“Great location and helpful staff! Highly recommend”
Review of Hotel Europa

Hotel Europa
Ranked #53 of 440 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 27 May 2012 via mobile

My fiancee and I stayed here twice on the same trip with a stay in Barcelona wedged between our stays. We arrived early, 9am on a Friday, and our room was already available.

To start, there are TONS of attractions within a 20 min or less walking distance. If its not within waking distance, tickets for the Madrid city tour bus can be purchased at the front desk for 20€. The bus takes you pretty much anywhere you would want to go in Madrid, you can get off and back on all day until 10. The bus stop is maybe 400 yards, if that, from the front desk.

The rooms themselves are clean and basic. If you're on a vacation you shouldn't be spending too much time in your room anyways. They have wood flooring which is a plus because hotel carpet is absolutely disgusting. Bathrooms are clean, only downside is a small shower door. The floor can get pretty wet while you are taking a shower. The hotel is centrally located so there is always a lot going on outside, the french doors to your balcony do a great job of eliminating any noise. Note that double occupany means 2 twins pushed together to make a larger bed. Found the same to be true in Barcelona, so I'm guessing this is pretty consistsnt within this price range. One weird quirk to the hotel is their, I'm assuming, security policy. You have to leave your room key at the front desk whenever you leave the hotel. Based off other reviews I have read its to make sure you don't bring any guests to your room. This was a non-issue since I was traveling with my fiancee, and they do a great job of memorizing room numbers with guests. They would grab our room key once they saw us walk into the lobby.

The staff was great and very helpful. Be advised that they are a male only staff, which I could see as maybe being a little unfortable if I was a twenty-something female traveing with female friends. But these guys were great! They all speak English. We rarely had to open a door for ourselves and would constantly have to tell the staff that we could carry our own bags. One helped me carry breakfast up to my room. He didn't even ask if needed help, he just basically said that he was going to carry our breakfast trays. They were all very polite and friendly.

To sum it all up, if we are ever fortunate to visit this beautiful city and country again we will be staying at Hotel Europa every time. GREAT LOCATION, friendly staff, clean rooms, and a fair price.

• Stayed: May 2012
3  Thank Adam_phxaz

Reviewed 26 May 2012

I can't believe that there's a hotel with a better location than Hotel Europa. Located right on Puerta del Sol, everything you need is just footsteps away. There is a subway station in the square, but you can walk to every main attraction. There's free internet in the lobby as well as free wi-fi. The staff are also friendly and helpful. Our room was clean and quiet; however, we did stay on the back side of the hotel (away from the main square). There is a restaurant adjacent to the hotel. I would definitly stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the square to avoid late night street noise.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mkilby
Reviewed 23 May 2012

I have stayed here many times over many years, but probably won't stay here again. They have remodeled in recent years, and I actually liked the older version better. It is in a great location, and rooms are modern and clean. There are a couple computers in the lobby guests can use for free internet and they had free wireless. I stayed in May 2012, one night, and thought they were quite expensive, overpriced in my opinion. I moved to an hostal for about half the price which I actually liked better. Hotel Europa seems to have a lot of American guests. They speak English and have a cafeteria right next door.My room, which was otherwise fine, had a yellow security light over the door which I thought was very bright and bothersome at night. I called about it and they said there was nothing one could do but put a towel over it. I've never stayed anywhere in a room with such a bright yellow light over the door at night. That was bothersome. I also did not think the bed was that comfortable. Overall, this is a good place with lots to recommend it. However, one can find very nice, clean accommodation in Madrid for much less expense than Hotel Europa. If you don't mind spending the extra money though, this is a fine hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 May 2012

This is the hotel to book if you want a centrally located hotel where you can almost walk to every main sight in Madrid. Located right on Madrid's main square, the Puerta del Sol, you'll find the convenience of the metro, food, shopping, entertainment and access to tours.

As the hotel is located on one of the pedestrian roads leading off the the square, there is no vehicular access to the main door of the hotel. You'll need to drag your bags for about 100m from the nearest road - Calle Mayor.

Service is passable; do not expect enthusiastic receptionists or concierge service. They are helpful with info but do not expect anything beyond the basic answer.

The rooms are clean and the room we stayed in had a small balcony that overlooked the square itself which is pretty nice. However, the downside is the noise especially in the quiet of the night. During weekends, there're always loud people celebrating in the square to the early hours of the morning, so be prepared to bring ear plugs or ask for an inward (no view) looking room. The weekend after we left the hotel, there was a very large public demonstration at the square itself as it is the gathering point of Madrid.

This is a basic hotel, with no facilities. The free Wifi service is pretty okay but you need to ask for the password - they don't give it to you if you don't.

This hotel's location sells itself.

The price is very reasonable for

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view and you'll get one that faces Puerta del Sol. But be careful it can b...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Clean, comfortable, reasonably priced, and centrally located, this is a good choice for a stay in Madrid. We had a room overlooking the plaza, and it was fun to watch the energy of the place gain momentum...political protests, mariache bands, street performers, lovers, tourists... A wonderful experience. However, we hardly slept because of the noise. The party contined unil 4am. Front desk staff was very understanding and helpful, moving us to a quiet interior room for the rest of our stay.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple