“Very good hotel in excellent location”

Lapepa Chic Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 278 Madrid B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 February 2012

La Pepa Bed and Breakfast is a brand new hotel in Madrid at a superb location. It is located in an office building wall to wall to the Thysen Bornemiza Museum and just a 5 minutes (even less) walk to the Prado Museum. It is also close to historic downtown, the Plaza Mayor and La Gran Vía, as well to the Retiro Park and Reina Sofia Museum.

The rooms are small and well designed, the B&B offers all day tea and coffee, and breakfast is good, on the weekends breakfast is served at a next door local cafeteria. It offers a very good wi-fi internet connection.

Irma the owner, and Noemi were always ready to help and were quite friendly. It is a very good option to stay in Madrid, it is very quite while you are in the middle of a vibrant city.

Room Tip: Interior room is a good option for good sleep.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Joseatoro
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Lapepa Chic Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed 13 February 2012

This place is refreshing and offers something a bit more homely compared to big hotel chains. Great location, excellent service, very clean and a good night's sleep.
It took us about 20 minutes to get from the airport to Lapepa chic which is opposite the Palace hotel on Plaza de las Cortes. The taxi cost €30 (including an airport €5 supplement). It's best if you let the BnB know what time you expect to arrive as the reception might not be manned all day long; we returned one afternoon and noticed a couple struggling to get in the building so be prepared.
Great welcome once you check in and it was good to be given a list of things to do and places to eat and drink by area (places that Spanish people might go to rather than tourists).
The rooms are basic but very clean and modern. We had a room looking onto the main road and heard no noise atall - and we loved the black out blinds! Good shower with some complimentary gel but the glass patterned sliding bathroom door did cause a few laughs as it's possible to see your friend (or lover) on the
loo. We also had a room near the entrance which meant we did hear the front door buzzer a lot and we also knew when other guests were having breakfast but I have stayed in noises big hotels to be fair.
Breakfast was good and consisted of a help-yourself buffet (toast, cereal, fruit, cheese) and good tea and coffee or juices. The kitchen area is lovely but small and got quite busy one morning but we took a coffee back to our room and returned to have toast ten minutes later.
What we did really appreciate was being able to make a coffee and sit at the kitchen table after a few hours of sightseeing - followed by a lovely siesta before dinner!
This place is great in terms of location; we didn't use the metro,buses or taxis (apart from getting to the airport) as we could walk everywhere.
A recommended, informal place in the centre of an amazing city. If you intend to spend your time in a hotel and need room service, a spa etc, etc, you would need to consider a big chain. Otherwise, this is the perfect place for a three day city break.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Adam_travelling
Reviewed 22 January 2012

My family and I stayed at Lapepa Chic for 3 days in early January. What a lovely surprise. The location is perfect.The minimalist design of red and white is most effective. It is very clean and all the staff are friendly and nice. The beds are wonderfully comfortable and the bathrooms are cleverly created with glass enclosures with red designs on the glass to create privacy. There are laid out items for breakfast in the main room of the B and B. There is enough variety for everyone's taste. You couldn't get a better location. It's just blocks from El Prado and other important museums. And it's an easy walk to Puerta del Sol. Irma, the owner, is so helpful. She is dedicated to her B and B guests having a comfortable experience at her place and in having a good time in Madrid. She told us that her goal is to make visitors to Madrid feel they have come to visit a friend where they feel welcomed. Irma directed us to the best tapas bars and places to visit--places that she, herself, frequents. She pointed us in the direction (very close) to a great laundromat--important when on a long trip. Plus, there is free internet!! It's such a pleasant change from the impersonal experience at a hotel. We will definitely stay there when we go back to Madrid.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the street for lots of light.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Daniel S
Reviewed 19 January 2012

This trip to Madrid was different than my previous trips because I planned to stay for a minimum of 5 weeks. I wanted to start studying Spanish and, as an adult, I knew the best way to do it was through immersion. But as a single woman on a budget traveling alone, location, safety, comfort and value were very important to me. I thought about renting a flat but during my search I came across a new venue located in an amazing location right in the very heart of Madrid. I wasn't sure it would be right for the duration of my visit but I decided to check it out and see if it was as good as advertised. From the minute I walked in and met the wonderful owner Irma I knew I'd found my base in Madrid. She is very warm and kind and made me feel welcome immediately. Upon entering what is otherwise an office building to take the elevator to the 7th floor, you may be a bit thrown off. There are no fluffy, comfy sitting areas and there is no room service as it's not a hotel- and as an aside, due in part to it's minimal design in addition to their thorough staff, it's cleaner than most 5 star hotels I've stayed in- but is has everything you need. Lovely comfortable beds, modern design, and the basics you need to enjoy your stay. And, get this, free internet! Not only that, but Irma and her staff care about your visit and want you to have a great time so much that they even give you a guide to their favorite places to eat, drink and hang out. The location is among the safest in the city and it's just minutes from the Prado by foot next to the the beautiful fountain of Neptune. I was able to walk to all the major plazas, markets and attractions (in heels, no less!) with ease. The crew is always ready with a smile, a helpful tip or suggestion and they were awesome about helping me as I took baby steps learning their native language. It's hard to put a value on how the care that Irma and her staff put into looking after their guests and the facilities contributed to my stay in Madrid. And I ended up staying weeks longer than I had initially anticipated! Whether your trip is for a few short days or, as mine was, for over a month, it would be hard to beat the combination of great things on offer at La Pepa Chic!

Room Tip: Even though I found the guests and staff to be really very considerate about noise, if you are a ver...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank DevonLynn
Reviewed 4 November 2011

Location, design, flexibility (early check-in was possible in my case), small boutique format giving home feeling, brand new! I stayed in the double room with a view and was extremely happy with my stay. Would only mention poor sound insulation between room doors and the reception area but very good one towards the street. Shower is definitely on the small side but doable and meets the expectation set by the pictures on the website. Will stay again and recommend to others

Room Tip: Choose the double room with a view - you will enjoy it a lot and will be pleasantly surprised by a l...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo