“Ok if you're on a budget”

Hostal Atocha Almudena Martin
Ranked #240 of 436 Hotels in Madrid
Zagreb, Croatia
“Ok if you're on a budget”
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Good location, parking, average room. OK if you are looking just for a place to crash at night.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 6 June 2011

Good location to Santa Ana and metro. Be prepared to check in on the 2nd floor. Check in can be confusing. Staff was VERY helpful and we would go back. very basic. No phone, hairdryer, clocks, etc.. they do have towels

Room Tip: Ask for inside room for quiet
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank MoyerTN
melbourne
Reviewed 30 May 2011

This hotel is well located in terms of eating in Huertas, where there are great tapas bars. The hotel is fine. The rooms are small but are clean and safe. The walls here are very thin and you can hear people coming and going and moving around. For the price is was what I expected and a lot better than many places we stayed in Spain for the same price.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 5 January 2011

Hostal Martin is spotlessly clean and perfectly adequate. The rooms are tiny (I don't think I've ever seen a smaller bathroom) but all come with TVs and free wifi. However, the biggest letdown is the paper thin walls. You can hear absolutely everything going on in the rooms next door and outside (the housekeeping staff are very noisy). This usually doesn't bother me, I'm a very heavy sleeper, but here it did. If you don't mind this, its good value for money in a great location very close to a metro station.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Reviewed 19 October 2010

I booked for 3 nights with a possible extension of 5 nights. They took my credit card number as a guarantee and promised not to use it if I arrived. On arrival I paid for the first 3 nights upfront, in cash, at the rate they quoted me on the internet. They didn't have a single room available so they gave me a double for the same rate. On the morning of the 3rd day, I went to the office and told them I would stay the other 5 days. That was Thursday morning and I was leaving early on the Wednesday morning. I thought it funny that no-one had asked me to pay for the rest of my days; it was a cash upfront hostel. Sunday I went to the office to pay, I had a busy next few days. The person there told me that my room cost 15Euros a night more than I was quoted and more than I had paid for the 1st 3 nights. So I said that no-one had told me nor given me the opportunity to change to neither a single room nor another hostel and so I wasn't prepared to pay that amount. He was the owner and wanted to talk to his staff. The next night I went down to try to sort things out and I was told that “they had told me”, when i said, "sorry, but that's just not true", the woman in the office got up out of her chair and started screaming and yelling at me. I was scared, I'm not used to being abused, and she was in my face! Because of this I didn't back down, I just left. Luckily I was meeting some Madridians for dinner so they came back to the hotel and in Spanish, we agreed with the owner for me to pay 100E + taxes (IVA) if I left the next morning. This was fine with me. I owed only E100 + E8 for the telephone bill and it was a compromise because according to my first receipt and the internet, the tax was included in the price but this was less than the extra 15E (see receipt photos). To cut a long story short, the next morning I went to the office with cash in hand. The screamer wasn't there. I was told she was pregnant and her hormones were bad (I'm a 58 yr old woman lol). But another man was there and he refused to accept the deal. I made him call the owner and so the story goes on. This took more than ¾ hour. I left happy-ish but exhausted.
The point is what would you do if you were on your way to the airport and they tried to charge you more?
First you would argue, and then you'd give up and pay the higher rate because you'd rather do this than miss your plane.
THIS IS THEIR SCAM and also the taxes! Also there are 2 charges on my credit card. One I think is the telephone bill, and the other for 10 Euro, I have no idea but I hava a good bank. I also had problems with the cleaning lady, but that’s another story (see photo). The location of this hostel however is perfect. They also own Hotel Cervalo and 3 others nearby. My advice if you go to this hostel, pay everything upfront so they can't do this to you.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business