Stayed here three nights for a business meeting. There are many good things to say about this hotel and if all stars align you might have a very enjoyable stay in this wonderful city, but I just happened to hit the low notes, which makes me never want to come back to this place.
The good things: 1. beautiful lobby and hallway designs, really well done cross-over of modern and classical accents. 2. in pinciple beautifully modern designed and well functioning guest rooms as far as the bare room design and fixtures go. 3. rich breakfast menu.
The not so good things: 1. small dungeon pool in the dark basement with terrible service (off note there is a pool picture in their prospectus - no idea were that was taken but hardly in that pothole). 2. ill-ventilated tiny gym with juck-dirty barely functioning equipment. There are up to four people hanging out around the gym who seam like hotel staff but none is doing anything but chatting. Not even spray and paper to clean off the layers of rotting sweat on the treadmill. Since the equipment looked like that, I didn't even dare to go into the hot-tub or pool. The gym is hot, has no airflow / ventilator, and the ceiling is very low. If you are 190 / 6'5'' - don't even think about getting on the treadmill. 3. there are three 8 person elevators of which one didn't work a considerable period. The eights person brings luggage and the elevator stops = eight Standard Europeans without luggage = 75kg basta => plan at least 10 minutes for one trip up or down during "rush hour". 4. The breakfast room had 2 service staff - good luck getting that coffee. 5. the room windows don't close appropriately and whine all night if there is wind; naturally they are also pretty useless as noise insulators. 6. Most aggravating: guest rooms on level 2 and 4 are to be considered asylums for the hearing impaired. If your ear is doing what it's supposed to do, the staff will keep you up all night, guaranteed. There are meeting rooms on level 1 and 3 and chairs, tables, any kind of equipment are per strictest rules only moved during night time. Now, what's important to consider here is that we are taking stone/marble floors and steel frame tables and chairs which are by default moved not by lifting them up and carrying them but by dragging them under the maximum noise development possible from one room to the next. 7. staff behaved dishonest to me: at check in I was told that my room was facing the street but quiet; when I hadn't yet figured out that the commotion was coming from the conference levels the hotel representative responding to my desperate call wanted to make me believe that it was just the occasional street traffic noise; when I went downstairs where the tables and chairs were thrown around I was told that they apologized but that they were done now (that was until I left) by the time I reached my room they were already back in full swing; when I came to the front desk to change rooms the next day, which was arranged by our meeting organizer, I was told that the hotel was sold out and that I had to stay where I was; when being assertive, suddenly a room opened up and happened to be clean, facing to the quieter side of the hotel and on a higher floor, several flights up from the conference area. 8. The meeting break service was dreadful. The coffee never drinkable, the hot water always cold, the sodas always warm.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Completely renovated in 2008 and located just steps away from Madrid main square Plaza de España, this modern Hotel offers spectacular views of the Royal Palace and Casa de Campo. Perfectly situated within walking distance of Gran Via, Plaza Mayor, Puerta del Sol and Madrid's main museums (Prado, Thyssen,...). In addition, a Metro stop can be found right at the entrance of the hotel allowing convenient travel to the airport or Madrid's main local attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda, Melia Hotels APAC, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Prestigia so you can book your Melia Madrid Princesa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Melia Madrid Princesa Hotel Madrid
- Sol Melia Madrid Princesa