“Perfect for a stay in Madrid”

Suites Viena – Plaza de Espana
Ranked #31 of 441 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Everything I needed for my short stay in Madrid – a central location with good transport links and nice accommodation with the ability to fix simple meals.

After reading other comments about kitchen crockery, I mentioned that I’d need a full set of utensils, etc when I made my reservation and when I checked in I was told that it was all ready in the room, which it was. The staff at reception were always friendly and helpful and never made any attempt to speak to me in English, which I appreciated as I wanted to speak Spanish, even though they had excellent English when I heard them dealing with other guests.

The room (junior suite on top floor) was well proportioned, with comfortable beds, quiet and efficient air con and a small but adequate kitchen. The bathroom design was flawed as I would have sacrificed the bidet in order to have more space for the toilet which was right up against the sink countertop. The shower water temperature was also rather temperamental and never constant which was disappointing given the good pressure and shower head.

Toiletries provided included wall-mounted shower gel/shampoo, which was made in Germany and quite pleasant. Comb, shoe-shine, shower cap, toothbrush/paste, razor/cream but no body lotion or conditioner. The flat-screen TV had many digital and HD channels (mostly Spanish, TV and radio) and although I could get a good WiFi signal in the room, it would only work correctly when I was in the lobby.

Electronic safe worked well and there was ample storage for 2 people. The terrace was a great size though pretty bare, with table & 4 chairs and a sunbed. Unfortunately, given the temperatures during my stay (edging 40C most days), I could only use the terrace for breakfast when it was a comfortable 25C as facing west at the rear of the property, it was in full sun from late morning onwards. It was fairly private, though could have done with the same opaque screening from the apartment in the neighbouring residential block as there was between other suite terraces as the residents in the apartment were clearly visible.

The property is just a few minutes’ walk to either Plaza de Espana or Ventura Rodriguez metro stations but you can be on the Gran Via in about 5 minutes walking. There are several Dia supermarkets in the locality (one in the next street) or there’s a large supermarket in the basement of most Corte Ingles department stores, the nearest being at Arguelles metro (about 10 mins’ walk away). The hotel is also just a few blocks away from the parks on the west side, the Templo de Debod and the Teleferico.

I found the hotel to be very quiet and it was nice to get back to tranquility after the heat and bustle of central Madrid. I will consider it for my next stay in Madrid.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear are away from the street and face SW so get a lot of sun.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank TravelGav

Reviewed 22 August 2012

I really enjoyed staying in this hotel. The rooms are a good size and very clean. Loved having a refrigerator and microwave in the room. The staff spoke English which was a plus since my Spanish is bad. It's conveniently located near the metro, shopping and other landmarks. I highly recommend this hotel and would definitely stay here again if I were to visit Spain again. I was recommended this hotel and I am glad I booked here based on the recommendation. The only negative was that they did not have wash clothes but we had our own anyway. So if you use a washcloth when you shower be sure to bring your own.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2012

My sister and i had quite an enjoyable stay at the viena suites. The room was spacious and the beds were really comfortable! The air con was great with the 35+ degree heat of madrid!
The Viena suites were let down by a few things though, the staff werent always helpful (apart from a few cheerful staff members), even though we left our towels on the floor to be changed they were hung back up every day unchanged and finally the wifi was unreliable in our room.
The hotel also didnt do airport transfers even when we had a very late flight into madrid.
Overall its a nice hotel in a good location, in close proximity to the palace and central madrid however it waslet down by some minor faults.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank MadeleineTD
Reviewed 10 August 2012 via mobile

We stayed here twice and thoroughly enjoyed it both times. Very clean, excellent location for exploring Madrid wIth the royal palace about 15mins walk. The staff were fantastic and even helped us find an English speaking doctor. Free wifi in all room and very good value. Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 16 July 2012

The hotel is excellent. Our room had a balcony from the bedroom, and one from the living room. There is a tv in the bedroom, and one in the living room. It has a kitchen, microwave etc. A kettle is available at reception. Clean and very spacious suites.
We found the reception staff to be excellent. Very friendly and helpful. There is an espresso machine near reception (1.60 per cup), I wasn't sure how to use it, so the man at reception made it for me. Each time we walked passed reception we were greeted with a smile.
The Temble of Debod, Royal Palace, Plaza Mayor, Gran Via and Plaza de Espana are all within 2km. El Corte Ingles is on Gran Via, and has a supermarket.
To get here from the airport, we used the Metro (subway), LIne 8 to Nuevos Ministerios, then change to Line 10 towards Puerta del sur, getting off at Plaza de Espana. From there it is a 500m walk.
We enjoyed our stay at this hotel, and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple