See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 9 April 2017 via mobile

Nice position in the heart of Matera
Modern furnishing (wardrobes not in all rooms) -
Difficult use of the showers -
Doors not soundproofed-
Very low quality breakfast !!
Reception staff very kind and helpful

Date of stay: April 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 May 2016

My wife and I stayed here for a few days in August 2015. The hotel is right at the top of Matera and conveniently located within walking distance of the entire old town. The only downside of that is that if you descend into the valley to sample the many outstanding restaurants then you have to allow for quite a few stairs back up to the hotel. Or you may take the view that it's free exercise you'd pay for elsewhere and helps to burn off some of those delicious excess calories you've just been eating and drinking...

The room was spotlessly clean, comfortable and stylish but ladies will notice the lack of a dressing table. Our room had a shower but others have baths if you prefer them. A minor complaint is that a table and a couple of chairs would have been appreciated; if located near a window that would have also sorted out the dressing table problem.

The room has a fridge and a safe, but the safe is a little small by the latest standards and so we couldn't fit all our cameras and lenses inside and the laptop had to take its chances outside the safe. On the plus side, it's not an easy hotel for strangers to just wander into. They have to pass the front desk which doubles as a coffee and refreshment bar and then get in the single lift, or must enter via the stairs and back door using a resident's key.

The hotel has a breakfast room serving a cold buffet, the selection was limited but good quality and there was a member of staff present to attend to our requests for properly boiling water (to make tea) and to keep things clean tidy and replenished. Little things matter: the buffalo mozzarella at the breakfast buffet was absolutely the very finest my wife and I have ever tried, and was served as small hand-knotted pieces which gave it a wonderful texture.

The hotel has free wifi but our room (101) was too far from the router to get it. But just after the breakfast area is a small and comfortable lounge area for guests and the signal was fine there.

In the few days we were staying we appeared to be the only guests except for one night when signs were seen of one other room having been booked.

Only one receptionist spoke English and while we were staying she was there for the afternoon and evening shifts, but the other staff and ourselves still managed to communicate adequately for most things.

Very happy with this little gem of a four star hotel and would have no regrets staying there again. And Matera is so wonderful that we really hope to return there at some point for another few days.

Room tip: Room 101 has great views (and a circular bed!) but is too far from the wifi router to get a signal.
Date of stay: August 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2016 via mobile

Perfect 4-star hotel in the Centre of Matera. Breakfast was ok. Hotel room was very clean and friendly staff. If we would return to Matera, we would stay there again. We had the junior suite and we can recommend it!!

Date of stay: March 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2015

The outstanding aspect of this hotel, besides its good location, was the kindness its employees showed an exhausted American tourist. After arriving 10 hours earlier than I had reserved, a clerk showed me a room where I promptly showered and rested. When I arrived there in early July, I did not see many American tourists. It was also difficult to find Materans who spoke English. Thanks especially to Maria at Albergo del Sedile for all of her help to me: locating a guide and sending me to her family's good restaurant.

Room tip: Ask for room with balcony facing away from Piazza dei Sedile.
Date of stay: July 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 30 June 2015

This hotel has perfect location: in the center of Matera. My room had great view on the beautiful square. Every evening the music was coming from the music school which was near. The coffee was great and the room very nice.

Date of stay: July 2014