“Holiday week in Madrid”
Review of Hotel Europa

Hotel Europa
Ranked #54 of 441 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 5 January 2012

What a great hotel in a great location. Clean, friendly staff, great restaurant attached, quiet despite being in the middle of the action. Rooms are not heavily decorated so don't expect an old style European Hotel, but everything is clean, bathrooms are modern, elevators are accessible. We booked four rooms and had a mix of locations... one with a balcony overlooking Puerta Del Sol (great for the party crowd), one overlooking the side streets (good people wathcing) and two on the interior (quiet and relaxing).

Metro and High Speed Rail lines are literally steps away...you are a 10-15 minute walk from every major attraction in Madrid and within steps to unbelievable restaurants, nightclubs, shoping...etc!

Room Tip: Request rooms facing Puerta Del Sol for the most excitement and energy. Request those facing the cou...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Travelerwithkids65

Reviewed 28 December 2011

Last November, We visited for first time the city of Madrid and the Hotel Europa made our visit to this great city very memorable. After months of researching and based on the good reviews from TA travelers and also Rick Steves’ Madrid and Toledo guide, we decided to use the Hotel Europa as our second home away from USA while we were visiting the city of Madrid.

The reservation process was very smooth. As soon as we decided to stay at this hotel, I immediately sent them an e-mail inquiring about availability, prices, services and cancelation policies and Mr. Garaban, always responded to my e-mails in a very promptly manner. He answered all my questions and gave me all the information that I need it. After sent them a couple of e-mails and talked to them on the phone, I was able to send my reservation by e-mail and I received the confirmation e-mail from Mr. Garaban a few minutes later. Unfortunately, we were forced to change our entire trip itinerary a few weeks prior to our trip to Madrid due to changes on the airline’s schedule. So I had to contact the hotel in order to modify our reservation and without any problems Mr. Garaban updated our reservation.

Check in-out: When we arrived in the early morning hours to the hotel, the check in process was very fast. When it was time for us to check out they had our check ready and it did not have any hidden fees. The guys on the front desk were very friendly and efficient.

Room: Because we arrived around 8:00AM the room that I requested previously (double bed-matrimonial) was not ready, they told us that there was a room ready with a double bed which was like two twin beds put together. Honestly, because we were so tired, we did not care about the type of bed so we accepted that room. To our surprise, the room was located in the fourth floor and it was one of the corner rooms. It has two windows and we were right in front of Puerta Del Sol. This room overpassed our expectations. For us it was amazing!

The room had a double bed (two twins beds put together), an LCD TV with international channels, a big closet, a desk, a safety box which you need to pay a fee if you are using it and of course the room has a big and clean bathroom.

Noise level: Our room was sound and light proof BUT because this room is right on Puerta Del Sol, we heard some noise. Not a big deal for us but If you are a light sleeper, you should bring earplugs.

One thing that I want to add and please do not take this comment as a negative for the hotel on the contrary I think is more like an interesting fact is that if you are in the rooms facing Puerta del Sol and if you are in bed, you will feel some light tremors. These tremors are very light and are caused because underneath of Puerta Del Sol is the train-metro station, therefore every time that a train-metro passes, you will feel the tremor. I don’t know if the guests on the interior rooms feel the tremors but I did when we stayed in the rooms facing Puerta Del Sol. Interesting fact!

I would like to write more good things about this hotel but I don’t want to make this review like an essay. The only thing that I know is that if I go back to Madrid, I will stay again at the hotel Europa without any doubts.

Room Tip: If you don't mind the noise, book the corner rooms facing Puerta del Sol. The corner rooms are b...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BDiaz
Reviewed 14 December 2011

We spent 4 nights at this Madrid hotel. Perfect location...in the center of Puerto del Sol. Room had hardwood floors, ceiling to floor window that opened like french doors, comfy bed, nice size bathroom with bidet, toilet, shower/tub, hairdryer, etc. Good size closet. Hotel was quiet and clean. Good a/c. Free internet at computer in lobby. Helpful staff that gave good directions, tour tips, etc. Hotel is within easy walking to MANY places of interest/sights, good restaurants, shopping. etc. Area felt safe. Many tables & chairs facing out on the patio for great people-watching. We enjoyed that SOOO much...it was a nightly event. Good food and wine. We would gladly stay here again.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, request a room inside courtyard. Rooms facing del Sol have great views.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank HawaiiKaiGail
Reviewed 6 December 2011

just returned from a weekend in Madrid.Hotel room was lovely very clean and warm, we had a room facing the square which was noisy but once windows closed it was not too bad it was worth it to be able to view the hustle and bustle and our room looked directly onto the xmas tree.
Breakfast was basic but a good start to day.Excellent location for the sights and sounds of madrid.Would definately stay there again.Staff were very nice too.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank susanL912
Reviewed 2 December 2011

Hotel Europa has the best location!! Right in the middle of Sol.
I got a room with a balcony facing the square. It was noisy...as the Spanish typically sing and dance late in to the night. However, the room was not as noisy with all the doors closed.

Room is pretty basic. Clean.
Showers were good and bathroom well maintained.
Shower amenities were not so great. Best you bring your own stuff.

There is a restaurant / coffee shop available. I ate breakfast here every day.
internet was free in the lobby. (wireless).
(they also had a couple of PC's with internet access in the lobby)

OVerall nice, safe and clean hotel.
The front desk staff were very knowledgeable And willing to help with directions, etc.
THey all spoke English, which was very useful!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business