“What an experience!”
Review of La Candela Resto

La Candela Resto
Reserve with
La Candela Resto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 11,555 Restaurants in Madrid
Price range: US$ 41 - US$ 71
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Fusion
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Centro
Description: La Candela Resto is a tiny restaurant located in the center of Madrid where we would like you to experience a gastronomy travel. We offer two degustation menues: the long one and the short one, with seasonal products and a lot of imagination. In La Candela Resto you need to open your mind before you open your mouth.
Reviewed 17 May 2016 via mobile

I booked this restaurant for the anniversary dinner with my wife after researching several blogs, reviews and internet sites. We chose the nine course menu and a bottle of Spanish red wine with full body.
The experience began with some appetizers and then the service began with a soup. The friendly waiter explained each course in detail. I and my wife gave up understanding the contents of the dishes, especially the exotic herbs from Korea, Thailand or elsewhere in far east and just let this culinary experience roll over our tongues. The way the dishes were served, in a jewel box of glas or on a wooden branch, the good timing between the courses and the portioning of wine, just in line with the nine course menu was excellent.
Me and my wife were surprised by each new taste, but one was really different: candy electrico. It was like a small piece of jelly, you take it as a whole in your mouth and it explodes, leaving first a freezing electrical shock in your tongue, then slowly changing the taste from sweet to light sour. This really was experimental.
All in all, I strongly recommend this experimental experience. We were delighted not only with what we ate, but also with the quality of service. The 200€ bill was without any doubt worth it.

1  Thank Mehmet A

Reviewed 7 May 2016 via mobile

No menu but it makes your dinner even more exciting. Very very tasty food, pleasant staff and fantastic atmosphere.

Reviewed 4 May 2016

Visited La Candela recently when visiting a friend in Madrid who had booked the restaurant well in advance. I had not been to a taster menu restaurant before and so was excited to find out what was in store. I was certainly not disappointed! We paid for the 9 course taster menu, which roughly consisted of an appetiser, 2-3 fish dishes, two meat dishes and the rest desert courses. What struck me most was the inventiveness of the chef, every dish which came out was designed in a truly innovative way, with a concoction of flavours I didn't know existed! Be sure to look out for what I can only describe as "liquid capsules", which explode in the mouth revealing the inner flavour. Without revealing the secrecy of the taster menu, the menu on this specific evening catered for all (squid,pigeon to name a few of the courses). I am not the biggest fish lover so I would warn those of similar taste that quite a lot of the courses contained fish. One disappointment was despite the staff being extremely hospitable, their attire left a lot to be desired (shoes of poor quality/no uniforms/rough hair and appearance) which was a surprise given the classiness of the food. The decor is very simple as well which I found surprising.

2  Thank Philip L
Reviewed 1 May 2016 via mobile

To be honest, I was disappointed. I came here with my mother to celebrate Spanish mother's day and I didn't like it at all. I like to eat, I really like it but today I left this restaurant like I've never done it before, feeling like I wanted to throw up. Maybe it's just because I don't like this type of food but it was disgusting. The service was amazing but the food... I had to eat it quick cause if not I wouldn't have been able to eat it. I won't come back, not at all. Terrible, disappointing and disgusting. The worst experience I've ever had in a restaurant. Not to recomend it at all, at least in Madrid. Better and cheaper places nearby.

Reviewed 25 April 2016

This is a small and intimate restaurant offering exquisite tasting menus across many food cultures. Little portions of beautifully conceived food, pared with wine if you like. The chefs do a brilliant job and the front-of-house staff are warm and effective. This is a relatively expensive restaurant, but the location, food and service are fully justified.

1  Thank Deuterium38