“Extremely comfortable with great service”

The Westin Palace Madrid
Ranked #39 of 436 Hotels in Madrid
“Extremely comfortable with great service”
Reviewed 11 July 2012 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay at the Palace Hotel. Our room was extremely comfortable-great bed and bathroom. Location was convenient-near the Prado and a 10 minute walk to Puerto del Sol. We used the concierge frequently and they never let us down. They were friendly, knowledgeable, and competent. All in all, it was a great stay.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (564)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
seattle
Reviewed 10 July 2012

The Westin Palace is a classic old hotel in the middle of the city. The staff (especially concierge) were outstanding. They seemed to have nothing but time to help. We enjoyed afternoon tea and early evening drinks in the beautiful atrium.

I have a minor complaint. I'm a Starwood Gold member. This means I should receive an upgrade over and above their usual starwood rooms. This was clearly not what I received because I was on the one floor dedicated to Starwood guests. I also learned there were rooms much more modernized on other floors. The rooms were clean but very small. I resent hotels that don't follow the starwood points rules.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
, General Manager at The Westin Palace Madrid, responded to this review, 12 July 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your response. I appreciate all the wonderful comments you have said regarding the hotel and in particular the concierge staff.
I am very sorry to hear you felt you were not given the appropriate room. Gold members are entitled to an upgrade to a preferred room (within the same room type category).
If indeed you stayed on the 6th floor then you did receive a preferred room.
Due to the success of the Starwood Preferred Guest program we also have preferred rooms on other floors. All preferred rooms have a special plate "SPG" on the entrance door .
Looking forward to welcome you again
Marc L
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 July 2012

If you're like me a hotel can make or break my travel experience. So I'm please to report that the Westin Palace Madrid helped make my trip lovely. Thanks to Carla M for helping to coordinate my stay and making sure it was a special experience.

For those who feel the Palace is a big American Hotel in Europe, to some extent that may be true. I've stayed at many Westin's in the US and the Westin Excelsior in Rome and for the most part when you stay with Westin, you know what you are getting...and to be frank, I like that and count on that. The Palace is a bit like the Excelsior, a grand "older" hotel with mostly refined service and amenities. Sure you do pay a price for that but if you are lucky SPG does have a great rewards program and using frequent travel points is always nice. The staff, mostly friendly was a bit more aloof than which I received in Rome. Somewhat disappointing but may be cultural. Some bad info from one concierge was addressed and the other concierges worked to make sure accurate info was conveyed. The breakfast buffet is beautiful and as many noted is served in a beautiful locale under the stained glass dome. But the breakfast choices are extensive and far superior to some of the "smaller" more European hotels I've stayed in. I actually really enjoy breakfast and the hot chocolate (dont laugh) is to die for...even in June.

The location is perfect if you are spending your time touring the museums (across from the Thyssen and not a bad walk to the Reina Sofia and Prado. You can walk to the train station in 20 minutes (if you are not lugging baggage) but its a short cab ride for most. A bit further from the Palace, Temple of Dedod etc. Easy walk to Puerto del Sol and San Miguel Market (which we really enjoyed).

My only real disappointment was the beds. The heavenly bed is Westin's tried and true and for some reason the beds were much harder than the traditional Westin standard. I was told these were new beds...and they looked it because I inspected the mattresses and they were pristene. But I did miss the softness and comfort of the traditional heavenly set up and for this, i hope they go back to it quickly. But on the up side I still slept fine, just like the softer plusher heavenly.

But all in all, if you can find a good price, the Westin is definitely a good place to stay.
But it can be expensive so, at least for me, the rate does make a difference too.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the fountain. I spoke to the hotel prior to arrival to let them know my request...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank levart12
Bramhall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the westin palace hotel for 3 nights and overall it is a good hotel.

Upon check in we were upgraded to a premier room free of charge which was very kind of them.

The room itself was large, clean and nicely decorated. The shower was wonderful and kept its pressure and temperature well. the bed was exceptionally comfortable but it is made up with feather pillows so if you are allergic like myself they changed them.

The breakfast was ok, there was a large selection of pastries, fruits, bacon, sausage and eggs to order but a lot of the hot food was cold. The actual quality of most of the food was brilliant. The breakfast food area was rather cramped so it was difficult to get some food when it was busy. The dining room was exceptionally beautiful and the service was good as they cleared the plates promptly.

The location of the hotel is second to none, the Spanish football team paraded the euro 2012 trophy whilst we were there and that was a few minute walk away. It is located near all the museums and the san Miguel market is about 15-20 minute walk away which is a must see.

Negatives of the hotel were that we received a wake up call our first morning there at 6.30am, we explained we hadn't asked for one and just as we were going back to sleep (about 10minutes) later we received another phone call to tell us indeed we were correct and it had been a mistake to call us. This was extremely annoying and an unnecessary phone call.

The staff on the desk when we checked out seemed very cold and uninterested. They did not ask how our stay was and this should be asked as standard.

Overall the hotel was very good but for its 5 star rating the heating of the breakfast needs to significantly improve.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank KerryLaurence121
Graham, Texas
Reviewed 10 July 2012 via mobile

When we arrived we were promptly greeted and were given one of our two adjoining rooms, as the other wasn't clean. We were told it would be about an hour, but it turned out to be 5 with 3 phone calls to remind them. Small blip, but a bit annoying after a 10 hour plane ride.

Rooms are large enough and comfortable with the Weston "Heavenly" bed. They were clean and had the routine accoutrements. Adjoining rooms were available and great, since we have 2 young daughters.

Except for breakfast, we didn't eat at the hotel. The breakfast was filling and had many choices, but not outstanding and was similar to most buffet breakfasts at large hotels.

Room service is quick, but very expensive, even for a hotel. Movies cost about $20USD.

In Spain for 2 weeks and will leave through Madrid. Not sure that we'll stay here before departure, but if you're looking for a place close to the Museo Prado, Sofia, Plaza Mayor, Plaza Sol, and Mercado San Miguel, you can't find a better place.

• Stayed July 2012