“Bargain basement price but very good”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Margarit

Hotel Margarit
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Girona
Cheadle, United Kingdom
“Bargain basement price but very good”
Reviewed 13 December 2011

I don't really know how to review this place--it is a bit of a conundrum! I stayed here for three nights as a solo traveller. I had just come to have a look at the town and do a bit of walking so I thought I would stay on the cheap. I saw reviews of this place and thought why not. I paid the princely sum of 102 euro for 3 nights with breakfast so was not expecting much, I even booked a single room as I was in a miserly mood that day.
When I arrived on the early Ryanair flight from Manchester the hotel is just a 5 minute walk from the bus station (just cross the main road and keep walking till you get to the river and look out for "cartridge world" with the big yellow sign, the hotel is right there) The receptionist is housed in a tiny but clean reception rabbit hutch, she asked me if I wanted to leave my luggage in the baggage room until my room would be ready at 1pm. She gave me a map of the area and I set off for food and sightseeing.
I returned at about 2.30 and was given the key to my room plus a code should I return after 10pm (reception is manned till 10pm and only till 4pm on sunday ) They also email the first days code to you before you arrive so dont forget to bring it if you are arriving late. The room was very small but had a very pleasant toilet and shower with modern and very clean facilities and a cute but odd balcony which overlooked the "Zen Garden" below. This was room 222 by the way, and I guess that all rooms ending in 22 would be similar. The balcony was odd because even thogh only my room had access to it the window of the neighbouring room opened on to it so I felt I was intruding when I sat out with my beer and a book.
The single bed looked awfully small (I have a king size at home) and I did regret not booking a double room, after all it was only about 10 euros more a night! What I did not expect was one of the best nights sleep I have had in a hotel for years, the airconditioning was silent and controlled the temperature superbly, the bed was very comfy. The room was totally dark.
Breakfast is served from 7am to a decent 10am in a small room on the first floor next to the "Zen Garden" There is no hot food except toast and just one type of ham and cheese but the bread is fresh, the pastries good and the juices are decent quality. A fair choice of cereal, good fresh coffee and a very friendly welcome make it well worth the 4 euro charge. I did hot have to bother with lunch and I was walking big distances.
Overall this was a surprise to me, I wish I had booked a larger room as it was a bit pokey but it was very cheap, very clean and I slept very well. I would certainly reccomend it to anyone, if you are on a real budget book a room ending in 22 and you can stay in comfort for peanuts.

Room Tip: spend the extra 10 euros if you have it and definitely book breakfast, it is great value
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank HeatonClassic
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Haifa, Israel
Reviewed 2 October 2011

This place got quite mixed reviews and I must say that I am having a great time here. This is my second night of 4. I asked to change rooms because while my first was large with a great shower and a little patio, I did not have wireless reception and I decided to go for better reception and a smaller room. The place is clean and the staff is friendly and helpful. The location is terrific, placed exactly between the bus/train station and the old city. It's about 15 minutes walk from the station and that is with my bad knees that slow me down. It is about 3 minutes to the old city where you can wander around the beautiful quaint streets with their many shops and museums and restaurants. The part of the river near the hotel is almost dry, but that's not the hotel's fault. Just a few meters on, there is plenty of water with lovely reflections of the colourful buildings later in the afternoon toward evening.
I added breakfast at 6 euros. While it is not one of the best breakfasts I have ever had, it is adequate. I worry about my protein later in the day.

Room Tip: Decide what is most important to you - having wireless access in the room or a larger and more moder...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Sheri O
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 27 September 2011

The hotel is pretty basic, but we didn't need much more than a place to sleep off jetlag and set out from to see the sights of Girona. A lovely plus was a tiny balcony off the room with a view of the Zen garden where we could sit. Bathroom had only a shower, but was very clean. Bed a bit hard, only 2 pillows. Parking could be had about 6 minutes' walk from the hotel in a pay lot or free on the street if you circled a bit. Concierge was helpful and charming. Breakfast also basic, but not expensive.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 11 September 2011

We (my wife, I and my 3 daughters) enjoyed our one night stay at the hotel, which is at a walking distance from the old city district, that was our target of visit in the city.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 2 September 2011

I had just come from a conference in Belfast & needed to get into the Spanish culture. Pensio Margarit provided not only a value added gateway but reminded me of why I return to Spain so often. Being walking distance from the rail station & right at one of the bridges across to the old part of town, I felt immediately at ease in this wonderful country. My room was enormous, with a bathroom so beautifully tiled that I took photos of it to send back to my interior designer friend in Sydney. Breakfast was very good & the staff went out of their way to make sure I was comfortable & well-oriented for my exploration of this town. I would definitely recommend Pension Margarit & will be staying here again on my next trip.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo