“Fab day out”

Ranked #2 of 780 things to do in Madrid
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Prado has one of the largest art collections in the world, and is best known for its diverse assortment of works by Velasquez, Goya and El Greco.
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Fab day out”
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Liked everything, but wear comfy shoes and leave coat/bag in cloakroom

Visited February 2012
1 Thank MrandMrsIngleby
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow

32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Old Masters”
Reviewed 8 March 2012

I'm a museum person.Every trip I take abroad includes all major museums and many minor ones in whatever local I go to.This is my second time at the Prado. Although i enjoyed it, its not my favorite Madrid museum. I think that's because its always hyped as being one of the great museums of the world...and although its home to many masterpieces...it doesn't have the range and diversity of the Thyssien. If youare someone who knows the artists you will appreciate it...but if you're not that knowledgeable or only have time to do one museum, I recommend skipping the Prado and going to the Thyssien. It s got something for everyone...from the modern period to the old Masters.

Visited February 2012
donny
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“The prado”
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Free between 5pm-8pm! queue looked so long but moved really quickly.

Visited March 2012
1 Thank billybillyjohnjohn
London, United Kingdom
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“A must see”
Reviewed 7 March 2012

We went on a Sunday to see the wonderful collection of Spanish art in this museum. The Goyas were spectacular. The collection is huge so when we found ourselves in a room we were less interested in (still life with fruit, for example), we'd simply skip on to the next room. A good two hours required to see the collection properly. Check the website as they have free entry at different times of the week. We paid €24 for two, only to find that 10 minutes later the museum entered into a free entry period, which was a shame - though it meant we walked straight in - when we left the queue was around 200 people deep.

Visited April 2011
Brighton, United Kingdom
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Confusion”
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I wanted to buy a 3 day pass as advertised in the Rough Guide as a good money saving idea - in Spain for 2 days so wanted to get the most out of it. Although I appreciate this is a Spanish museum when interiviewing for their staff its interesting that so often the management have chosen people who do not speak a word of english or perhaps this is a way to fob off tourists. I asked for the triple pass the thyssen, the sofia and this one..no one understood this..but eventually after que a bit again I got to speak to someone who issued me the ticket unfortunately my travel money card where you put cash on and pay did not work here though it did in the canteen? I paid but later found out that on Sunday the Sofia is free..so no need for that one, and the Thyssen well I had seen the posters for chagall so wanted to see that however its a separate exhibition and you have to pay for it when you get there as I did not want to see the other stuff there it proved a waste of money to buy this ticket as then I had to pay again for the Chagall so really I had paid 20 euros just to go to the Prado...anyway its a great gallery but as others say badly organized - overcrowded at times but you can avoid the hordes..there are signs but no readily available guides to the rooms that I could see which you could take and study..
so it takes ages to work out where you are and where you are going..I went to the cafe to start with and just tried to get used to the idea of being there and slowly made a start I must say I put off starting for an hour..it just seemed so daunting - even finding the restaurant and loos was quite a mission!
Art was opulent great and disturbing and a bit macabre no more nudes, crucifixions and gory deaths please but also dotted with things of great beauty..the durer adam and eve..the wonderful veil made of marble, etc etc.a nice contrast to the Picasso and Chagall very lucky with that.

Visited March 2012