“Thoughtful and unexpected treat.”
Review of Poseidon Resort

Poseidon Resort
Ranked #76 of 191 Hotels in Benidorm
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 24 January 2012

I stayed at the newer of the two hotels of the complex for two nights on the 13th and 14th of January 2012. There were five of us in our group and the hotel was chosen by one of our party who travels frequently and thought that this hotel ticked all the boxes in terms of location, facilities ( we were staying on a half board basis) and value for money. We arrived at around eight thirty PM and were efficiently checked in by David on reception. He was aware that we had not yet eaten and that the restaurant would be closing soon so suggested that we put our cases in the secure room by reception and proceed straight in to eat. The food was varied and even though we all had different main dishes we enjoyed what we had had. There were guests of varying nationalities and I'm sure that everybody could find something on the buffet to satisfy.
Another reviewer has mentioned that the lifts are a bit slow and yes they are plus they are a bit small especially if you are getting in with suitcases but it's not a major issue. My room was spotless as were the two rooms occupied by my friends. I did take advantage of the safe in the wardrobe which required a payment in advance but two thirds of the cost was refunded when the key was returned at the end of my stay.
It so happens that it was my birthday on the 14th and as the member of staff in the restaurant ticked off my room number for the evening meal she handed me an envelope. Inside was a note signed on behalf of the manager wishing me a happy birthday. I suspected my friends had tipped them off but it appears that the hotel reception had checked our passports and noticed the occasion because my friends were as surprised as I was. A few moments later, Blanco, the restaurant manager came over to add his congratulations and to say that they would like to offer my friends and I a complimentary bottle of Cava to enjoy with our evening meal. What a nice and unexpected touch-well done to all staff!
Even without the unexpected treat I would have to say that the hotel was more than adequate for our needs. It is nicely decorated and one English person I spoke to said that they were booked in for nine weeks to escape the cold British weather. The old town is no more than ten minutes walk away and the main bars and clubs about fifteen minutes walk away as is Levante beach.
As there are two buildings making up this complex we didn't know which one we would be staying in until we arrived. The only tip I would give is to contact your transfer company once you have checked in and tell them which of the two buildings you will need to be picked up from as the two reception areas are on opposite sides.
I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel. Thank you for your kindness and an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
9  Thank Aeroguy757

Reviewed 22 January 2012

Revisited the Poseidon Hotel to see if the food had improved. What a let down. The food had got worse if that was possible, and some of the staff were unhelpful, catered more for the spanish clients. Although in a good location, will not use this hotel again until I get some positive feedback from other trip advisors.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
7  Thank KEN11111
Reviewed 16 January 2012

I was in the Palace block, which is the taller of the two blocks. As I was near the top, I had good views over Benidorm and between the gaps I could see the sea. There seemed to be more British in this hotel, compared to the other block.
The complex is very close to the old town, where most of the shops are, and just a bit further is the beach, so, very well located.
Both the complex and the resort seemed to be full of spanish pensioners, time of year?.
Rooms were recently refurbished to a good standard and whole hotel was clean and spotless. Three lifts were plenty enough.
Staff were friendly and helpful.
For the price, the food was good quality and with plenty of un-processed meats and variety.
Indoor swimming pool was not very big, but useable and very warm. There was a small gym, alongside, that had the normal machines, which all seemed to be working.
The entertainment in the Palace building did not seem to 'take-off'. Perhaps the seating configuration is wrong?. Mainly British attendees.
In contrast, the entertainment in the other building was packed every evening with the spanish pensioners dancing. (same entertainers as in the Palace building). In other hotels like this, there are more non-spanish and they join in and make the atmosphere less spanish dominated.
In conclusion, a very good hotel for the price, but it justs needs a few more British guests.

Room Tip: High floor in the Palace block have the best views.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Yessirhesaid
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Just returned from this hotel on 14/1/2012 and was not disappointed. The hotel was spotless staff were courteous and food was plentiful and varied.for british and europeans. Bars n shops nearby as is the beach n old town. Levante area is a little further. Entertainment needs reviewing but there is a resident organist and you can also use the other hotel on the complex. This is a good 3 star hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms 1 to 12 are pool view and of course higher floor gives sea view as well.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank PatriciaCaerphilly
Reviewed 11 January 2012

The hotel was lovely, clean and had a jacuzzi and HEATED indoor pool. That was one of the reasons I chose it, along with the fact that it's popular with the Spanish. I'm vegetarian, and although the Spanish don't really get vegetarianism, there was always plenty for me to eat. The food was plentiful and well prepared although fellow veggies should realise that often soup is cooked with fish stock (you can tell if this is the case by the smell). The staff were very friendly and helpful, even when faced with gormless guests wondering about the dining room like 'farts in trances' as my dad would put it.
The rooms were small but more than adequate. We were on the top floor and had a great view of the town from our balcony. The beds were very comfortable although they only have one (thin) pillow; you can get an extra pillow from reception if you want one.
The outdoor area was lovely although because this area of Benidorm is full of tall buildings, it was in shade by the afternoon. There was live music in the bar every night with Jim Vives. I especially enjoyed his set with the girl on the congas; they were obviously having a great time! There was also a bingo evening which was good fun, especially for my goddaughter, who won! We also saw Flamenco dancers - they were amazing!
The animation team were very friendly and welcoming. We stayed over Christmas and had a great time, along with the Spanish and English pensioners, and the Belgian families. Many guests seemed to be regulars, so obviously they like the place too! It was like a big family Christmas!

Room Tip: Get a room on a higher floor for a good view of the town and sea. The bathrooms have hairdryers. The...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family