“Very Good stay”

Ranked #124 of 435 Hotels in Madrid
Monteria, Colombia
“Very Good stay”
Reviewed 1 April 2012

We stayed here with my wife and we liked this hotel a lot. Is very well located in principal places in Madrid. You can go anywhere from here. The hotel itself is clean, organised and modern. Very good choice for your trips to Madrid

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
UK
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Arriving in a grey wet Madrid spring day, our initial thought we had picked the wrong location. Never having been to Madrid before we looked for a location near to the Atocha station where the Airport bus terminates. Since it was early afternoon, the shutters were down and the extensive graffiti could be seen everywhere. Wrong end of town we thought.

The hotel is a pleasant business class one part of a chain. The reception was efficient and dealt with our poor spanish very well. The room was modern, clean and perhaps small to non-Europeans.

After unpacking we hit the streets and headed up to the Plaza Major where the Tourist Information have inexpensive (3.9 Euros) walking tours. The one thing the guide said was to loose the street map and explore - which we did.

Turns out our location was one of the best. A short distance away is the Reina Sofia gallery. Slightly further the Prado. The immediate area (Cortes) has some fantastic side streets such as Calle de las Huertas which come alive after 6:00 pm and are very safe to walk around or sit watching the locals pass by. Our favourite was the Retiro park where families spend the weekend on bikes, skateboards, roller blades or exercise.

In looking back it was the right decision to get a quality hotel in a convenient location.

Room Tip: Back of the hotel away from the street.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Stayed here three times. The hotel is a 3 minute walk from Atocha railway station, so it’s quick for trains to N. Ministerios then the metro to the airport. The centre of town is a 10 minutes’ walk away.

I’ve had 2 internal facing rooms and one road facing room. I’ve not found the internal rooms noisy, in fact the opposite – blissfully quiet - but I did not stay in the internal facing rooms over a weekend so I can’t advise how much noise weekend partying may create.

The rooms were modern and comfortable with modern bathrooms. The bed was comfortable, the room equipped with a flat screen TV, fridge, internet (extra charge) and an electronic safe, fitted out in a modern contemporary style. I managed to reserve the wheel chair rooms as they are spacious (huge!) in comparison to the double rooms, which themselves are a standard size.

I’ve never had breakfast here as it is expensive. There are plenty of cafes within a 2 minute walk where you can get breakfast for €6 – Musea de Jamon for instance. If you’re on a weekend break then take a walk up to Plaza Mayor for a nice breakfast while watching the world go by.

Overall a nice hotel, but a bit pricy on the breakfast side. For me this hotel just pips the NH Nacional to the post as it's more modern and has a fresher feel.

Room Tip: Try to reserve a wheel chair access room if you want loads of space. Have found the internal faci...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Houston
Reviewed 12 March 2012

Probably a unique situation and ill try to be objective about it but long story short management has failed and should realize the inner rooms are noisy due to construction. Im on holiday and not business. I do not want to wake up at 8am.

My comments: the room is noisy bc of the construction. I have been woken up. What is that noise?
Mgmt: it is not our problem they have been building for six years...
We can give you another room
Me: its eight in the morning. How do you expect me to get sleep? I have to travel tomorrow at 5am.
Mgmt: sorry we can move you.
Me: why didnt you move me to begin with?
Mgmt: well, we dont know when and where the construction will begin and end and what days they will be working.
Me: im not happy. You should have put me in a different room on the other side.
Mgmt: you ARE the ONLY one complaining about the noise.
Me: can you complement me breakfast? Its impossible for me to go back to bed...
Mgmt: no i will not give you breakfast buffet. It is 19E.  You are the only one complaining.

Quite possibly the worst treatment and neglect.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Tri N
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 3 March 2012

This is a fantastic modern hotel in the heart of Madrid. It's very easy to get to from the airport. Once you exit the terminal look for the Aeropuerto Express Bus making its rounds. There's a tall skinny plastic pillar smack dab where it stops and that also has the bus timetable written on it. There are only three stops. To get to the hotel stay on until the last stop, Atocha Station. Look for the roundabout and a McDonalds across the way. The hotel is just down the street from the golden arches and past some sort of all ages night club. I google street viewed the hotel earlier and was able to recognize it right away.

We loved the location for its easy access to old Madrid. You're across the street from the Reina Sofia and a short walk from the Prado. During our stay we walked to the Prado and bought passes for a Madrid City Tours hop-on and off bus and were able to cover the majority of sights quickly and easily. Never had to use the subway. We also were able to walk all the way to the Royal Palace and back easily. The proximity of the hotel to the main sights made it easy to duck back into our room for a siesta or bathroom break in the middle of the day.

The hotel room was fantastic. We had a nice view of the courtyard so never really heard any traffic or city noise. It was clean and spacious. No carpet which is a big plus in my book... sorry carpet lovers. We absolutely looked forward to coming back to our room at the end of each long day of exploring. It was also in proximity to plenty of restaurants and shops so there was always something nearby. My only gripe is that wi-fi is not free. If you're lucky you can go to the McDonalds near the hotel which has "wi-fi gratis." I was able to connect a few times but the signal was pretty weak. I managed to send out a few iMessages in the brief time I had access but don't expect to be able to FaceTime or do an heavy browsing.

If you want to get back to the airport the same bus that got you here can take you back... it only picks up at Atocha Station. Since we left at 4AM we opted for private transport to the Airport for 38 euros. According to a random taxi driver we spoke to it costs around 30 euros, "mas o menos," from the hotel. We left on a Sunday morning and there were still a good number of people out and about, either going home from a club or staggering about the street. Taxis were everywhere and abundant. Not sure how an early morning weekday would look though. Pretty sure we would have found a taxi but we just opted for the private driver.

Overall, this hotel is the ideal place to stay for anyone wanting to visit Madrid. I'll definitely be back here if I'm ever in the neighborhood.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family