wine while people watching over the square.

The rooms and public areas are impeccably clean and the air conditioning VERY cool. Excellent!

Hotel Centrale makes no false allegations or pretenses about what it is and exceeded my expectations in every way.

Fellow travelers: Don't fault a hotel's ratings for not doing your research or for things they cannot control!

Tip: if you see reviews complaining of the steps (and reducing score)...it is listed on the website so the guest should have read it and known in advance. By the way...15-20 outside steps to the hotel. About 10 up to reception. Then some up to whatever floor you are on. Not 50 just to reception as a prior guest implied!

If you see someone complaining about the bells of the church (and reducing score), clearly it is talked about on every website everywhere and they should have known this in advance. FYI...the bells DO NOT go off during the night but start at 7am. Stay at Centrale, but bring earplugs if you would like to sleep in. Don't stay then fault the hotel for it!

A review submitted here a couple of weeks ago about a member of the staff not speaking english well enough really bothered me. A reminder that you are visiting ITALY and knowing a few words of "travel" italian goes a long way. The staff, though some better english speaking than others, all took great care of guests and offered genuine greetings every time I entered and left the building.

Case in point: I asked a (lesser english speaking than others) member of the staff to make a reservation for some loungers for me at Fornillo Beach in Positano, but wasn't quite sure what I wanted when the conversation started. I said the word prenotazione (reservation) and spiaggia (beach) and showed the phone number. He called Bagni Fernando for me, confirmed that the person on the other end of the phone spoke english, and handed me the phone. DONE! Thank you for your help!

Also thank you to the same member of staff for immediately jumping out of his chair to show me the cold water (flat and fizzy!) machine up on the terrace when he saw me come up with some food and wine for dinner overlooking the square. Greatly appreciated! No words needed and nothing but grazies and smiles from me.

Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank amclean2004
Reviewed 10 June 2017

Excellent location. Decent, clean rooms and a roof terrace overlooking the central square available for all guests. Some reviews here expect a 4 or 5 star experience. It is perfectly good for a 3-star hotel. Decent breakfast. Staff are all perfectly pleasant. If you know what a 3-star hotel is like, this is fine. Enjoy.

Room tip: There are no sea-facing rooms as such, because the hotel is in the centre of Amalfi. So don't ask.
  • Trip type: Travelled solo