“Good City Centre Hotel”

Ranked #171 of 445 Hotels in Madrid
sussex
“Good City Centre Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

This well located hotel is trying to change name to 'Quatro'. Good sized rooms in good condition. Very helpful staff with great tips on travel and museums etc..We had breakfast included in our Easy jet package. Our rooms on the 4th floor would have been quiet, but filiming in the street below creatd a lot of noise.Breakfast was continental but difficult to justify paying 14 euros with so many cafe options.
Really good location. An easy trip from the Airport on 'EMT 24h' shuttle.Get off at the second stop and then a 10 minute walk-aided by a Google map and sign posts).Only 2 euros.
Easy walking to all major sights. Great Restuaurant opposite and a short walk to Puerta Del Sol with grreat range of eateries,bars and street entertainment.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank oldhippy58
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Newport
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

Just got back from a 5 night stay here. GOOD POINTS; the location, which is almost perfectly in the centre of Madrid and 30 seconds walk from Sevilla Metro station. It's also near the winding Huertas/Sol streets, jam-packed with a million different eateries and bars - ideal for wandering through any time of day, it certainly felt perfectly safe. The door staff were also very helpful, providing us with free maps and advice when we checked in. The bed was comfy and both the bedding and the room itself were clean. The flatscreen TV was also cool.

BAD POINTS. Noise, not from outside (the double glazing kept most street noise out) but from inside the hotel. I guess the doors to the room just don't keep out the noise properly as we were both woken up constantly during morning lie-ins with slamming doors and the maids clattering and cleaning around. (I know they're just doing their job but it was a real disturbance!) The room we were in (standard double) was a little small, and both the room and the bathroom could do with refurbishment. The saloon style door really doesn't leave anything to the imagination - yes, you can hear people going to the loo in rather too much detail!

Would I go back? Yes, if I got another good deal. I wouldn't pay full price for this hotel as I've stayed in another 4* hotel in Madrid (the H10 on Gran Via) - the Quatro just didn't quite have the same finishing touches

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Madrid, Spain
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

Let's start with the good things... Beautiful views to Madrid center... Luminous and clean.
However, as I sit on the floor in my hallway, because the Internet works BADLY, let me inform the readers... this hotel has NO AIR CONDITIONER...
We called the reception desk asking if this was a proble with our room... and they said the hotel has air conditioner only during summer... (if in Winter/Fall/Spring the weather is 70+ degrees... you can fry easily, but they will not do anything about it)... not only that they informed us that there is no A/C, the facetious receptionist suggested to open our windows... but he forgot that this would allow the nasty fish smell from the next door restaurant and the noise from traffic to come in...
The only thing I really hope is that they don't charge me for the unwelcomed guest that just flew through the window... a huge FLY...

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Worcester, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

We stayed with our 10 year old at the now-named Hotel Quatro or Hotel Q in the Del Sol area of Madrid. The hotel is in the perfect location to walk to everything, but is noisy at night. The hotel staff were wonderful, very attentive and helpful with things like train schedules, dinner reservations, etc. We had a triple which included another bed for our daughter. Plenty of room and hot water. It is billed as a 4 star hotel, which is stretching it a little. But, given the price we paid ($130) a night for a downtown location, it was worth it. It's a little worn, but all in all, a great value.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Scottsdale-AZ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

I hope this review is useful to you, I describe here the essentials.

Yes, I will start with the name change, because that was confusing me, now the hotel name is "Hotel Quatro puerta del sol" and its official web site is http://www.hotelquatropuertadelsol.com/en/.
Tripadvisor and everybody else still uses the old Quo name.

Purpose
Stayed in the hotel for two weeks in Feb/2012 in a business trip, but also I looked around.

Distances(walking):
Hotel is just a few steps from Sevilla metro station, a few minutes from Plaza Mayor and puerta del sol, about 10 min from Muzeo del Prado, about 15 min from Palacio Real and also 15 min (but in the other direction) from the parque del retiro.
As you can see location is excellent, walking distance from several sites you want to visit.

Hotel:
Breakfast starts at 7:30, at first I though it was a bit late, but then I realized in Spain the time is shifted to the late side, for instance, going out for dinner, I found several restaurants that open only at 20:30 (8:30PM, yes they use the 24h time system). The hotel have different price structures, some include breakfast, others don't. I had the "business package", it included breakfast and non-alcoholic drinks from the mini-bar. Please double check in advance what you are getting.
Breakfast is very good, it is a mix of European (breads, cakes, fruits, juice, yogurt) with American (eggs, sausage, etc).
Staff speaks English and were very helpful.
Used room 509 (5th floor, they have two elevators), room is not big, but is comfortable, always clean, with minibar, TV, air conditioned, mattress to the hard side, but not bad. Bathroom is big and functional.
There is no gym at the hotel, this could have been a deal breaker to me if I had realized it in advanced, the city is not exercise friendly and it was cold, making any outdoor excercise impossible to me, the only form of exercise I got it was walking through the city.

Airport tranfers:
I used Aerocity van service to take me from the Airport to the hotel, this is not a must since there is a Metro station inside the airport, so if you are in a strict budget you can study what transfers you need to get to Sevilla station. I opt for the van because my flight was arriving 9PM and I can't think very well after 15 hours flying. Here is their website: http://www.aerocity.com/,
I made the reservation online, I payed E$21 for a non shared trip, sharing with other people would be cheaper. They have booths in the airport, just go to the booth when you arrive, I had to wait about 10min after I arrived.
On your return flight you might want to use a cheaper transportation to the airport, you would be more familiar with the very good puplic transport system by them, you could either get the Metro or there is a also a airport bus, E$2, that departs about 10 min walking from the hotel. Neither those options might be feasible is you have lots of baggage, because the Metro requires transfers and the bus requires walking.

Subway(Metro):
Excellent, clean, on time, cheap and goes virtually everywhere, did I alredy say the Metro is excellent ?
Get a Metro map at the hotel.
It costs E$1.5 if you buy single trips or E$9.83 if you buy the 10 trip tickets, better deal.
To go to the airport it is a little bit more expensive (E$1 more?), you need to ask for the airport ticket.
You can either buy with a clerk in the station or through automatic vending machines, the machines have multiple language options and only accepts Euros. To get to the platform you have to insert your ticked into an electronic gate, the gate prints the current date into your ticket and returns the ticket to you, you retrieve your ticket, machine opens your access and go forward, entering the station to the platform. It is IMPORTANT to hold on to your ticket until you leave the station, even if there is no more credits in the ticket, once in this two week journey I was asked to show my ticket to a ticket checker, this happened inside the Metro car, while it was moving. I don't know what kind of penalties would apply if I couldn't produce the ticket.

Eating out:
They eat late, food in general was good, I found the food to be prepared with more fat than I am used to. There are lots of fish options, I ate fish everyday in this trip, trout, sole, cod, salmon, etc..
The salads are simpler than ours, mostly lettuce/tomato.
Before leaving I thought their national dish would be paella, now I know it is not, is their Ham or Jamon as they say, everywhere and good. They even have Jamon flavored potato chips from Ruffles that you can get at the supermarket (El Corte Ingles, 5 min walking from the hotel).
Their Ham is semi-cured, it resembles the Italian Parma Ham, but it has less salt and I thought it was more flavorful. I was told this can't be brought to US because it is semi-cured, thanks for protecting us!!
You will have plenty of opportunities to eat Jamon there, the hotel breakfast has it. I was told the good ones (expensive) would melt in your mouth, I did not get any of those.
I found it is common for the restaurants to offer a Menu, with a first/second course (primero/segundo), dessert(postre) and water, sometimes they charge for the bread and butter, just ask when they hand you the bread.
Menus vary a lot in price, I found the one costing above E$12 to be very good, the most expensive I got was around E$21.
Plaza Mayor have several restaurants and I had good experiences there, but I did not have a bad experience really.
There are all sorts of food options, like pizza, kebabs, burguers, etc..., you won't be hungry.

Credit Cards:
Pratically no place accepts AMEX for eating, VISA is widely accepted, some restaurants would only accept credit cards once a minumum was met (E$12 or E$15), so I started asking before hand if they would accept AMEX (almost always no) and if they had any restrictions on accepting VISA.
AMEX was accepted for larger bills as the Hotel, tours, etc..., just do not assume it will be accepted, if this is your only option, find another one.

Sightseen:
Get a map in your hotel.
Places I think you should not miss are
Palacio Real, at least half a day, E$10, there is a beautiful garden on the back that is free to visit.
Near the Palacio Real there is an Egyptian Monument that was donated to Spain, it is very nice, go there in the afternoon so you can get nice pictures with the sun going through the arcs. It closes at 6PM and it is free.
Retiro Park (Parque do retiro), very nice, beautifull garden, buildings, monuments, lake, museum, all free.
Palacio das Telecomunicacoes, beautiful building, there is also an Arc close to it that is very nice.
Just walk on the streed, beautiful architecture, once in a while look up, there are several artifacts that you would miss if you keep eyeing the street level.

Toledo:
I think this is a must see city, about an hour from Madrid, I got a Sunday tour, full day to Toledo. You would miss a lot if do the half a day tour. I chose Sunday because Madrid have attractions that have limited hours on Sunday like the Palacio Real, so it makes more sense to tour out of Madrid on Sunday. I chose a tour to optimize the time in there, but you could go there buy yourself for less than E$10 buy train or bus, the tour includes the attraction entrance fees.
I used TrapSATur, suggested by a Hotel flier (I recommend it), payed E$58 for the day, bought in advanced, this price does not include the lunch, but it includes all the attraction entrances. I joined the group for lunch and payed it myself, I think it would be like E$2 cheaper paying the lunch in advance. Had two options for lunch, I opted for the more expensive E$21 leg of lamb, the best I ate so far. The restaurant is outside Toledo with beautiful views of the city.
Tour leaves 9:15 and it did it on time, drop me off at about 6:30PM.
There is no hotel pickup/dropoff.
I was there during the low season, so the group was small, 7 people, restaurant was comfortable, I don't know how it would be on high season, one thing that worries me is that the guide (bi-lingual) told us Toledo is kind of empty on the low season, but I found it already crowded, I don't want to see it during the high season.

Perhaps a better time to visit Madrid would be April or October ? It would be less cold with a nicier vegetation and perhaps not as many tourists as the summer ? Need research.

Have a nice trip!