All reviews central square great location roof terrace croissants night's sleep duomo di definitely stay at this hotel again amalfi coast best view in town no lift minute stroll top floor people watching rooms are clean sita bus ocean view continental breakfast
Reviewed 26 June 2017

Note: Please look at a few tips about Hotel Centrale at the end of my review!

Location is perfect for transportation needs and places of interest.

Staff is VERY pleasant and available 24/7 if needed. The breakfast staff is particularly good making cappuccinos, espresso and caffe americano's to order while keeping the food replenished and the breakfast tables clean.

Breakfast is had out on the beautiful terrace overlooking the square and includes eggs, yogurt, rolls, meats and cheese, cereal, fresh fruit, sweets and more.

The terrace remains open for the guests throughout the day so you can enjoy an apertivo before dinner or late night wine while people watching over the square.

The rooms and public areas are impeccably clean and the air conditioning VERY cool. Excellent!

Hotel Centrale makes no false allegations or pretenses about what it is and exceeded my expectations in every way.

Fellow travelers: Don't fault a hotel's ratings for not doing your research or for things they cannot control!

Tip: if you see reviews complaining of the steps (and reducing score)...it is listed on the website so the guest should have read it and known in advance. By the way...15-20 outside steps to the hotel. About 10 up to reception. Then some up to whatever floor you are on. Not 50 just to reception as a prior guest implied!

If you see someone complaining about the bells of the church (and reducing score), clearly it is talked about on every website everywhere and they should have known this in advance. FYI...the bells DO NOT go off during the night but start at 7am. Stay at Centrale, but bring earplugs if you would like to sleep in. Don't stay then fault the hotel for it!

A review submitted here a couple of weeks ago about a member of the staff not speaking english well enough really bothered me. A reminder that you are visiting ITALY and knowing a few words of "travel" italian goes a long way. The staff, though some better english speaking than others, all took great care of guests and offered genuine greetings every time I entered and left the building.

Case in point: I asked a (lesser english speaking than others) member of the staff to make a reservation for some loungers for me at Fornillo Beach in Positano, but wasn't quite sure what I wanted when the conversation started. I said the word prenotazione (reservation) and spiaggia (beach) and showed the phone number. He called Bagni Fernando for me, confirmed that the person on the other end of the phone spoke english, and handed me the phone. DONE! Thank you for your help!

Also thank you to the same member of staff for immediately jumping out of his chair to show me the cold water (flat and fizzy!) machine up on the terrace when he saw me come up with some food and wine for dinner overlooking the square. Greatly appreciated! No words needed and nothing but grazies and smiles from me.

Date of stay: June 2017
1  Thank amclean2004
Reviewed 10 June 2017

Excellent location. Decent, clean rooms and a roof terrace overlooking the central square available for all guests. Some reviews here expect a 4 or 5 star experience. It is perfectly good for a 3-star hotel. Decent breakfast. Staff are all perfectly pleasant. If you know what a 3-star hotel is like, this is fine. Enjoy.

Room tip: There are no sea-facing rooms as such, because the hotel is in the centre of Amalfi. So don't ask.
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 5 June 2017

Excellent service from very friendly and efficient owners and staff. Nice comfortable room directly overlooking Amalfi Cathedral. Nice but bijou balcony for people watching from. Only one pillow each when we are used to having two, but this was soon remedied. The usual continental style breakfast was served on the roof terrace; great views of the square if you got the right table - not a problem when we were there. Only downside is an Amalfi problem, not a Hotel Centrale one. The cathedral bells ring every 15 minutes throughout the day and seem to start pretty early when you're trying to have a holiday lie-in. The major one though are the noisy people who decide to shout and sing as they make their way past the hotel at any, and I do mean ANY time of the night. What with that and the refuse collection noise apparently in the middle of the night can make for a broken night's sleep. Take some earplugs, it may help. Overall, had a wonderful trip and I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room tip: Best view is facing the Cathedral
Reviewed 1 June 2017

Yes the hotel is certainly in a central location but that was about it, once we carried our bags up the 50 or so steps to reception, the gentleman at the desk asked for my surname, grabbed a set of keys and carried our bags the remaining 15 steps up to our room then left. We went down later to speak with him and he most certainly wasn't fluent in English, managed to understand that we would have to wait until 8pm when the other person started work, as he could speak English.

Our room was a good size but very sparse. There was a cupboard with a mini bar fridge in it but the fridge didn’t work and the air conditioning blew warm air for 2 out of the 3 nights. Also for a reasonably sized bathroom it has the smallest shower, I kept opening the shower doors with my elbows anytime I moved.

Had requested a room with sea views, what we got was a small balcony which was on the side of the building but if you looked to the left you could see the sea through a three metre gap that was between the buildings in front of the hotel. I'm sure there are lovely views from these buildings.

Also as the hotel is so central and near the church be prepared to hear the church bells starting at 7am and continuing every 15 minutes until the evening. The breakfast terrace is lovely but the breakfast buffet is quite limited and the food is actually not that nice, the bread was stale, the juice was very sugary and the cold meat selection looked dreadful.

Loved Amalfi but if I were to visit again I would not be staying at the Hotel Centrale.

Room tip: Rooms away from the church
Reviewed 1 April 2017 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights and couldn't fault it. We had booked rooms facing the Duomo and the views were fantastic. The rooms were spotlessly clean and very comfortable. We enjoyed our breakfast up on the roof terrace. There was a great selection every morning. The area could be quite noisy but we expected that because it was so central.
The Manager was extremely helpful and gave us lots of information about ferries and transport to other towns on the coast.
We will definitely stay here again when we return to Amalfi!

Date of stay: March 2017