Hostal Mirentxu
US$ 276
US$ 233
InterContinental
  • Restaurant
Novotel Madrid Puente de la Paz(Madrid)(Great Value!)
US$ 96
US$ 90
  • Pool
NH Madrid Ventas(Madrid)(Great Value!)
US$ 135
US$ 122
US$ 163
US$ 138
US$ 245
US$ 229
Only YOU Hotels
  • Restaurant
Ibis Madrid Centro(Madrid)(Great Value!)
US$ 105
  • Bar/Lounge
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 30 August 2011

The Mirentxu was a bit like a funeral home; the lights were dim and
the place was creepy.
This is a hostal not an hotel, but there are good bright happy hostals to be found.
Their website pictures are beautiful, stylish, modern.
Based on my experience, the truth is the complete opposite.
What photoshop and airbrushing can do is just pretty much amazing.
The building is divided into three hostals, the Mirentxu was on an upper floor.
From the street you arrive at a pair of enormous wooden doors that have seen better days.
You will probably trip into the courtyard like I did.
There is a watchman on the right hand side of the courtyard in a scruffy
looking office.
I thought this cannot be the right place, looks like a dive.
He pointed to the correct floor up wooden steps; we avoided the old lift.
Our room was bright and clean and that is the best thing I can say
But very disorganised with cables from the digital TV hanging around and the picture breaking up.
The building was surrounded by scaffolding around the back and looking out the scaffolding, the boards were right up outside our dusty window.
There was no air conditioning, so we would have
had to keep the windows shut at night and during the day when we were not there, for security reasons.
I did not fancy being robbed in the middle of the night.
Without open windows, we would have ended up a pair of baked Spanish pies.
The friendly receptionist, working for the owner, poor lad said that noisy work would commence at 8am the next morning when the workmen would start.
But I had requested a quiet room and obviously a safe room would be part of the normal requirements.
The Hostal had debited the price of one day’s lodging one month earlier.
Bells had started to ring then.
“What’s the rush“ I thought then.
I now know.
I explained that we had not received what we had asked and requested for a full refund.
Only gave refund for the day after.
We stayed a couple of hours, long enough to find a nicer, safer, air conditioned hotel round the corner, and paying just a little extra.
If you want a dreary thirty years behind the times hostal, choose this one if not choose another.
The modern traveller wants a hostal that is cheerful, pleasant, air conditioned, safe from being robbed accommodation.
This was not it.
Sadly it was a very disappointing experience.
Get a grip Mirentxu and make this place a happy stay for everyone’s sake.

Room Tip: Don't put too much trust on some hostals; photos can be manipulated and feedbacks are subjective.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank pablochase
Reviewed 27 June 2011

I must be the only one who feels like this but there is no Air Conditioning in the rooms at this place. After we paid and checked in they told us there is no AC and their website says that when we made the reservation. Neither their website states this nor does Hotels.com where we made the booking. Also when we asked Expedia they said that it was going to be a private bathroom for a couple, but it ended up being a shared bathroom instead.

Right now the temperature is over 100 degrees and its extremely hot and sweaty here. If I knew before that there would be no AC here or even one person wrote a review on this, trust me that I would have never booked at this place!!

Hopefully this review helps others out there wanting to make a booking at this place!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 March 2011

O Hostal Mirentxu é gerido por uma simpática e acolhedora família. O hostal fica numa localização fantástica, pertíssimo da Puerta del Sol e dos três principais museus madrilenos. O quarto era acolhedor, confortável, limpo e com boas instalações. A casa de banho era básica mas muito limpa. O serviço de quarto está disponível todos os dias. É caso para afirmar: voltaremos a ficar neste hostal na próxima estadia em Madrid!
Obrigada!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pflp
Reviewed 28 February 2011

If you are an independent Spanish speaker, the Mirentxu can be a great value option. I used to live in Madrid, so I knew it was in a great location that was safe and convenient to all the major sites. I had a single without bath right near the front desk. The proximity was not a problem since the front desk was rarely staffed, and guests are given all the necessary keys upon checking in, so one can come and go at will. The older woman who is there most of the time speaks no English, though some of her younger relatives do.

The room was spacious with basic furnishings, and a wash basin with only cold water. The single bed was adequately comfortable. Heating was fine. There was only one electrical outlet in the entire room, though the hotel has excellent free wi-fi. It looked like there might have been water damage at one corner of the ceiling. There were french doors that led out to the air shaft/courtyard that is so common in Spanish buildings. Since my room did not face the street, it was very quiet unless, as happened one night, one of the other tenants in the building decided to have a loud late night party.

There were two shared bathrooms (one with toilet, shower, and washbasin; one with just toilet and washbasin) just across the hall from my room. Both seemed to be relatively renovated and were spotlessly clean. There were no lines or long waits to use them during my visit.

Probably the biggest drawback to this hotel is the lack of air conditioning, which would be a severe drawback in the summer. And, at peak occupancy, there might be more wait times for the bathrooms and/or increased noise in the hallways.

So for a Spanish speaker who already knows Madrid, staying during the late winter off-peak season, this was a great bargain for 28 euros/night.

One tip: People have written about difficulty finding this hostal. It is on the 3rd floor of the same building as the La Ancha restaurant, famous for its paella, where a meal can cost as much as one night's fee at the hostal! Every taxi driver should know it.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 November 2010

We stayed for 4 nights and found it to be a very good choice. We took the metro from the airport (its a few changes but we had no problems since it's a very good system) and walked from the station to the hostel. It is not all that well signed but there are 2 others in the same building on different floors so look for any hostel signs on the street and I'm sure you'll find it. For the price it is a fantastic location. We spent very little time in the room and found it more than adequate for our needs. It was clean and the bed was comfortable. Although the staff do not speak fluent English, we had no problems communicating with them. They are very accommodating and friendly. We would stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple