“Good City Centre Hotel”

Melia Madrid Princesa
Ranked #67 of 437 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Stayed here for one night on a business trip at the end of January. Hotel is in a great location in the heart of the City, just 2 minutes walk from the Gran Via & Plaza Espana. Despite being so centrally located, I did find my hotel room fairly quiet, it did help I was located on the top floor (12th) but my room did overlook Gran Princesa, the views of Madrid & the surrounding area were breathtaking.
My room was large with plenty of amenities although waiting for hot water for the shower was something I wasnt expecting, lack of English speaking channels on the TV was a disappointment but not an issue for one night.
I didnt eat in the restaurant but the breakfast choice was excellent with plenty of choice in a large dining area, the staff were very friendly & check in & out was very efficient.
I would stay in this hotel gain whether on a business or leisure trip

Room Tip: Ask for high floor room with a view although it does mean waiting longer for the lifts, ask for a ro...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank grinch99
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 31 January 2012

I am one of four girlfriends that take an annual weekend city break around end Jan. This year we chose Madrid & I was faced with the daunting task of selecting the hotel. Given the fact that my friends are quite particular about the accommodation we stay in I spent a lot of time on the research and selected this hotel which really paid off.

The hotel doesn't look much from the outside but once you walk inside the door you are in an oasis of calm & excellent service. The staff were the perfect mix of friendly efficiency, the rooms although reasonably compact were well designed and the beds among the most comfortable we had experienced.

Interestingly enough one of my reasons for selecting this hotel was the spa and we didn't actually use it. Partly because there was a €15 charge to do so for a day, partly because it was closed on Sundays but mainly because we didn't really have time.

The breakfast buffet which was included in our rate was superb. We ate two lunches and a dinner in the hotel bar & restaurant again partly because our special offer (with bookings made thru the Melia.com website) allowed us €40 per room per day to spend here but the food was fantastic & the menu prices, even had we not had our €40 allowance, were extremely reasonable for a 5 star hotel.

The location right beside Ventura Rodriguez metro stop was also a real bonus. One word of caution my wallet was pick pocketed on the crowded metro on the Friday evening - apparently an all too common Madrid experience.

In the interest of balance I'm searching for something critical to say about the hotel and all I can come with is that the myriad lighting systems in the room were a bit over the top & complicated to operate to the extent that we regularly cast each other into darkness in the bathroom. Oh and also why put a plug in a hand basin if it's designed NOT to stop water?

Very minor issues in the grand scheme of things. A great stay!

• Stayed: January 2012
3  Thank TravellingKIttyIRL
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I stayed two nights a the Melia Madrid Princesa and it was a great experience. The hotel has a really "cool" feel throughout the property. The lounges are nice and comfortable and the staff was very friendly and helpful, especially to a non-spanish speaking American! I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I stayed here on business last week for a couple of nights and it was very compfy.

I have to say it looked like a 1960's office block on the outside but probably a 4* on the inside. There rooms were very nice and the beds compfy.

The staff were very helpful.

I also went to El Club Allard for dinner which is less than a 5 minute walk away. Quite outstanding food.

for the price at £140 pounds I thought it very good and werepositioned.

Chris

Room Tip: Ask for a room on one of the higher floors. You get a great view of Madrid
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 January 2012

I loved my room, and the bathroom was very luxurious! My room was very funky, stylish, and beautiful. The hotel was lovely. The location was great in Madrid. The staff was fairly friendly. I had trouble with my window and a maintenance person literally came within a minute from my call to the front desk. It was a good stay for a 5 star but the staff could have been more friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo