Open today: 9:30 AM - 1:30 PM, 4:30 PM - 7:00 PM

Thorough fascinating Matera walking tour

Reviewed 23 September 2017
hgoldman77
hgoldman77

All reviews three hours luca life cave history region
Reviewed 16 October 2017

Last month, my wife Margherita and I decided to treat Daniela, an Australian friend of ours, to a guided tour of the famous Matera “SASSI” . By pure chance( a quick search on the net) I happened to engage a guide called Maria-Pia Albano. This very talented woman took us into a world that we didn’t know existed. Her two hour tour enthralled us completely . Not only was she extraordinarily knowledgeable, but the sheer enthusiasm and unrivalled passion with which she expounded her story about her beloved “ Sassi “left us deeply moved.
This afternoon will remain for all of us, thanks to Maria-Pia, an unforgettable and most enjoyable experience.
Nick Tavalion

1  Thank NicolaT2234
Reviewed 23 September 2017

Maria Teresa Barbaro walked us through Matera and described life inside those caves in the 20th Century from the perspective of a grand daughter of a man who spent almost his whole life as a cave dweller in Matera. Good command of English language, excellent knowledge of history and geology of the region, she guided us through the labyrinth of Matera so that we began to feel at home there. She spent about three hours with us, maybe more. Very generous with her time.

Reviewed 15 October 2016 via mobile

First, Guide Matera was so very prompt in their response to my inquiry of availability of a private tour in English. I had asked if they could accommodate our small group of 3 the next morning. Not only were we able to secure Marta for our requested time in the morning but she also met us right at our hotel. She was very friendly yet professional and took us to the highlights we asked to see as well as gave us a few different options so we could truly customize our trip. She is a a wealth of knowledge no matter what question we asked. She also took us for a small tasting of local foods from the region where we stocked up on delicious provisions for our journey to Lecce. I highly recommended booking your tour with this company! ***Thanks so much Marta - we thoroughly enjoyed it. And thank you Luca for your prompt emails and clear communications!

1  Thank AJ2
Reviewed 26 September 2016 via mobile

Our tour was led by our guide Marta who was both professional and friendly. The tour took about three hours and took us through the Sassi areas. Marta provided an insight onto the history of the area and an insight into the way of life of the inhabitants. Most enjoyable. Can recommend.

Reviewed 24 September 2016 via mobile

Luca made it easy. He worked with us on dates, times, length and itinerary to make a perfect tour for the 4 of us. Angela was our tour guide. She was timely, informative and interesting. We saw a lot and learned a lot! I highly recommend Guide Matera!