My wife and I stayed here for four nights to celebrate her birthday. The hotel is within easy walking distance of Valencia's historic centre, yet pleasantly located away from it. One of its major assets is its courtyard, where you can have drinks.
Our Grande Deluxe room on the top floor was very spacious and comfortable, with an excellent marble bathroom with both a bath and a spacious walk in shower. The room's private terrace, with 2 sunbeds and a table and 2 chairs, was a real bonus when the sun shone. There is no real view from the room or terrace and is quite a lot of traffic noise when on the terrace, but it's OK in the room - if you are a light sleeper, take earplugs.
On our first night, we ate in the hotel's Gourmet restaurant. When checking in, we asked whether it was necessary to reserve a table in that restaurant and were given a voucher for a free bottle of Spanish shiraz if we ate there. The wine was fine and the food was OK but nothing special. The hotel's other restaurant (Rosmarino) was only open for breakfast - the best part of which was the excellent Valencian orange juice.
Service varies from excellent (bell boys, the bar, housekeeping and, usually, reception and breakfast) to poor. For example:
- due to the timing of our flight, we arrived at 1pm, as we advised the hotel by email a few days earlier. Reception told us that our room would not be ready for about 20 minutes (which was not a problem, since we had arrived 2 hours before the normal checkin time) and said they would send someone to the bar to tell us when it was ready. 50 minutes later, no one had come, so we went to Reception for an update. The guy who had checked us in was nowhere to be seen and there was no apology from his replacement.The room had clearly been ready for some time, as our luggage was already there.
- when I rang the Service Desk to make the dinner reservation, they said they would check whether a table was available and ring me back to confirm. 2 hours later, they still hadn't called back - I called again to be told that the booking had been made but again there was no apology for not calling me back.
- even though we were the first to arrive in the Gourmet restaurant for dinner and it was clear that it was far from fully booked, they initially offered us a very poor table next to the kitchen and a service station, so we asked for another one, which was much better.
- I emailed the hotel before arrival mentioning that it was my wife's birthday during our stay. Even though I am an SPG member, there was no recognition of her birthday - not even a card. We almost always go away for our birthdays and I can't think of another hotel that has failed to do something to recognise a birthday.
This otherwise excellent hotel needs to smarten up on service in some areas. We got a 40% online discount through ASDA and, if we managed to do so again, we would still stay there again despite the shortcomings in some areas.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the exclusive The Westin Valencia, 5* G.L. Located in the city center in an impressive historic building, it is the ideal choice to discover the city and enjoy a exquisite atmosphere. It offers 135 confortable rooms and suites, with Westin Heavenly Beds, restaurants, meeting rooms, bars, wellness center and Mediterranean gardens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Starwood EMEA, Prestigia, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Westin Valencia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin Valencia Hotel Valencia
- Westin Valencia
- Valencia Westin